Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My guess would be energy jobs. Denver has been an energy town since we used fossil fuels.
That's funny, because being amongst Coloradans, most absolutely loath the oil & gas companies. There's an almost universal hatred towards them, especially in the realm of fracking. I routinely hear of companies considering starting up offices in CO, but then get discouraged due to this, plus the high cost of living and operating a business in the Centennial State. Plus, the state income tax steals money from people each year, with no noticeable benefit. Compared to TX, CO seems anti-business. Only the people used to the state's tactics - thinking it normal - have no problem with it. There's also the hype factor that keeps the ball rolling, for awhile at least.

Denver is nowhere near being an "energy town" compared to Houston. Denver's more software, accounting, and stuff like that.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Well, it has a lot of energy business, although it has shrunk a bit over the years:

Quote:
Energy - The region is an energy powerhouse with fossil fuels and cleantech together employing 52,850 people at 3,230 companies. Further, the region ranks fourth for cleantech and sixth in fossil fuels employment concentration among the 50 largest metropolitan areas. (fossil fuels, -3.7%/20.7%; cleantech, 6%/20.4%)
Not that Tech/software isn't a bit part of the area and is the fastest growing:
Quote:
Information Technology-Software - The region is a top location for young entrepreneurs and tech professionals, and ranks among the top regions that foster entrepreneurial growth. The region employs 54,580 workers in 5,180 companies and had the eighth-highest employment concentration out of the 50 largest metropolitan areas. (9.4%/27.5%)
http://www.metrodenver.org/research-...cluster-study/

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain...ary_denver.pdf

Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's funny, because being amongst Coloradans, most absolutely loath the oil & gas companies. There's an almost universal hatred towards them, especially in the realm of fracking. I routinely hear of companies considering starting up offices in CO, but then get discouraged due to this, plus the high cost of living and operating a business in the Centennial State. Plus, the state income tax steals money from people each year, with no noticeable benefit. Compared to TX, CO seems anti-business. Only the people used to the state's tactics - thinking it normal - have no problem with it. There's also the hype factor that keeps the ball rolling, for awhile at least.

Denver is nowhere near being an "energy town" compared to Houston. Denver's more software, accounting, and stuff like that.

I agree that Houston is more of an Energy town than Denver, but that doesn't mean Energy is not a HUGE factor in Denver, and Colorado's economy.

Quote:
The nine-county Metro Denver and Northern Colorado region ranked fifth for fossil fuels energy employment and fourth among the nation's 50 largest metros for cleantech employment concentration in 2016. Overall, the energy industry cluster employs 52,850 people in the area.

Metro Denver Energy Industry | Metro Denver

So while the Progressives in Colorado may be vocal, and against fossil fuels, the bottom line is that Energy is a significant economic multiplier in the state.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Metro Denver Energy Industry | Metro Denver

So while the Progressives in Colorado may be vocal, and against fossil fuels, the bottom line is that Energy is a significant economic multiplier in the state.
Denver media is ALWAYS tooting it's horn, and celebrating the city, even when the information is highly inaccurate. It all just goes back to the hype factor that is so Colorado these days. Lots of talk, lots of praise, lots of high-fiveing, without substance and delivering the goods. I've seen it all up close and person. It's a farce. People also are always conning each other into believing the hype, to justify the high costs, the low attention to fixing infrastructure, etc. No one's supposed to think about what is actually going on, or peer behind the curtain. Traffic builds and builds and no changes are ever made. People are just to be lemmings and be submissive, since they're living in the ultimate gloryland.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Umm, yeah, good info there? I happen to know several people personally in O&G, and they work for big companies. I guess they are all acting, as well, and it is part of the local chamber of commerce conspiracy?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
The thread is very hysterical.

Colorado is growing slower than two Texas metros on their own. Texans might be moving to CO but it is not in droves.

Last year population growth

CO +91,726

Houston +125,005

Dallas +143,345

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
No im not being rude or fussy about everyone moving here. I am just legit-ly curious what is bringing everyone to colorado? I thought Texas was the place to be at! I actually wanted to retire and/or move to texas one day, but seeing everyone from Texas is moving to Colorado, i am thinking maybe there is something I am missing?

No I am not one that is mad that people keep moving here, in the contrary, it is good for the economy! I am just genuinely curious what is bringing them here? Is it the mountains or low cost of living? maybe a perk I dont know of? Sorry if I came off the wrong way on asking "why a lot of texans moving here" no no no. I am really curious! not fussy about it ha ha.
Your post reminded me that even way back in 1977 when I moved from Denver, Co to Austin, TX, people in Colorado were complaining about the number of Texan's that were moving to CO.

It made me wonder if this was actually true, most transplants coming from TX, as I'd never seen any statistics to substantiate that. So I did a web search and found this article from 2016 which listed the top 29 places that most transplants to Denver came from. Where Are Transplants Moving to Denver From? Here Are the Top 29 Places | Westword

I realize that this article is not totally conclusive for 'Colorado', but it yielded some interesting results for Denver. In looking over the numbers and doing some math they indicated that the highest number of transplants were actually coming from California (8,282), with the second highest number coming from Texas (6,351).

It occurred to me that both of those states have the highest populations of people compared to all of the other 50 states. So if all other things were equal, we would expect these states to also be contributing the highest number of transplants to Denver.

This lead me to question what those percentages were when compared to the population of each state. Interestingly enough I found that neither Texas or California were contributing the highest percentage of their states populations in moves to Denver. When looking at some those percentages this is what I found:

Total California: 8,282 = 0.0211006278035 %
Total Texas: 6,351 = 0.0227939995254 %
Total Wisconsin: 1,457 = 0.0252132483593 %
Total Minnesota: 1,476 = 0.0265728957903 %
Total Arizona: 2,834 = 0.0408883417873 %

Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 PM

73 posts, read 93,353 times
Depends though.
Southern Texas gets too hot and lots of hurricane
Northern Texas gets tornado and even hurricane. Climate tends to be more extreme in the north

Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008user View Post
Depends though.
Southern Texas gets too hot and lots of hurricane
Northern Texas gets tornado and even hurricane. Climate tends to be more extreme in the north
Eastern Colorado gets hit with tornadoes, being an extension of the plains (and tornado alley to the east). It would get more news if the land wasn't so thinly populated.

Some say that Colorado as a whole gets "too cold". Depends on what matters to you...

Old 11-15-2017, 11:02 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,074 times
My take on the comment by 2008user is: Southern Texas gets too hot and ... Northern Texas gets too hot also and colder in the winter. Lots of brown, dead grass, in contrast the the green grass of south Texas :-)

On the Colorado angle, I remember visiting Colorado many times in the 70s, when Texans were the most hated outsiders. (I rode a ski lift with a young woman who asked me where I was from. She then advised me not to tell anyone I was from Texas. Turned out, she had moved there from Texas.) I suspect that many of the Texas-haters there moved there from Texas, sadly.

Fortunately for us Texans, Coloradans turned their contempt toward Californians as they started moving there en masse "bringing their gang-member kids with them", as some Coloradans said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas