Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D0hJCWsAYc

If you count non-traditional religions like veganism and leftism..who knows.

If we're just talking about traditional religion then it might be Austin or Marfa..

When people drop traditional religions they usually turn to something else. Just because a city is less religious doesn't mean its population carries more intelligence and less dogma.
Absolutely true. And they will deny it to their dying breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:30 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Absolutely true. And they will deny it to their dying breath.
I'm not a Christian but it's pretty annoying how much Christianity gets bashed in this country.

If you wanted to get really philosophical you could probably argue that cities like SF, Portland and Seattle are some of the most religious cities in the country. Stuff like Feminism, Veganism, Paleo, Alt-Right(ism?) and Leftism can all get pretty dogmatic and religious-like.

"You're a bigoted sexist, racist, homophobe" is the new "You're going to burn in hell"..Sorry folks, we're not progressing. People are just as hateful as they were back in the day..maybe even more so in some aspects.

Not saying this thread was created with bad intentions. Sometimes I just like to rant haha

Last edited by Jame22; 12-02-2017 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 01:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:

If we're just talking about traditional religion then it might be Austin or Marfa..

When people drop traditional religions they usually turn to something else. Just because a city is less religious doesn't mean its population carries more intelligence and less dogma.
I think you're confusing religion with ideology and lifestyle. Religion involves a set of beliefs regarding the supernatural. You can't just label every ideology you don't like as religion. Religious beliefs and political ideologies coexist. Believe or not, I know a conservative Christian who is on the Paleo diet. I also work with a vegan who is a Christian. Diets weren't made to replace religion. That's kind of a weird conclusion to come to, especially considering that vegetarianism has been a requirement of certain religions for thousands of years.

And, it's already been proven that most Austinites follow a "traditional" religion. Some people really don't care about facts.

Last edited by L210; 12-03-2017 at 02:14 AM..

Old 12-03-2017, 05:35 AM

20 posts, read 29,277 times
Quote:

Based on what? I know atheist who all over the political spectrum they don't just turn to "something else" unless you mean they turn to actual facts and science instead of trying to come up with every answer through religion and fairytales.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I'm seeing an insinuation that liberal = not religious. That is such a huge misconception. Many liberals are people of faith, they just have a different perspective about their faith than religious conservatives.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:24 PM

85 posts, read 92,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'm seeing an insinuation that liberal = not religious. That is such a huge misconception. Many liberals are people of faith, they just have a different perspective about their faith than religious conservatives.
preciously. I have one friend in particular who is super liberal...goes to womens marches, LOVED obama and hillary, etc....but also is actively involved her in church here in Austin..

Old 12-03-2017, 03:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Black people are one of the most religious ethnic groups in the U.S., and they're overwhelmingly Democrats. Many may have some socially conservative views, but they tend to be fiscally liberal. On the other hand, I've come across atheists who are very fiscally conservative.

In a Colleges and Universities thread, I linked to articles on political affiliation by college major. While education majors tend to be liberal, they also tend to be more religious than scientists and social scientists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez91 View Post
Based on what? I know atheist who all over the political spectrum they don't just turn to "something else" unless you mean they turn to actual facts and science instead of trying to come up with every answer through religion and fairytales.
Scientists are significantly more likely than the general population to be non-religious. In another thread, I posted a link to a study that found that people who choose science majors tend to not change their religious views while in college. That pretty much means that a lot of science majors are already atheists, agnostics, or possibly spiritual without a religious affiliation when they start college. They aren't looking for a replacement for religion; they're just the type of people who question everything and want evidence.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:19 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Wow, everyone knows this topic.thread could go a very long time, lol I won't even respond, but I do, as everyone have a belief or opinion, but who really cares, I only care about anyone who would "KILL ME" for my belief, either way, or many who/would deny me access/jobs, fire me FOR my belief or not "joining" in with THEIRS, then I would have an ISSUE, maybe not with employment, because who really WOULD like to work with someone like that?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Austin

Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 900,737 times
There's a huge difference between 'liberals' and 'leftists.' Those people yelling at the sky in my previous video post are most likely leftists and not liberals.

The belief that Trump is Hitler is just a fairytale put in place by people with a lot of money and power.

Last edited by Jame22; 12-04-2017 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas