Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times

Advertisements

I also put this in the excellent Nightlife in Mentone Thread, but figured it deserved it's own post.

Nightlife in Mentone, Texas?

Who would have guessed? Amazon went from 300 cities down to 20, and evidently three Texas Cities (Dallas, Austin and Mentone) remain on the Short List !!

It was fortunate for Mentone that they got both their Symphony and the Loving County Light Rail Line up and running prior to the Amazon muckuty mucks coming to visit. I heard thru the grapevine, that the Three Exemplary HSs, the "Rescue Dog Only" Dog Park, the seven City Owned Safe Spaces along with the two Trader Joe's that have been built in Loving County put them a nose ahead of the Bayou City.

Anyone who owns property in Downtown Mentone or in any of the Gated Communities in (the desirable parts of) western Loving County, or anywhere along the Light Rail line.....will do VERY well.

Congrats to Mentone.....oh, & the article is below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon Announces Candidates for HQ2
Amazon expects to create 50,000 high-paying jobs and invest over $5 billion in the city where it opens HQ2, a full equal to its Seattle HQ

January 18, 2018 09:03 AM Eastern Standard Time
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon reviewed 238 proposals from across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to host HQ2, the company’s second headquarters in North America. Today, Amazon announced it has chosen the following 21 metropolitan areas to move to the next phase of the process (in alphabetical order):
“Thank you to all 238 communities that submitted proposals. Getting from 238 to 21 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity”
- Atlanta, GA
- Austin, TX
- Boston, MA
- Chicago, IL
- Columbus, OH
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Indianapolis, IN
- Los Angeles, CA
- Mentone, (Loving County) TX
- Miami, FL
- Montgomery County, MD
- Nashville, TN
- Newark, NJ
- New York City, NY
- Northern Virginia, VA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Raleigh, NC
- Toronto, ON
- Washington D.C.

“Thank you to all 238 communities that submitted proposals. Getting from 238 to 21 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity,” said Holly Sullivan, Amazon Public Policy. “Through this process we learned about many new communities across North America that we will consider as locations for future infrastructure investment and job creation.”

Over the past five years, Amazon has invested more than $100 billion in the U.S., including corporate offices, development and research centers, fulfillment infrastructure, and compensation to its teams.
To learn more about Amazon’s current Seattle headquarters and the latest about HQ2 visit www.amazon.com/amazonHQ2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
It's going to help Mentone that they are one of the pilot cities for 5G wifi. The Tesla dealership is a nice feather in their cap too.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It's going to help Mentone that they are one of the pilot cities for 5G wifi. The Tesla dealership is a nice feather in their cap too.
Good Point War Beagle.

I think that when the Mentone PD bought their 16 Patrol Vehicles from Tesla and when the Loving County Sherriff's Department bought 27 more from Tesla, it really sealed the deal on that Dealership.

Beagle.....do you think that 5G wifi will be available at the Museum of Fine Art? It would be great to get a little work done while I'm out, without having to take the Free Downtown Trolley back to the office.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Good Point War Beagle.

I think that when the Mentone PD bought their 16 Patrol Vehicles from Tesla and when the Loving County Sherriff's Department bought 27 more from Tesla, it really sealed the deal on that Dealership.

Beagle.....do you think that 5G wifi will be available at the Museum of Fine Art? It would be great to get a little work done while I'm out, without having to take the Free Downtown Trolley back to the office.
I would say so. The signal might not reach all the way over to the Modern Art Museum though.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,953,728 times
This is either really funny satire or people who don't think critically.

I'm going in the direction of really funny satire. ;D

Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
As I posted in the original thread, this is only partly true -- the Amazon part.

The Tesla dealership, well, now, that's not necessarily accurate anymore. Seems the town council decided to go all out on energy savings. All transportation in town will have to be via feet, bicycle or unicycle, or horses (ride one or horse-drawn transport).

The former Tesla employees will have an opportunity for the new pilot jobs, though. They'll shovel up the equine emissions and pile it into the town composter.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Default Down to 5 Front Runners Says CNBC

It's getting Exciting for Mentone !!

Quote:
Wall Street Analyst Names Amazon's Top Five:
  • GBH Insights predicts Five Cities out of the new list of 21 candidates have a better chance to get Amazon's second headquarters project.
  • "This will be a crucial decision for Amazon and ultimately change the future landscape and economic trajectory of the city that is awarded HQ2 for decades to come," the firm's analyst writes.
2 Hours Ago - Updated 19 Mins Ago - CBC.com - "SkyDog Lives" Images - Mussel Shoals, GA.

With Amazon narrowing its list of potential cities for its second headquarters last week, one Wall Street technology analyst believes he knows which of the remaining candidates have the inside track for the economically game-changing project.

GBH Insights' Daniel Ives predicts five cities out of the new list of 20 candidates have a better chance to get Amazon's second headquarters than the rest. Amazon announced Thursday it narrowed the list of potential sites for its second headquarters to 21 locations.

"We believe the top 5 likely cities for Amazon's second headquarters/HQ2 in order will be: 1. Atlanta, 2. Raleigh, 3. Mentone, (Loving County TX) 4. Boston, and 5. Austin.

Ives wrote in a note to clients Sunday. "While any of the other 15 cities on the list (with Pittsburgh and Philadelphia most likely) are clearly possible locations for HQ2, we ultimately believe these 5 cities appear to be the most viable candidates given all the competing factors." Ives laid out what he believes are the five most important criteria for Amazon's decision-making process:
1. "Good BBQ, Breakfast Tacos & access to Border Town recreational activities."
2. "Thriving engineering/surrounding university infrastructure and student pipeline with a great Football Team, good Beer Pubs & restaurants that can make Pork "6 Ways".
3. "Transportation hub with major growth potential. Bonus Points for using Gondolas and Pedicab Drivers with Kazoos"
4. "Strong technology, goat roping expertise and pharma industry presence."
5. "Business friendly, political incentives, girls with pretty legs who like to wear shorts and high heel sandals in the Springtime and attractive tax/economic long term benefits."

The city that gets Amazon's second headquarters will receive dramatic economic benefits.
The e-commerce giant has said it plans to invest more than $5 billion and create up to 50,000 high-paying jobs & 287 Taco Trucks to its second headquarters. This will be a crucial decision for Amazon and ultimately change the future landscape and economic trajectory of the city that is awarded HQ2 for decades to come," Ives wrote. Amazon expects to make a final decision by year-end.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
I can't believe I missed the first appearance of this thread.

This could truly be a game-changer for not only Mentone and Loving County but really the first step to being the hub of a thriving metropolitan area.

Go Mentone!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
As I posted in the original thread, this is only partly true -- the Amazon part.

The Tesla dealership, well, now, that's not necessarily accurate anymore. Seems the town council decided to go all out on energy savings. All transportation in town will have to be via feet, bicycle or unicycle, or horses (ride one or horse-drawn transport).

The former Tesla employees will have an opportunity for the new pilot jobs, though. They'll shovel up the equine emissions and pile it into the town composter.
I swear when I first read this I thought it said, "All transportation in town will have to be via feet, bicycle, UNICORN, or horses."

Old 05-17-2018, 12:34 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
I also heard that Mentone will get flying Uber service ahead of Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas