Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:59 AM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Based on those numbers, I might actually argue that Dallas county is the 2nd most diverse county in Texas.
The problem here is that these numbers oshow racial diversity. Harris and Fort Bend County are seen as ethnically diverse not only because of their racial diversity, but also because of the extensive group of nationalities that exist in a large portion. And then Dallas becomes the easy third with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
All of Houston metro area is pretty diverse besides Montgomery, at least out of the major five.

Fort Bend County

Harris County

Galveston County
Brazoria County

Montgomery County

Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The problem here is that these numbers oshow racial diversity. Harris and Fort Bend County are seen as ethnically diverse not only because of their racial diversity, but also because of the extensive group of nationalities that exist in a large portion. And then Dallas becomes the easy third with this.
I agree Harris does edge out Dallas county in ethnic diversity but the difference is not as great is what is perceived. The biggest difference (on a statistically level) is that Harris County is home to a wider range of Latinos. Dallas County has a very large Mexican and Salvadoran population as well as a healthy Honduran population, but they lack the Venezuelan, Colombian, and large numbers of Hondurans Harris County has.

However, Dallas County also does have more of some nationalities: Koreans (this is a big one vs. Harris), Nepalese, Ethiopians, and Burmese.

So yes I agree Harris does edge out Dallas in terms of ethnic diversity, but no its not as if they are worlds apart.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
I agree Harris does edge out Dallas county in ethnic diversity but the difference is not as great is what is perceived. The biggest difference (on a statistically level) is that Harris County is home to a wider range of Latinos. Dallas County has a very large Mexican and Salvadoran population as well as a healthy Honduran population, but they lack the Venezuelan, Colombian, and large numbers of Hondurans Harris County has.

However, Dallas County also does have more of some nationalities: Koreans (this is a big one vs. Harris), Nepalese, Ethiopians, and Burmese.

So yes I agree Harris does edge out Dallas in terms of ethnic diversity, but no its not as if they are worlds apart.
Harris County has over twenty percent more Koreans than Dallas County. DFW's Korean population is double the size of Houston's but less than a third of the population lives in Dallas County, compared to over three quarters of Houston's community which lives in Harris County.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Harris County has over twenty percent more Koreans than Dallas County. DFW's Korean population is double the size of Houston's but less than a third of the population lives in Dallas County, compared to over three quarters of Houston's community which lives in Harris County.
You answered what I was getting at. Harris County is double the size of Dallas County yet doesnt have double the population of Koreans.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:

Agree except that the Latino population isn't the only category. Also Filipino, Vietnamese, Nigerian, Pakistani, Saudi, and some others.

But they aren't worlds apart as the media portrays it to be because Dallas is fairly diversity, just not as diverse.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Agree except that the Latino population isn't the only category. Also Filipino, Vietnamese, Nigerian, Pakistani, Saudi, and some others.

But they aren't worlds apart as the media portrays it to be because Dallas is fairly diversity, just not as diverse.
I agree with that. On a scale of ethnic diversity, Houston is around the 5-6th most diverse in the US. DFW would be around the 7-9th marker.

I think (based on statistics) that NYC, LA, the Bay Area, and the DC area are the top 4 most diverse. After that you have Houston and Chicago. I put Chicago with Houston because they have such a massive European community that cant be ignored. Then, I place Boston, DFW, Atlanta, and Miami in the next grouping. Cases can also be made for San Diego, Sacramento, and Vegas on a per capita basis, but I wouldnt put them ahead of the top 10.

I place Miami lower just because they lack Asian and African diversity. They have lots of black residents, but mainly from the Islands and the South, not from Africa itself.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
In reality, it seems that Harris County is more diverse than Dallas County because Harris is more integrated than Dallas.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Montgomery County's diversity is sad! It's getting a LITTLE better. The black and Asian percentages are pitiful for Houston standards. I think, if the county was as diverse as Fort Bend or Harris due to its size, then Greater Houston's overall diversity would be tied with DC's. It's definitely bringing the metro down since it's such a large county.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
I agree with that. On a scale of ethnic diversity, Houston is around the 5-6th most diverse in the US. DFW would be around the 7-9th marker.

I think (based on statistics) that NYC, LA, the Bay Area, and the DC area are the top 4 most diverse. After that you have Houston and Chicago. I put Chicago with Houston because they have such a massive European community that cant be ignored. Then, I place Boston, DFW, Atlanta, and Miami in the next grouping. Cases can also be made for San Diego, Sacramento, and Vegas on a per capita basis, but I wouldnt put them ahead of the top 10.

I place Miami lower just because they lack Asian and African diversity. They have lots of black residents, but mainly from the Islands and the South, not from Africa itself.
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...pa-metro-area/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ca-metro-area/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ca-metro-area/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...wv-metro-area/

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...tx-metro-area/

For me while NYC white population is more diverse than Houston's White population it sorta loses out a bit with Houston on racial diversity. The metro area also loses as a ton of the diversity as outside of NYC and Northern Jersey most of the suburban areas aren't that high. LA is also dominated by hispanic population, which is so large it makes it less diverse TBH.

Nassau County
Suffolk County
Westchester County
Rockland County

all lose out compared to
Fort Bend County
Montgomery County
Brazoria County
Galveston County

The main problem is NYC's white population is tons of more diverse than Houston as well as Hispanic population making it hard to truly compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas