Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 05:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Not even expanding into that part, tell me:

- Does that get rid of the fact that whites still owned Africans as slaves?
- Does it get rid of the fact that a certain section of an entire country had to be FORCED not to own slaves anymore?
- Does it get rid of the fact that even after the Civil War, the southern United States still had Jim Crow laws made specifically for keeping blacks separate from whites as well as making sure that blacks were given the worst of the worst in comparison to their white counterparts for 100+ years?

If the answer to those three questions is "no", then tell me... what's the point of bringing up Africans selling other Africans off for slavery?
Because it seems to irrittate white liberals who would prefer to believe white Southerners were solely responsible for the existence of slavery in the US.It is an inconvenient fact for them to have to deal with certain historical truths

Old 09-02-2017, 10:01 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
White Southerners didn't have to enslave the children of the slaves who came on slave ships. They had a choice. That was all on them. You can't blame Africans or the Portuguese for that.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
So, put Obama to task on having "Difficulty untangling the motives" of the Dallas shooter. Force Amazon and Ebay to stop selling BLM shirts, flags and memorabilia. Have people on your end of the political spectrum denounce "Dear White People". Remove statues of Malcolm X and King. Denounce the openly anti-white racism coming from elements of the DNC, denounce the cop-killer rhetoric from BLM that also inspired murders in Baton Rouge.

But I heavily doubt the media will ever put any sort of thought or force on that. It doesn't support the Narrative. Stuff the "Enough" talk.
Oh boy. Where do I even begin...?

First, the fact that you're saying "remove statues of (Dr.) King" in response to removing Confederate statues shows exactly where your head is. Not sure if there are any statues of Malcolm, but wanting to get rid of what the general consensus sees as a symbol of peace and togetherness as a response to people wanting to tear down statues that represent war and a time where America was literally divided is not a good response.

What's wrong with "Dear White People"? Kinda random to throw that in there.

As far as Black Lives Matter goes (spell it out), because of the media, the words "Black Lives Matter" is now seen as a negative in the minds of many. Think about that for a second... thanks to a few chops and 10 minute clips on the news that selectively show the worst sides of a MOVEMENT (not a group) that wants the justice system to be equal, people such as yourself will honestly hear the words "black lives matter" and think negatively of it. You know, kinda like how you feel about "the liberal media" and white supremacists with Confederate symbols...

And please, don't act like there's no conservative biased media sources. Why do you feel the way you do now? I posted that photo of the Omni Dallas image with "ENOUGH" because it plays up to your point and you don't seem to realize that. There was plenty of outrage against police shootings. I say that because at the end of the day, police officers are still seen as the heroes and blacks are still the thugs and criminals that they've always been portrayed as in the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Because it seems to irrittate white liberals who would prefer to believe white Southerners were solely responsible for the existence of slavery in the US.It is an inconvenient fact for them to have to deal with certain historical truths
That's what you care about? Irritating liberals? That sounds like something an obnoxious 10 year old would do. You also ignored my response to that. You can say Africans sold other Africans all you want, but the Europeans/Americans didn't have to take them... but they still did. So no matter how much you bring it up, you're still attempting to shift the focus away from that.

You guys are stuck in the mindset of liberals vs. conservatives... THAT'S why we're not getting anywhere.

Seriously, turn off the cable news networks/radio stations, get off City-Data.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:55 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Default There was nothing noble about the Confederacy..

Among white Southerners it was mainly a two-class society. Those who owned land and slaves, those who didn't but aspired to owning land and slaves.

Their one common denominator was the supremacist fervor (aka. God complex) they got from lording over the lowly negro.

The Confederacy's treasonous act of war against the United States was primarily about the will of weathly Southerners to keep the institution of slavery intact while spreading it westward. The Civil War was a rich man's war on both sides. More insidious in the South though. The weathly convinced the poor to fight their battle of greed and got many slaughtered.

There was.. is.. never will be anything noble about the Confederacy. It was a disgusting & disgraceful time period that should be memorialized in musuems but not glorified in public.

Slavery was a 400+ year black holocaust. Just like Germany has outlawed the display of the swastika and Nazi monuments; the U.S. should have followed suit long ago with banning that shameful Confederate riff-raff.

Last edited by First24; 09-03-2017 at 03:05 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 06:13 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Oh boy. Where do I even begin...?

First, the fact that you're saying "remove statues of (Dr.) King" in response to removing Confederate statues shows exactly where your head is. Not sure if there are any statues of Malcolm, but wanting to get rid of what the general consensus sees as a symbol of peace and togetherness as a response to people wanting to tear down statues that represent war and a time where America was literally divided is not a good response.

What's wrong with "Dear White People"? Kinda random to throw that in there.

As far as Black Lives Matter goes (spell it out), because of the media, the words "Black Lives Matter" is now seen as a negative in the minds of many. Think about that for a second... thanks to a few chops and 10 minute clips on the news that selectively show the worst sides of a MOVEMENT (not a group) that wants the justice system to be equal, people such as yourself will honestly hear the words "black lives matter" and think negatively of it. You know, kinda like how you feel about "the liberal media" and white supremacists with Confederate symbols...

And please, don't act like there's no conservative biased media sources. Why do you feel the way you do now? I posted that photo of the Omni Dallas image with "ENOUGH" because it plays up to your point and you don't seem to realize that. There was plenty of outrage against police shootings. I say that because at the end of the day, police officers are still seen as the heroes and blacks are still the thugs and criminals that they've always been portrayed as in the media.

That's what you care about? Irritating liberals? That sounds like something an obnoxious 10 year old would do. You also ignored my response to that. You can say Africans sold other Africans all you want, but the Europeans/Americans didn't have to take them... but they still did. So no matter how much you bring it up, you're still attempting to shift the focus away from that.

You guys are stuck in the mindset of liberals vs. conservatives... THAT'S why we're not getting anywhere.

Seriously, turn off the cable news networks/radio stations, get off City-Data.
Wow.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
wow.
What?

What is it, now...?

Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Among white Southerners it was mainly a two-class society. Those who owned land and slaves, those who didn't but aspired to owning land and slaves.

Their one common denominator was the supremacist fervor (aka. God complex) they got from lording over the lowly negro.

The Confederacy's treasonous act of war against the United States was primarily about the will of weathly Southerners to keep the institution of slavery intact while spreading it westward. The Civil War was a rich man's war on both sides. More insidious in the South though. The weathly convinced the poor to fight their battle of greed and got many slaughtered.

There was.. is.. never will be anything noble about the Confederacy. It was a disgusting & disgraceful time period that should be memorialized in musuems but not glorified in public.

Slavery was a 400+ year black holocaust. Just like Germany has outlawed the display of the swastika and Nazi monuments; the U.S. should have followed suit long ago with banning that shameful Confederate riff-raff.
"Black Holocaust" and and calling for hemming Freedom of Speech.

Typical.

Just so you know, they've already shamed a Confederate, Civil War museum into shuttering in your corner of Georgia. So your rant rings hollow.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
"Black Holocaust" and and calling for hemming Freedom of Speech.

Typical.

Just so you know, they've already shamed a Confederate, Civil War museum into shuttering in your corner of Georgia. So your rant rings hollow.
"Typical" in deed...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
But it was Portugal who began the African slave trade...

You're still ignoring what I pointed out.
You've been steady pointing out a number of things, so I really don't know exactly what it is I am supposedly ignoring. lol I haven't participated enough on this thread to be drawn into countless hours of discussion leading to exactly nowhere. But I did state the fact that Africans sold their own native Africans into slavery. I did not say it as an excuse or as a purpose of blame as you seem to be intent on placing on others who merely state this fact.

As far as Portugal goes, sure, they played a huge leading role in slavery, but I did not want to into hours and hours of discussion on the history of slavery. I just stated one fact and if you feel you need to refute it, be my guest.

So, I guess you might say it is you who is ignoring what I pointed out.

Quote:
What?

What is it, now...?
What do you mean? Do you think my response to your post was inappropriate? Is that it?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You've been steady pointing out a number of things, so I really don't know exactly what it is I am supposedly ignoring. lol I haven't participated enough on this thread to be drawn into countless hours of discussion leading to exactly nowhere. But I did state the fact that Africans sold their own native Africans into slavery. I did not say it as an excuse or as a purpose of blame as you seem to be intent on placing on others who merely state this fact.

As far as Portugal goes, sure, they played a huge leading role in slavery, but I did not want to into hours and hours of discussion on the history of slavery. I just stated one fact and if you feel you need to refute it, be my guest.

So, I guess you might say it is you who is ignoring what I pointed out.
I didn't deny it . . .

And it's not "merely stating it as a fact", there is an underhanded reason why they throw it out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas