Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

another thing i want to add to the list is cowboy church. i thought to myself today, as i sat in the pole barn where services are held, how lucky i am to live in Texas where we have cowboy churches.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Have often wondered about Cowboy Churches. What are they like? How are they different??

Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Lets see: Some of this comes from when I moved away for a time.

1)Bluebonnets
2)"toe chucker" rain and thunderstorms
3)crispy chile rellenos, not the kind with egg batter
4)Lakes that you can swim in and not get hypothermia just by dipping your toe in
5)The men
6)Southern hospitality and friendliness
7)bbq, southern comfort food, and tex-mex
8)moss draped oaks
9)That you can drive an hour from one place and feel like you're in a whole different place (falls into the "whole other country" and topography)
10)believe it or not, the beaches...because when there are none anywhere around you close enough to drive to you WILL miss them and you won't care if the first one you get to see is in California, Florida, Texas or New York. I especially missed the sounds and smells of the ocean. Rushing rivers were a nice second, but still not the real thing.
Interesting number 8, and a very good number 9. Yeah, driving through Texas is just like this state's weather. In this case, drive a few more miles and the scenery will change.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
just good country folk who live the cowboy way...very very casual. at my cowboy church, we sit in the pole barn, drinking coffee or hot cocoa in our seats, lots of great christian country music-full band, we come wearing our ranchwear, cowboy hats and roughstock boots....it's GREAT! the cowboy church i go to, is building an arena for roping practice on bible study nites and organizing a youth rodeo team. these type of churches dont pressure you into tithing, accept everyone as they are-dont care if you dip, smoke, drink in your personal life........which is great, cuz i like to have my personal services with Reverend Jim Beam on Fri and Sat nites lol

here's a link to find a Texas cowboy church near you!

Texas Fellowship of Cowboy Churches | Find a Cowboy Church Near You!

here's a link to MY cowboy church!

Boots -N- Saddle Cowboy Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Have often wondered about Cowboy Churches. What are they like? How are they different??

Last edited by NOTAM; 03-16-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: add

Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
In no particular order:

1. Texas spirit
2. Texas BBQ
3. The fact that we were once the Republic of Texas for approx. 9-10 years
4. The Alamo
5. Shiner Bock
6. Texas/Southern food
7. Bluebonnets/oak trees/magnolias/crape myrtles/balled cypress/fruitless pear trees/yep,even the lowly mesquite tree
8. Sounds of the locusts in the trees in summer
9. The critters (going back to another thread), armadillos, road runners, horny toads, geckos, even the big cats occasionally seen.
10. The wildly diverse landscape which includes Big Bend, Palo Dura Canyon, the Hill Country, East Texas, the Gulf Coast, etc.

Great response, blueskies! If we had a top twenty, the Alamo has to be on that list. And we must never forget the great critters of Texas (don't forget the longhorn).

Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM

238 posts, read 767,055 times
Default We Have Lakes Here

1. Country music
2. Terrain which varies
3. Barbecue
4. Great Fishing
5. Great Women
6. Hiking
7. Great cities (like Dallas, baby!)
8. Beaches
9. Golf courses
10. LAKES -- lots of lakes, where I can take my boat, and speed through all the other boats, and tear up those waters with great passion, baby!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM

690 posts, read 2,630,092 times
Off the top of my head....

1) The weather - love early spring and mild winters and the fact that the slightest bit of ice can shut us down in my part of the state!
2) The people - like none other anywhere
3) The fact that anytime I'm in another state, and I answer a question with "Yes, ma'am" or "Yes, sir" the first thing that's said to me after that is, "You're from Texas, aren't you?"
4) The food - Tex-Mex, BBQ, you name it, we've got it, and it's GOOD
5) The Hill Country - The Frio River, Bandera, Leakey....
6) San Antonio and The Alamo
7) Pick up trucks
8) Easy weekend trips to the country, the beach, the desert...
9) All the water - lakes, rivers, oceans
10) "The stars at night....are big and bright....*clap clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas!"

Extras:

11) Armadillos that mosey across the road at a snail's pace while we wait for them to pass
12) The Piney Woods
13) The state pride that all natives are raised to have
14) My best friend came to visit from Arizona a few years ago. We were driving through a neighborhood and everyone we passed waved. I waved back. She said, "Do you know all these people?!?" I said, "Nope."
15) Friday night football games
16) Our rich history and the fact that Texas History is a required middle school course

I could go on, and on, and on, and on......

Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
Off the top of my head....

1) The weather - love early spring and mild winters and the fact that the slightest bit of ice can shut us down in my part of the state!
2) The people - like none other anywhere
3) The fact that anytime I'm in another state, and I answer a question with "Yes, ma'am" or "Yes, sir" the first thing that's said to me after that is, "You're from Texas, aren't you?"
4) The food - Tex-Mex, BBQ, you name it, we've got it, and it's GOOD
5) The Hill Country - The Frio River, Bandera, Leakey....
6) San Antonio and The Alamo
7) Pick up trucks
8) Easy weekend trips to the country, the beach, the desert...
9) All the water - lakes, rivers, oceans
10) "The stars at night....are big and bright....*clap clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas!"

Extras:

11) Armadillos that mosey across the road at a snail's pace while we wait for them to pass
12) The Piney Woods
13) The state pride that all natives are raised to have
14) My best friend came to visit from Arizona a few years ago. We were driving through a neighborhood and everyone we passed waved. I waved back. She said, "Do you know all these people?!?" I said, "Nope."
15) Friday night football games
16) Our rich history and the fact that Texas History is a required middle school course

I could go on, and on, and on, and on......

Okay, I'll let the cheating slip this time.

Hey, sixteen out of ten ain't bad.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
1. Country music
2. Terrain which varies
3. Barbecue
4. Great Fishing
5. Great Women
6. Hiking
7. Great cities (like Dallas, baby!)
8. Beaches
9. Golf courses
10. LAKES -- lots of lakes, where I can take my boat, and speed through all the other boats, and tear up those waters with great passion, baby!!!!!!
I think I knew where this one was going......

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM

32 posts, read 46,631 times
Wink Why Love Texas,

a) Central to the United States for air travel approx. 3 hours from anywhere to fly
b) Dallas is a GREAT area to make money especially off of Dallas real estate, Dallas home foreclosures,
c) Texas is still considered to as a relatively inexpensive state of live in ...therefore with high incomes, less money to live, more money we have to invest, have fun, travel enjoy live.
d) Texas is if you lost a million one day HECK you can make it up the next day we have GREAT attitudes here
e) WE have major league sports, basketball, football, hockey, baseball !
f) Texas is the #1 inbound state for moves... so everyone wants too live here !... in the real estate markets we make the money!
g) Weather is great majority of the year approx. 65 - 70 degrees not bad therefore we can play golf majority of the year!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas