Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM

76 posts, read 101,824 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Looking to move to TX within the next year or so. I was wondering how long it takes to establish state residency if I am moving to Texas from another state. On the DPS website, it looks like you must get your vehicles registered in TX within 90 days, and you must have your license done within 30. I know to receive instate tuition you must have lived in Texas for a full year. However, I just want to know when you are considered a "resident of Texas". Are you a resident after you purchase property/rent, register your motor vehicle, and get a TX ID/license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:25 PM

113 posts, read 113,666 times
I just moved to Dallas about a month ago. I had to register my vehicle first before going for a license. You will want to get a state inspection done at a mechanic shop first before registering your vehicle first though. Also it depends where you live because you can only go to the tax office in your county. As for the license you can go to and DPS office that I'm aware of. End of week seems to be the best time to go to either office.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:17 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
You will be a transplant "resident", not a naturally born Texan.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
You will be a transplant "resident", not a naturally born Texan.
Well yeah, that's pretty obvious. Does this bother you that I want to move to Texas?

Old 11-26-2017, 08:41 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murk mags View Post
Well yeah, that's pretty obvious. Does this bother you that I want to move to Texas?
Not to this Texan.

As for the residency. It’s all over the map, depending on what you need:

College Tuition: one year
Divorce: 60 days

Truthfully, it’s basically once you establish a domicile and change over your license and plates.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
Not to this Texan.

As for the residency. It’s all over the map, depending on what you need:

College Tuition: one year
Divorce: 60 days

Truthfully, it’s basically once you establish a domicile and change over your license and plates.
Thank you! Yes, my main thing I want to know about residency time is whether or not it will affect my career, taxes, owning and buying firearms, voting, and a couple other things. I'm not married so not too worried about the divorce thing lol, and I'm doing online courses to further my degree.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, my main thing I want to know about residency time is whether or not it will affect my career, taxes, owning and buying firearms, voting, and a couple other things. I'm not married so not too worried about the divorce thing lol, and I'm doing online courses to further my degree.
The tax thing can get a little murky, depending on what state you’re earning your money from (ie remote work, etc) I know the Peoples Republic of California decided at one point to try and tax out of state residents for work performed for CA companies - not the case in Texas.

I can’t recall if you needed a TX ID to register to vote - it’s been too long.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
The tax thing can get a little murky, depending on what state you’re earning your money from (ie remote work, etc) I know the Peoples Republic of California decided at one point to try and tax out of state residents for work performed for CA companies - not the case in Texas.

I can’t recall if you needed a TX ID to register to vote - it’s been too long.
My plan is to find an RN job in my particular area that I'm moving to, so it wouldn't be working out of state. And yes, Kalifornia always finds new ways to up the ante with their BS. I'm coming from Konnecticut, a similar state. I'm moving to TX to escape the draconian laws here, the high taxes (10.5k per year property taxes, car taxes, sale taxes, taxes, taxes TAXES), unconstitutional firearm laws, and so forth.
Hmm, I'd imagine you would need a TX ID to vote, especially in local elections. Oh well, plan on taking care of all that stuff right in the beginning.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
My plan is to find an RN job in my particular area that I'm moving to, so it wouldn't be working out of state. And yes, Kalifornia always finds new ways to up the ante with their BS. I'm coming from Konnecticut, a similar state. I'm moving to TX to escape the draconian laws here, the high taxes (10.5k per year property taxes, car taxes, sale taxes, taxes, taxes TAXES), unconstitutional firearm laws, and so forth.
Hmm, I'd imagine you would need a TX ID to vote, especially in local elections. Oh well, plan on taking care of all that stuff right in the beginning.
You definitely need photo ID to vote, I just can’t reme if they ask for it on your voter registration.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Thank you for your info! Going to be taking a trip down in a few months to start the process of relocation. I'm excited to leave the northeast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas