Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:44 AM

493 posts, read 636,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Absolutely right, Poltracker. The "adventure/suspence" movie "Southern Comfort" (Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe) about a bunch of Louisiana National Guardsmen who get lost in the bayous and swamps of Louisiana and run afoul of some native Cajuns, was ACTUALLY filmed on the TEXAS side of Caddo Lake!
I didn't know that...I love that movie!!!! seen it on the movie channels...I need to get it on dvd or maybe bluray...I love that movie...filmed in Texas...man...ain't we pimpin' hollywood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 07:03 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
yep it is filmed in Austin, Taylor and Huntsville (Huntsville State Prison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
I didn't know that...I love that movie!!!! seen it on the movie channels...I need to get it on dvd or maybe bluray...I love that movie...filmed in Texas...man...ain't we pimpin' hollywood

Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
LOL Yep, in fact, we have visited where the old movie set of the "Cajun village" was. By way of explanation, the couple whose cabin we often rent out when we stay on Caddo Lake during vacations, own a lot of property on and near the lake. He is a contractor by trade, and built some of the set when they were filming. Over the years of staying with them, we have become personal friends, and a few years ago when we were down the conversation turned the the making of the movie and he directed us to the end of Pine Island Road to see it.

There really isn't much left of it -- as it was made almost 20 years ago -- but it was kind of interesting to look around at it all.

I agree with you that it was a heck of a good movie!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:47 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
I didn't know some of these movies were filmed in Texas.

There is one that I am sorta embarrassed to mention (luckily I forgot the name of it!) because it's a Pauly Shore movie but it was filmed in and around Forney where my husband is from. The little shack that was used in the movie was where his ex-inlaws lived at the time on the outskirts of town. It's been since torn down, though.

I heard you can tour the Las Colinas movie studios. Texas is referred to in the movie industry as the Third Coast because of the growing number of films originating here.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:47 PM

493 posts, read 636,830 times
I don't know if you have ever seen a movie called The Chase...with Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson...it is a ridiculous car chase movie...I fell in love with it because Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band) fame played the crazed police car driver...and thought he was awesome in that movie...He was a Newport Beach police officer in the movie...and that is how I fell in love with Orange County, California...long before the O.C., Laguna Beach, or any of that other crap...I was really young and naive then, but I thought maybe the cops in that area are all crazed punk rockers! To my surprise a few years ago, when I really got into the IMDB...I found out that the movie was filmed on the Texas Gulf Coast around Houston! Maybe Houston isn't as bad as they say...you about it not being very pretty...they don't have that many Palm Trees (even though the climate could support it) but if it could be a fake Orange County...along the I-5 which is where the movie took place...maybe I need to go back down and check it out...it has been a while since I vacationed in Galveston or Corpus Christi.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,490 times
Rustwater Kansas was really Plainview Texas in the movie Leap of Faith .

Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Maybe Houston isn't as bad as they say...you about it not being very pretty...they don't have that many Palm Trees (even though the climate could support it) but if it could be a fake Orange County...along the I-5 which is where the movie took place...maybe I need to go back down and check it out...it has been a while since I vacationed in Galveston or Corpus Christi.
I can tell you as a long-time Texan, Houston is way better than most people make it out to be. It's always had a horrible rap for such a great city. It's not the West Coast, by any means... but it's better than it's reputation. There are more palms there every year, and Galveston is on it's way to becoming a really nice coastal destination. It's not there yet.

Also, if you've ever seen the earlier-mentioned Rushmore, the huge oak trees and old architecture in some of the inner neighborhoods are beautiful. Then you have the pine forest look in the Woodlands... and the coast. Pretty diverse scenery, only thing missing is mountains/hills.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
Here's one for you. Do you remember "Necessary Roughness", with Scott Bakula? It was a comedy about college football life and a program that had to start over again with new coaches and players. I enjoyed that movie during its theater run back in '89. It was filmed in four different Metroplex locations.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
I remember that one, case, but I hadn't seen it. I didn't know it was filmed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas