U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-04-2017, 07:13 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,848,448 times
Reputation: 1585

Advertisements

Apologies if this is about the 50th thread on this subject, but a quick look didn't show one on the first couple of pages.


I'm looking for a small town to build a retirement home in. Small is relative, and for us ranges from 500 to 20,000. Looking east of 45 and north of a Huntsville to Jasper line. Both of us are (currently) healthy, so immediately close medical care isn't a necessity. Looking for recommendations on nice, friendly towns , and looking for advice on avoiding ones full of meth heads or KKK types, or high drug and property crime. Other types of crime as well, but in my experience not many smaller towns have issues with murder and rape. Mostly thefts and drugs, if any significant crime.




Thanks in advance. Links to older discussions would be helpful also.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 PM
 
2,927 posts, read 4,043,844 times
Reputation: 1762
Jasper is about as far East as you can go. Is Jasper as far North in East Texas do you want to "go" as well? I can see a "line" from I-45 "from Huntsville" but how far North of Huntsville do you start. All the way to Marshall, Waskum, or on to Texarkana, how far West into Texas? Past Tyler to Athens, or not that far North of West from Jasper and Huntsville. So we have a little more defined area to comment. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 AM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,848,448 times
Reputation: 1585
Huntsville to Jasper would be the far southern line, so looking from there north to the OK border, and from I45 to the LA border. Really focused more on the area from Athens to Texarkana,but don't want to rule out towns a little south of that if they come with great recommendations. We live in Dallas now, so the place needs to be a decent Friday evening drive to do weekend stuff until retirement frees us from that , but even then family will be in Dallas, so east and southeast of Dallas is the primary focus. But as I said, not ruling out something as far as Madisonville or such if a good recommendation comes and good land is available.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,263 posts, read 4,555,646 times
Reputation: 2761
KKK types . . . really ???? What about Black Panther types ... you OK with that?

Meth is everywhere and the closer to Ok. the more!

Do you want a small town pop. 2500 or less? Do you want to be in a town at all?

Athens, Palestine, Crockett, Nac, Lufkin all OK. I know nuthin about north of I-20.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 PM
 
577 posts, read 479,870 times
Reputation: 780
We were just in Lukin, Nacogdoches, and around Sam Rayburn Lake and Toledo Bend Reservoir over the Thanksgiving Holiday, and really enjoyed the rolling hills thick forests, and large lakes in the area.

Great fishing, hiking, lower land prices, Steven F Austin College......I think its a nice balance

While there, I started thinking that it would be a nice area to retire to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,848,448 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
KKK types . . . really ???? What about Black Panther types ... you OK with that?

Meth is everywhere and the closer to Ok. the more!

Do you want a small town pop. 2500 or less? Do you want to be in a town at all?

Athens, Palestine, Crockett, Nac, Lufkin all OK. I know nuthin about north of I-20.





You thinking that the BP are a big problem in Gun Barrel City , Grand Saline, or Daingerfield ? I have been warned by 2 different people from 2 different areas, who don't know each other and who lived in some east Texas towns to be giving first hand experience on them, about certain small towns in east Texas, which is why the question is asked. In the words of one, some of them don't know the Civil War is over and they lost.


My original intent was country property outside a small town, but now Im thinking if my wife is the one who survives me her being out like that by herself at 80 or so may not be ideal, so now I am looking for in town in a small town to build the house, and probably also some acreage outside the town for piddling purposes. Probably 2500 or less pop.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
 
Location: East Texas, with the Clan of the Cave Bear
2,263 posts, read 4,555,646 times
Reputation: 2761
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You thinking that the BP are a big problem in Gun Barrel City , Grand Saline, or Daingerfield ? I have been warned by 2 different people from 2 different areas, who don't know each other and who lived in some east Texas towns to be giving first hand experience on them, about certain small towns in east Texas, which is why the question is asked. In the words of one, some of them don't know the Civil War is over and they lost.


My original intent was country property outside a small town, but now Im thinking if my wife is the one who survives me her being out like that by herself at 80 or so may not be ideal, so now I am looking for in town in a small town to build the house, and probably also some acreage outside the town for piddling purposes. Probably 2500 or less pop.

I don't know anything about the KKK or BP being a problem. I just find it odd that you bring up the KKK as being an issue ANYWHERE. I have NEVER heard of any violence by this near phantom group (there are 3 chapters registered federally in Texas). I have never met anyone claiming to be a member of the KKK, as for that I've never met a sympathizer of them. Of course I've only lived in East Texas about 30 years. My wife from a totally different culture and country would echo the same.

I think anecdotal incidents you mentioned could be more about drama than truth. I may worry about violent encounters occasionally but it's not involving KKK'ers, Nazis, Skinheads, or white supremacists.

I think one of the nicest areas of East Texas is south of Lufkin around Colmesneil. Specifically along RR 255. This would put you 4 hours from the MetroMess though.

Having been through the remote rural acreage with a loved one in failing health I understand the apprehension. In fact at age 63 that could be me soon. I live on 50 acres and quite rural but a piece of property with improvements like mine will always bring buyers so if my health fails this goes on the market and my sweet wife and I can downsize easy enough. If I should succumb before her (likely as I'm quite a bit older) she has a plan. It is much easier to piddle where you live ... you just gotta have a plan for other scenarios. Plenty of older widows have maintained out in the country in the past, in fact I see little difference between the problems in town and out in the country but close in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,848,448 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I don't know anything about the KKK or BP being a problem. I just find it odd that you bring up the KKK as being an issue ANYWHERE. I have NEVER heard of any violence by this near phantom group (there are 3 chapters registered federally in Texas). I have never met anyone claiming to be a member of the KKK, as for that I've never met a sympathizer of them. Of course I've only lived in East Texas about 30 years. My wife from a totally different culture and country would echo the same.

I think anecdotal incidents you mentioned could be more about drama than truth. I may worry about violent encounters occasionally but it's not involving KKK'ers, Nazis, Skinheads, or white supremacists.

I think one of the nicest areas of East Texas is south of Lufkin around Colmesneil. Specifically along RR 255. This would put you 4 hours from the MetroMess though.

Having been through the remote rural acreage with a loved one in failing health I understand the apprehension. In fact at age 63 that could be me soon. I live on 50 acres and quite rural but a piece of property with improvements like mine will always bring buyers so if my health fails this goes on the market and my sweet wife and I can downsize easy enough. If I should succumb before her (likely as I'm quite a bit older) she has a plan. It is much easier to piddle where you live ... you just gotta have a plan for other scenarios. Plenty of older widows have maintained out in the country in the past, in fact I see little difference between the problems in town and out in the country but close in.



What I said regarding the KKK thing was KKK types, not necessarily actual KKK members. While I have not been in east Texas enough past some camping trips to know much about the area and people ( hence this thread) , this subject has been mentioned to me by others from the area. One was a S Baptist pastor in some towns around the deep east Texas area , and he was the one who made the Civil War remark. Another friend is at the opposite end of the spectrum and is a near atheist with a weird redneck/old hippy combo attitude that has echoed the sentiment. He lived around the Sam Rayburn area. This one also mentioned that friends had warned him about some towns around there before he moved, and that they were proven right. He ended up moving back up around Cedar Creek Lake. A relative by marriage grew up around the Lake of the Pines area and has said similar things.


Maybe their take on things is overblown. I have no personal knowledge or I wouldn't be asking. But I have little trouble believing that there could be a few small towns where this might be an issue.




In town vs rural for an elderly widow would be more a comfort thing knowing you had close neighbors to rely on in need, rather than being 10-20 miles out by yourself. Im fine with that, but since Im planning a house for my wife to live her life out in, with or on past me, it's something to consider.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,446 posts, read 42,615,574 times
Reputation: 75840
Though you and your wife thankfully are "currently" healthy, since you're discussing a retirement home, I'm assuming you're past oh, age 55.

I would like to caution you about moving too far from quality medical facilities. My parents made this mistake and so did my inlaws. One set (my parents) ended up moving - well, having ME move them since they were too elderly to be much help - closer to medical facilities, which meant leaving an area they had grown to love but which had become too problematic solely because of their health issues. The other set (inlaws) ended up with VERY substandard care which led, in my opinion, to a sad last couple of years for them.

I'd like to recommend the Tyler area - towns close to Tyler but smaller than Tyler. Edom, Chandler, Lindale, Mineola, Gladewater, Bullard, even Athens or Troup.

We live in Chandler and LOVE it. 10 minutes from Tyler but outside the bustle. Very, very low crime rates. Property values have increased massively in the past four years because of development in Tyler's west side.

Hardly anyone I know in Chandler was actually born or raised here - it's a small bedroom community of folks who work or used to work in the Tyler area.

I love love love me some northeast Texas!

By the way, I've lived in the Tyler/Longview area for over 25 years. My family is multiracial and my biracial kids were raised here. Not only did we never have a problem, I've never met or even HEARD of anyone actually knowing any KKK members. Race relations seem healthy in this area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,591,356 times
Reputation: 4389
Race relations aren't "healthy" anywhere in America, Kathryn, but if what you mean to say is that Texas is a bit better off than some other states then I think I might agree with that; especially if we're talking about Houston.

BobTex: Fear of "KKK types" is legitimate, seeing as how there have been several acts of terrorism committed on their behalf within the past few years alone in addition to the countless number committed over the past century.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top