Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ LOL Funny stuff there. If anything, it was both the attitude of native Coloradans and all the points I discussed in the blog that were reasons for leaving. Move there and see for yourself. If you think you're such an expert, then do it, and come back here when you have some tangible personal experience to share. Until then, your armchair stone throws at me are meaningless.
Lol dude, I was born in Colorado and spent most of my life in the mountain west. Ive also lived in Texas almost a decade. I think the issue is you. Honest.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Property taxes in Texas will end you. Especially during retirement. CO property taxes are some of the lowest I have seen anywhere.
ya your right.....property taxes are extremely high in Texas.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Having lived in both TX and CO (currently + previous...)

Can't say either WINS!

But... both Texans and Coloradoans are a defensive bunch!

BTW: there ARE better States (for some ... thank goodness) !

Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 AM

68 posts, read 51,733 times
Seeking a drier / cooler climate and cheaper property taxes. They certainly aren't going for the food !!!

Last edited by Paradise 11; 05-20-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Colorado's median property tax is $1575 a year.

Texas' median property tax is $2775. So that's a $1200 difference.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Meanwhile, Colorado has a flat income tax rate of 4.63 percent regardless of income level.

The overall difference on median income and median home prices and all state and local taxes is around $500 a year - but of course this will vary greatly depending on income and property values, where one lives, etc. But my point is that $500 is not even $50 a month, so I doubt many people are making their minds up between the states based on $500. If so, I pity them.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

Live where you're happy - and if you're a happy person overall, where you live won't make or break that happiness.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Colorado's median property tax is $1575 a year.

Texas' median property tax is $2775. So that's a $1200 difference.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Meanwhile, Colorado has a flat income tax rate of 4.63 percent regardless of income level.

The overall difference on median income and median home prices and all state and local taxes is around $500 a year - but of course this will vary greatly depending on income and property values, where one lives, etc. But my point is that $500 is not even $50 a month, so I doubt many people are making their minds up between the states based on $500. If so, I pity them.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

Live where you're happy - and if you're a happy person overall, where you live won't make or break that happiness.
Yeah, but considering that you can get better scenery and weather for basically the same overall COL, it's easy to see why people would make that choice, even if it's only $500.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, but considering that you can get better scenery and weather for basically the same overall COL, it's easy to see why people would make that choice, even if it's only $500.
But you also need to find a job (unless you are retired). There is no way my wife and I find equivalent jobs that pay as well in CO. And they would basically need to be several percent more to make up for the taxes. Not that there aren't jobs in CO, it just is very situational and not quite as flexible as Texas on a lot of parameters.

But many people will go to CO and take an effective pay-cut to live somewhere that beautiful. You can't argue with it and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but the people doing it.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-20-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But you also need to find a job (unless you are retired). There is no way my wife and I find equivalent jobs that pay as well in CO. And they would basically need to be several percent more to make up for the taxes. Not that there aren't jobs in CO, it just is very situational and not quite as flexible as Texas on a lot of parameters.

But many people will go to CO and take an effective pay-cut to live somewhere that beautiful. You can't argue with it and it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but the people doing it.
Yeah of course. DFW is more than twice the size of Metro Denver, there are quite a few more job opportunities here because of that.

If the numbers lined up and there was a job that was comparable to mine, I wouldn't really hesitate to make the move, I know a few people who have done just that.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
That's a matter of personal opinion. Some people prefer Colorado, some people prefer Texas, for a wide variety of reasons that $500 a year doesn't impact at all.

Personally, I don't prefer the weather of Colorado. Some people do and that's great - but some people don't and that's great too. It's a wide country out there with plenty of room in both states.

Both states are growing at very healthy rates so yay!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's a matter of personal opinion. Some people prefer Colorado, some people prefer Texas, for a wide variety of reasons that $500 a year doesn't impact at all.

Personally, I don't prefer the weather of Colorado. Some people do and that's great - but some people don't and that's great too. It's a wide country out there with plenty of room in both states.

Both states are growing at very healthy rates so yay!
My co-worker, who is from Texas and grew up here, left for Colorado about 10 years ago for a good job offer. He really liked it up there, but he also really likes it down here . He just came back in his final approach to retirement and bought 10 acres of land somewhere north of Canyon Lake. He did, however, keep his efficiency condo up in Summit County and will likely end up spending most of his summers up there once he retires (he has one child living in Austin and one in Denver now). He rents out the condo through the rest of the year and it more than pays for itself (I think, anyway).

To be honest, that sounds like a wonderful solution if you can do it. I am a Texan through-and-through and I do the summers just fine here, but CO summer is unbeatable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas