U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 AM
 
Location: too horrible to describe but leaving soon
21 posts, read 39,250 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesplace View Post
Since I am looking to relocate to the Midland / Odessa area, I previewed the crime stats comparing both areas. In 2006, Midland had 5 times as many murders and rapes than Odessa. On the other hand, Odessa wins with more robberies, assaults, thefts, auto thefts and arsons.

In looking at the big picture, both areas have a higher crime index than the US average and where I live it's half the US average with roughly the same population.

What is it that contributes to the high crime in these areas, it doesn't seem to be unemployment?
Hatred, greed, envy, ignorance, snobbery, transients, illegal aliens and drugs.

Where do you live? I'll trade you...after the inevitable happens .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 AM
 
Location: too horrible to describe but leaving soon
21 posts, read 39,250 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I've always wanted to come and visit the area for some strange reason. I have driven through the area a few times. The Permian Basin seems so strange to me, with the lack of greenery, hills, water, distant from my home here in Austin. Yet, it must be a place of tranquility.

Do Midland or Odeassa have any breweries with microbrews?

Are there any good places to cycle? Do you ever see cyclists?

Would a very liberal (not a hippie) person have a difficult time living there?
No offense, but that is sort of "strange", especially when someone lives in such a lush area surrounded by water and people who aren't terrified to speak their mind. West Texas is not Santa Fe or Tuscon. It is a place of harshness and hard living, and frankly, it's downright ugly, nothing tranquil about it. A visit wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't pull up roots or do anything more drastic than pack an overnight bag and puchase a two-way ticket that you can easily change the date to leave sooner.

I don't know of any breweries?

Most cyclists ride on the access road from Midland to HO-dessa and back, which is flat and usually very windy. Two weeks ago, while driving a lucky friend to the airport, a group of bicyclists flagged me down to call 911, which I did. I saw two cyclists down and their bikes were a tangled mess. I never could find an access road to crossover. Part of the group were cycling ahead of the victims, which I was able to reach and thankfully one was a doctor who turned to go back and help. 911 and the doctor asked me what had happened and I said I couldn't tell if they'd been hit by a car or what? The news naturally never carried the story. There have been frequent accidents on this road injuring cyclists. Other than that, near the downtown area, I think on Michigan & Louisiana streets, there are about 6 blocks with a spray painted lane for cyclists, which I've never seen one on it ever. It's not a safe place to cycle or walk. Most runners and walkers go out to Midland College. Sorry I can't help any more than this.

Without a doubt, a "very liberal person" is a persona non-grata here in Midland, unless teaching at the college and a member of the local community theatre, but even then one is constantly reminded that Midland was "the boyhood home of George W. Bush". I have a few friends who teach here, as well as friends who are from the Middle East, Asia, India and Europe. I know for a fact that it is difficult for them to live here and most of them try to live close together and don't socialize much. I'm not liberal or what one calls a neo-conservative yet I still got kicked out of my former precinct meeting upon my return to Midland several years ago and was told that "I had lived in the BIG CITY (woo-hoo), tooooooo long". I miss the old days when it was "allowed" to discuss topics, history, current events, world news, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,007 posts, read 11,117,745 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethisplace View Post
West Texas is hell! I was born in Midland and grew up here. I was fortunate enough to live away from this place for almost 20 years. I have traveled and lived all over the world but returned when my parents needed help and looking after....etc.....
Well, what bitter invective. I hope for your sake that you can leave soon, and never look back.

I lived in Midland for 30 years, and my experience was nothing like yours. I won't ever live there again, but I did mostly enjoy what it had to offer when I was there.

Midland is in the middle of another boom, and that is one of the reasons that real estate is higher than it has been in the past. It's just history repeating itself, as it does ever so often. But....compared to other areas, Midland's housing prices are still mostly cheaper than those of New Mexico, where I moved. If you were born and raised there, you are no doubt aware of these cycles.

When I first moved there, the population was around 40K. With more than doubling of the population, you are going to have problems that didn't exist before. Growth brings all of that.

One of Midland's biggest problems is the catering to illegals, and being a "sanctuary city." Don't get me started on what this has done to the school system, because anything I say on that will be construed as racist.

Midland-Odessa has always had these boom-bust cycles (my dad commuted to Midland over a lifetime from the early 1950s as an oil operator, but didn't live there)...and probably always will.

It has its problems. Every city does. But I really think you have painted it as very much worse than it actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
 
Location: East Texas
146 posts, read 309,954 times
Reputation: 76
I think Midland is a very nice place. It has it's little problems like every city but if you look Midland is NOT trashy. It is rich looking all over the place once you get across the railroad tracts. If you think Midland has nothing to do then go to some small town like Fort Stockton, Alpine,Hamilton or Haskel were the closest Bowling alley, Movie theatre & fun are like 40 to 70 miles away. Midland takes care of its city more then a lot of Texas cities. Midland is not trashy Odessa is. In that area you have 2 Malls to go to & the Music City Mall in Odessa has a Ice skating ring which most cities it's size does not have. As was mentioned you have lots of Museums. a Planetarium. You got the Globe of the Southwest & the Playhouse & the Symphony Orcastra. You have bowling alleys & 2 nice movie theatres with like 16 screens. You got 2 colleges, 1 University. Nice Parks, Nice Golf Courses & Mini golf. Go-karts your a few hours away from Big Ben National Park, Guadalupe mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, Monahans Sandhills & so much more. You also have good Hospitals. But the bad things you have is the Schools, the Police force in Midland is bad (I know my aunt works their) The water is nasty & the crime.But Midland/Odessa has a lot to offer it is not that bad. Count the blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
1,901 posts, read 1,802,889 times
Reputation: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethisplace View Post
No offense, but that is sort of "strange", especially when someone lives in such a lush area surrounded by water and people who aren't terrified to speak their mind. West Texas is not Santa Fe or Tuscon. It is a place of harshness and hard living, and frankly, it's downright ugly, nothing tranquil about it. A visit wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't pull up roots or do anything more drastic than pack an overnight bag and puchase a two-way ticket that you can easily change the date to leave sooner.

I don't know of any breweries?

Most cyclists ride on the access road from Midland to HO-dessa and back, which is flat and usually very windy. Two weeks ago, while driving a lucky friend to the airport, a group of bicyclists flagged me down to call 911, which I did. I saw two cyclists down and their bikes were a tangled mess. I never could find an access road to crossover. Part of the group were cycling ahead of the victims, which I was able to reach and thankfully one was a doctor who turned to go back and help. 911 and the doctor asked me what had happened and I said I couldn't tell if they'd been hit by a car or what? The news naturally never carried the story. There have been frequent accidents on this road injuring cyclists. Other than that, near the downtown area, I think on Michigan & Louisiana streets, there are about 6 blocks with a spray painted lane for cyclists, which I've never seen one on it ever. It's not a safe place to cycle or walk. Most runners and walkers go out to Midland College. Sorry I can't help any more than this.

Without a doubt, a "very liberal person" is a persona non-grata here in Midland, unless teaching at the college and a member of the local community theatre, but even then one is constantly reminded that Midland was "the boyhood home of George W. Bush". I have a few friends who teach here, as well as friends who are from the Middle East, Asia, India and Europe. I know for a fact that it is difficult for them to live here and most of them try to live close together and don't socialize much. I'm not liberal or what one calls a neo-conservative yet I still got kicked out of my former precinct meeting upon my return to Midland several years ago and was told that "I had lived in the BIG CITY (woo-hoo), tooooooo long". I miss the old days when it was "allowed" to discuss topics, history, current events, world news, etc.
Oh, I have no plans to uproot and move there. I was just curious. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 08:30 AM
 
Location: too horrible to describe but leaving soon
21 posts, read 39,250 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Oh, I have no plans to uproot and move there. I was just curious. Thanks for your input.
Dear Acuda,
You are very welcome. Just trying to put the TRUTH out there. Enjoy Austin & take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 2,677,874 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, what bitter invective. I hope for your sake that you can leave soon, and never look back.

I lived in Midland for 30 years, and my experience was nothing like yours. I won't ever live there again, but I did mostly enjoy what it had to offer when I was there.

Midland is in the middle of another boom, and that is one of the reasons that real estate is higher than it has been in the past. It's just history repeating itself, as it does ever so often. But....compared to other areas, Midland's housing prices are still mostly cheaper than those of New Mexico, where I moved. If you were born and raised there, you are no doubt aware of these cycles.

When I first moved there, the population was around 40K. With more than doubling of the population, you are going to have problems that didn't exist before. Growth brings all of that.

One of Midland's biggest problems is the catering to illegals, and being a "sanctuary city." Don't get me started on what this has done to the school system, because anything I say on that will be construed as racist.

Midland-Odessa has always had these boom-bust cycles (my dad commuted to Midland over a lifetime from the early 1950s as an oil operator, but didn't live there)...and probably always will.

It has its problems. Every city does. But I really think you have painted it as very much worse than it actually is.
LOL, you get on me for saying what you just did.. there is a word for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,507 posts, read 2,606,350 times
Reputation: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethisplace View Post
Dear Acuda,
You are very welcome. Just trying to put the TRUTH out there. Enjoy Austin & take care.
I disagree. Some of what you have said is not TRUTH. Your post exhibits an unusual level of hyperbole. It sounds like you may have some deeply rooted anger and resentment issues. I hope for your sake that things will soon improve in your life and you can let go of those highly negative emotions. Until then, feel free to use Midland-Odessa as a punching bag to make yourself feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,007 posts, read 11,117,745 times
Reputation: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
LOL, you get on me for saying what you just did.. there is a word for that.
Errrr...huh?

Where, when?!?

I do remember you calling Midland a crap city, though.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
 
12 posts, read 25,047 times
Reputation: 24
Default houston to midland to yuma az

I grew up in houston, spent almost all my life there with the exception of military service in the army. I went to college at utmb galveston and graduated with a nursing degree, my first job was in midland at midland memorial hospital, the first 6 months I lived in midland it was absolute hell because i did not know anyone and they had none of the urban lifestyle i was use to. however after about 6 months i began to appreciate what the city did have, i made friends and generally grew to love being there, the only reason i left was the oil boom made living there very expensive. i was recruited by a hospital in yuma az in august of this year and moved there. yuma is the second hottest city in the country, high temps routinely top 115 in the summer with nighttime temps in the mid 90's despite all that i enjoyed the city of yuma because of it's proximity to san diego, vegas, and mexico, however i hated the hospital, it is a very dangerous place to be a patient. i compare that to the hospital in midland where i worked in the operating room. in midland if you came in a trauma patient, you stood a good chance of survival, in yuma they would put you on a helo for a 45 minute flight to phoenix as a matter of policy, that decreases your odds of survival, but that would be a good thing because the docs and other medical workers at the hospital were usually temporary agency employees, so that produces a fragmented work staff. as to some poster opinion of life in midland beign the absolute pits of hell or whatever, life is what you make it, if you are a negative person, you will bring that negativity wherever you live, myself, i left yuma after 2 months because i could not work at that hospital with a good conscience. i took a job in lake charles lousiana, i like the city i like the hospital, however if i get the chance, i will probably move back to midland because that is the place i now call home even in lake charles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top