Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
That isn't saying much though.

Houston is flatter, but DFW is pretty damn flat.
It depends on the area of DFW. South of 30 is generally more hilly. Also Fort Worth and heading west from there can get hilly too. The north side where most of the growth is happening is the area that's relatively flat and "rolling" at best. The biggest hills in the Houston metro are in Montgomery County or parts of Fort Bend. Those hills would be flat for even some DFW residents, but for Houstonians it's "unique" to the area.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
GAWC rankings are fluid from year to year and really don’t mean a whole lot. Dallas has held an Alpha category ranking in recent years and it most likely will do so again.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:49 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Sure, in 1 selected speciality. Mayo Clinic ranked in the top 5 in all 3 Specialty categories.

Houstonians Over Rank their Med Center. Nationally and internationally Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, and Clevland Clinic are all much better well know and higher ranked.

Again, overall it really doesn't matter for the average person. What matters the most in quality care is how much money you have.
I don't know that Houstonians over-rank the Texas Medical Center. Living in Houston we have more information regarding the activity in the medical center and that probably makes us feel good about the quality of healthcare provided there.

People come from all over the world for treatment at the Texas Medical Center. To your point though, the ones we hear about are "wealthy" or "famous." Just off the top of my head I can think of Beau Biden, Phil Mickelson's wife, and Gabby Gifford who all came to Houston for treatment of some kind.

I think you underestimate the reputation of the Texas Medical Center. That may be a good thing because you likely have not required any of the treatments it is most known for.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default Over Rank the Med Center?

The Med Center is the largest medical complex in the WORLD! How in the heck do you "Over Rank" the largest Medical complex in the entire world?
You are diminishing the value of a massive asset just because its in a rival city? Yes, I know its personal there are plenty of things that I admire about Dallas too. But please don't diminish the Texas Medical Center. It is something for all Texans to be proud of. Remember that Houston is Texas's largest City. So don't be surprised if it may have a few more things than Dallas does. Don't forget that Rice University is right there in the Medical center area too. Are you going to try to diminsih Rice University as well? Yes that's right. Dallas does not have a University on the Level of Rice. Not even close. Yes I know you have SMU which is a great school also but it's a few rungs down from Rice.

Quote:
Sure, in 1 selected speciality. Mayo Clinic ranked in the top 5 in all 3 Specialty categories.

Houstonians Over Rank their Med Center. Nationally and internationally Mayo Clinic, John Hopkins, and Clevland Clinic are all much better well know and higher ranked.

Again, overall it really doesn't matter for the average person. What matters the most in quality care is how much money you have.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
That isn't saying much though.

Houston is flatter, but DFW is pretty damn flat.
Wow I just took this photo from Kennedale a suburb of Fort Worth. This is what you classify as flat?
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas vs Houston: Round 255-23cf3edc-f51e-40fd-9f46-7931b836416e.jpeg  

Old 11-08-2019, 04:01 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The size of the Medical center? I mean, I guess, it's cool. But it's like Dallas DART being the longest light rail in the US. Massachusetts and New Jersey are the dominant medical 'silicon valley' type states in the US. Houston isn't even top 10 and neither is Dallas.

The Houston Medical Center's dominance is also held back by stupid policies at the state level (highest number of uninsured, lower number of doctors per 100k compared to the other major metros) , just like the Port of Houston is.
Say what? I'm not trying to get in a pissing match between Houston and DFW(i'm not from either btw) but comparing the DART to the largest medical center in the World is asinine at the highest level.

TMC is much more than just a large medical center it's a world class center that attracts people all over the world. What is DART but only a long light rail that's underused by the citizens of Dallas?

Nothing about DART is World class or attracts people from the world all over. TMC actually does that.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The Med Center is the largest medical complex in the WORLD! How in the heck do you "Over Rank" the largest Medical complex in the entire world?
You are diminishing the value of a massive asset just because its in a rival city? Yes, I know its personal there are plenty of things that I admire about Dallas too. But please don't diminish the Texas Medical Center. It is something for all Texans to be proud of. Remember that Houston is Texas's largest City. So don't be surprised if it may have a few more things than Dallas does. Don't forget that Rice University is right there in the Medical center area too. Are you going to try to diminsih Rice University as well? Yes that's right. Dallas does not have a University on the Level of Rice. Not even close. Yes I know you have SMU which is a great school also but it's a few rungs down from Rice.
One way you could over rank is by confusing largest and best.

The rest of your post sounds something like this.
https://youtu.be/ROxvT8KKdFw

Your SMU/ Rice rant makes no sense, of Course Rice is a better school, its the closest thing Texas has to a IVY or Stanford. No one was even talking about that though.

Look, im not from Dallas, i feel no rivalry with Houston. Its totally possible for the Med Center to be incredible but also be overranked by Houstonians.

It can be a global destination for certain deseases and still be over ranked by you.

Anyway that wasnt my point to begin with. The quality of healthcare in Dallas and Houston is basicly the same so in that regard it is better to treat the med center as a jobs center rather than a higher tier amenity in this contex.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Say what? I'm not trying to get in a pissing match between Houston and DFW(i'm not from either btw) but comparing the DART to the largest medical center in the World is asinine at the highest level.

TMC is much more than just a large medical center it's a world class center that attracts people all over the world. What is DART but only a long light rail that's underused by the citizens of Dallas?

Nothing about DART is World class or attracts people from the world all over. TMC actually does that.
It was more along the lines that Biggest =/= Best. Biggest is Best tends to be a Texas value.

I mean of course the TMC is great and the Dart kinda just sucks so maybe that isnt a fair analogy.

But again, there is no real difference in the quality of Healthcare in the two cities so bragging about the med center really being a big difference between DFW and Houston is like Dallas bragging we have 2 airlines based here. Yeah it matters if you work in Cancer Resurch or for an Airline, but over all it doesnt really matter.

Its possible that people can come from around the world for treatment and the homers are overating the TMC. People come from all over the world to many of the top Hospitals in the US, not just the TMC.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Wow I just took this photo from Kennedale a suburb of Fort Worth. This is what you classify as flat?
That makes my point even more.

That isnt a very large hill at all.

Yes, there are a few small hills in the metroolex and 1 maybe 2 decent sized ones.

That doesnt change that overall the metroplex is very flat.

Go up on a random crossover where two highways meet and you will have an unbroken 360 view with no hills or mountains to break it up. Thats flat.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It depends on the area of DFW. South of 30 is generally more hilly. Also Fort Worth and heading west from there can get hilly too. The north side where most of the growth is happening is the area that's relatively flat and "rolling" at best. The biggest hills in the Houston metro are in Montgomery County or parts of Fort Bend. Those hills would be flat for even some DFW residents, but for Houstonians it's "unique" to the area.
Yeah i know. Near University Hills in Irving which is more hilly than most of the metroplex. I think it barely qualifies as hilly and is more just rolling.

Colorado Ave in NOC is kind of hilly, but again, more rolling.

Windhaven just west of Austin Ranch has a hill of sorts, again, more of a roll but enough that it was a good spot for the RedBull Soap Box Races (which were fun)

The fact is there arnt very many places in DFW where you could race Soap Box Cars because in generall, it is quite flat. I dont know if anywhere in Houston would be suitable for racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas