Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,531,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
For obvious reasons, it's luckily not "H.E. Butt", especially in that red capsule logo.
Growing up, we used to refer to it like this for fun.... we would say, "mom's going shopping at H.E. Butt today, do you need anything?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Growing up, we used to refer to it like this for fun.... we would say, "mom's going shopping at H.E. Butt today, do you need anything?"
The red capsule and the wording in the bubble looks like buttocks. I wouldn't want to eat anything from that store in case the stuff touched his unwashed butt! haha

Native and long-time Houstonians do love Kroger! It's mostly out-of-state transplants that shop at H-E-B because of the commercials and the undeserved buzz that the hype generates.

Nothing special from the shopping experience! The building interior looks like Walmart, but the layout is like Ikea with an actual lines following 'The Way' from the produce at the entrance, through the store, and ending at the registers near the exit.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:07 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
Butt! Sounds just like it's spelled. My grandmother grew up with the original family outside of Kerrville. She said Mrs. Butt always gave her animal cookies when she would go there as a young child. It's Butt, like the body part.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Native and long-time Houstonians do love Kroger! It's mostly out-of-state transplants that shop at H-E-B because of the commercials and the undeserved buzz that the hype generates.
Wow, I did not know this.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
The red capsule and the wording in the bubble looks like buttocks. I wouldn't want to eat anything from that store in case the stuff touched his unwashed butt! haha

Nothing special from the shopping experience! The building interior looks like Walmart, but the layout is like Ikea with an actual lines following 'The Way' from the produce at the entrance, through the store, and ending at the registers near the exit.
Excuse me? 7th generation Texan here (we were here pre-Republic and were instrumental in the founding of the state) and I shop at many HEB's and have for a long time.

And Houstonians should show a bit more respect, given that HEB was one of the first on the scene helping after Harvey.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And Houstonians should show a bit more respect, given that HEB was one of the first on the scene helping after Harvey.
I suspect Houstonians will be just as surprised by these remarks as we are.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
As a Houstonian, I have long given HEB a lot of respect, long before Harvey.

Aside from their help after Harvey, I really appreciate them for reinvigorating the quality grocery-store business in Houston after the Onstead family sold Randall's and it deteriorated.

When I lived in Austin in the early 70's, HEB stores were not particularly special, but neither were any of the other choices. Aside from Jamail's, the earliest nice grocery store in Houston was Handy Andy, out of San Antonio (like HEB is now).

Anyway, even though Houston only merits a single Central Market (fancy HEB), I do appreciate that they have opened a lot of very nice HEB stores here. In particular, I appreciate that our CM store has a way-better deli department than any of the Whole Foods stores I've seen, including their flagship store in Austin.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
When I lived in Austin, we had pet names for various HEBs we shopped at- Gucci Butt, Barefoot Butt, Mueller Butt. I really miss HEB but have been placing web/mail orders until I get over it.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:

You have HEB confused with Whole Paycheck.

There's zero chance I'd trade my HEB for a Kroger.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
HEB is preferred by most shoppers, at least if you measure that by the amount of people shopping in it. Kroger's produce and (especially) meat departments do not compare. Their "Kroger Card" means you'll spend about the same money, but then you have to tailor your shopping to what's on sale. HEB is nicer, cleaner, they have better bathrooms. I don't know why you'd shop anywhere else unless you're rich enough to shop at Whole Foods or Central Market, in which case I totally understand but don't think I'll be joining you any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas