U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,140 times
I moved here from Houston and it is a big adjustment. I miss Houston, it is a fun and happening place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 06:05 AM

17 posts, read 31,669 times
After thinking that we are going to move to Lubbock and getting all prepared for that, we found out that my husband is going to get a job first of all in Midland and we'll end up most likley staying for a while in Midland, TX (my husbands hometown where he has lived until the year 2000 before moving to Germany).

So far so good. I have been already in Midland and I know some things about this town and we have the advantage that there is some family still living there but things have definately changed in the last nine years.

I wouldn't care that much about the whole situation if we wouldn't have the kids. Moving from Germany to Texas is already a big thing for them and now we have to deal with Midland's stupid apartment and rental house situation first of all.

Can anybody recommend an elementary school that it would be good to send our oldest son to? Right now I am considering Scharbauer, Fannin and Emerson....but what about Rusk and Greathouse?

My husband is already in Midland staying with a cousin for a few weeks and starts looking for a two (better three) bedroom apartment...which appears to be complicated. Renting a house would be best (at least from June on) but that's also a little hard as it seems....there are hardly any available.

My hopes are that my husband would get a final job offer from his company somewhere else but those hopes are not big so that we'll probably have to deal with Midland for a few years.

So my biggest question is....where to live best with kids concerning school and neighbourhood.....(they should be still able to play safely outside with other kids)?

And second...maybe somebody can help there....are there any soccer teams for 8 year-olds in Midland? Our son loves to play and is being told that he has got some talent (which he definately doesn't have from me LOL) and it would be great if he could continue to play in a team.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 AM

103 posts, read 163,823 times
Soccer seems to be a big deal here, particularly at the elementary school level, so probably someone can help you out there.
The schools are probably as good as public schools anywhere else. Better than in Beaumont, where we relocated from. We live in the country, South of town, and the elementary my boys went to has gone steadily downhill over the last few years. It was rated academically unacceptable last year.
It's true that there is not much available for teenagers or young folks, besides the bowling alley, putt-putt, and the movies. There is a well run roller skate rink called Casey's Nutty Roller - it mostly attracts the elementary/early middle school crowd. The owner runs a tight ship, and is serious about his rules, but the boys spent many enjoyable afternoons and evenings there with their friends. Now they are at the movie/mall age; that is a big part of the reason we are relocating to Alaska next week - I'm hoping to show them a better quality of life. There just isn't much family-type activity here locally. Sure, Monahans Sandhills is good for a Sunday drive and there a pretty state park in Abilene, but really nothing here in Midland. The shooting range South of town is nice, and well run, if you're into target shooting. The YMCA was recently remodeled. It has a pool, gym, and nice exercise facility. The Airsho is fun, but that's once a year. The Sandhills rodeo is fun, once a year.
I've generally always felt safe in Midland, I'll give it that.
I'm looking forward to moving to an area where we can drink water straight from the tap. West Texas has by far the worst drinking water in the world.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM

330 posts, read 1,068,596 times
Try Legacy Real Estate--there's a house for lease in our neighborhood from them. We live in the Greathouse district and the parents I know love it and are very involved with all the activities--I know at least one boy does soccer and he's 8 yrs old. Send me an email if you want me to find out where he signed up for soccer! Boy Scouts and Indian Guides are also popular here.
I have young children too so please feel free to ask me anyting! We moved here about 18 months ago from out of State.

Pam
PS The drinking water is far worse in Lemmon, South Dakota just an FYI!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM

38 posts, read 125,349 times
Greathouse district or Greenwood District. We are in Greenwood.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM

21 posts, read 41,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
Greathouse district or Greenwood District. We are in Greenwood.
Greenwood is supposed to be excellent but it's not really in Midland. I know that on 'greatschools.net', and then living here, having a child in school, Washington, Fannin and Scharborough [sp?] are the three top rated public schools. As for private, we've been to Trinity (where I went) and Hillander which didn't suit our child. She is now at Midland Christian School. She loves it and we have our happy child back! Good luck!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 PM

80 posts, read 22,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethisplace View Post
Greenwood is supposed to be excellent but it's not really in Midland. I know that on 'greatschools.net', and then living here, having a child in school, Washington, Fannin and Scharborough [sp?] are the three top rated public schools. As for private, we've been to Trinity (where I went) and Hillander which didn't suit our child. She is now at Midland Christian School. She loves it and we have our happy child back! Good luck!
Well this news is certainly encouraging and good to hear because the Midland Independent School District, the whole district not just one school, was ranked as Unacceptable by the Texas Education Agency on July 31, 2009. See the link below from the Midland Reporter News for that article.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/08/01/news/top_stories/doc4a7381b2906d9855940719.txt

Old 09-14-2009, 07:44 PM

19 posts, read 42,408 times
Well, James, I take it you had a very bad experience in that nice west Texas town. So sorry......We have friends who have lived there for decades, visited them on numerous occasions and never heard/saw of any of this. My Goodness......I always thought it was a clean city......saw that it was a white-collar city, lovely homes, nice parks, shopping and some very good food....we always got what we ordered with a smile. It does get pretty hot there and can be cold too....but all in all, it could be alot worse.

Where did you say you came from? Maybe you should go back there. We here in Texas are not real fond of foreigners coming in and bad mouthing fine cities in our fine state. Yep, I would suggest that you go back from whence you came.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:58 PM

3,805 posts, read 1,908,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatwilbotd View Post
Coming from the DFW area about a year ago this is what I've noticed. The traffic here is a joke. Its not bad but I really think there should be some kind of test before the state gives just anyone a liscens. Never had so many near misses in my life. The weather is fantastic I'll give you that.
um ... it's not just Midland ... Houston and Beaumont are the same way.
Better drivers in Tyler and DFW I've noticed tho' ..

Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It could be the lack on ANYTHING to do. It is certainly the most boring place to live in Texas.
I would agree with tgannaway89 about boring. If your'e married, great! If not, this is a dreadfully boring place. Try to get out and go down to Big Bend National Park, Marfa, Austin, etc on the weekends but don't stay here on the weekends. Shack in the Back on Wednesdays is a pretty sweet bar though.

As far as crime, Odessa and Midland are safer than the US average city. But, I wouldn't walk any more than a block from your house at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas