U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
 
Location: League City
3,830 posts, read 7,824,485 times
Reputation: 5328

Advertisements

My hometown Orange, Tx is the Floyd Mayweather of this category. After 3 hurricanes made landfall in a little over a decade, a lot of the town has turned into a pit. A lot of people that fled the hurricanes said screw it and never came back. So now there are once-desirable neighborhoods filled with neglected rental homes and itinerant renters. There are still nice areas in the area, but most people that had the means to move have shifted to neighborhoods far outside city limits. If you want country living, the areas outside the city are superb. But if you want shootouts and narcotics arrests, then inside the city limits is competitive with Houston, Dallas, and SA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2019, 03:53 PM
 
Location: 78745
4,251 posts, read 3,893,399 times
Reputation: 7535
I always heard Port Arthur and Beaumont are the 2 roughest cities in Texas. They are both mid-sized blue collar cities that can be just as rough or rougher than some of the rough mid-sized blue collar cities in the Rust Belt, such as notoriously rough, Flint, Michigan, Youngstown, Ohio, and East Chicago, Indiana.

I would imagine Odessa is a pretty rough town, too. A general rule of thumb, just about any city with a high percentage of blue collar workers, the rougher that town is going to be.

In a small blue collar town it's nearly impossible for the white collar workers to avoid the blue collar riff raff on a daily basis. Whereas in the larger metro areas, it's pretty easy for a white collar type to have a minimal amount of interaction with blue-collar riff raff on a daily basis, if he or she so chooses. A person could live and work in Plano and never have to deal with very many deplorables, riff-raff, if you will, on a daily basis.

I have also heard Cut and Shoot, Texas is a rough place. I heard they sell brass knucks in the cigarette machines and they close the bar on Sunday in order to pump the blood out of the basement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM
 
3,502 posts, read 2,206,596 times
Reputation: 3354
Can you link me to the FBI site? I want to look up some towns
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 06:11 PM
 
23,692 posts, read 8,174,309 times
Reputation: 8638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I always heard Port Arthur and Beaumont are the 2 roughest cities in Texas. They are both mid-sized blue collar cities that can be just as rough or rougher than some of the rough mid-sized blue collar cities in the Rust Belt, such as notoriously rough, Flint, Michigan, Youngstown, Ohio, and East Chicago, Indiana.

I would imagine Odessa is a pretty rough town, too. A general rule of thumb, just about any city with a high percentage of blue collar workers, the rougher that town is going to be.

In a small blue collar town it's nearly impossible for the white collar workers to avoid the blue collar riff raff on a daily basis. Whereas in the larger metro areas, it's pretty easy for a white collar type to have a minimal amount of interaction with blue-collar riff raff on a daily basis, if he or she so chooses. A person could live and work in Plano and never have to deal with very many deplorables, riff-raff, if you will, on a daily basis.

I have also heard Cut and Shoot, Texas is a rough place. I heard they sell brass knucks in the cigarette machines and they close the bar on Sunday in order to pump the blood out of the basement.
yes Odessa is very rough,Ivory Lee Spurlock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 9,479,275 times
Reputation: 15008
This link is full of surprises:

https://texaspolicenews.com/default....menugroup=Home

20 most dangerous: 1. Weslaco 2. Texarkana 3. Lufkin 4. Edinburg 5. San Antonio 6. Lubbock 7. Houston 8. Beaumont 9. Paris 10. Corsicana 11. Galveston 12. Austin 13. Longview 14. San Benito 15. Hurst 16. Harlingen 17. Lancaster 18. Laredo 19. Waco 20. Tyler. They added Dallas was 21.

Last edited by elan; 06-14-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 PM
 
59 posts, read 71,038 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This link is full of surprises:

https://texaspolicenews.com/default....menugroup=Home

20 most dangerous: 1. Weslaco 2. Texarkana 3. Lufkin 4. Edinburg 5. San Antonio 6. Lubbock 7. Houston 8. Beaumont 9. Paris 10. Corsicana 11. Galveston 12. Austin 13. Longview 14. San Benito 15. Hurst 16. Harlingen 17. Lancaster 18. Laredo 19. Waco 20. Tyler. They added Dallas was 21.
Tyler does not belong on this list. Replace Tyler with Abilene and it’ll be perfect. Also, this information is over 5 years old!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
4,111 posts, read 3,987,595 times
Reputation: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
Tyler does not belong on this list. Replace Tyler with Abilene and it’ll be perfect. Also, this information is over 5 years old!
I know a lot safer places than Tyler in Texas! With that said I question any list that has those cities but not Killeen or Port Arthur on that list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 PM
 
23,692 posts, read 8,174,309 times
Reputation: 8638
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This link is full of surprises:

https://texaspolicenews.com/default....menugroup=Home

20 most dangerous: 1. Weslaco 2. Texarkana 3. Lufkin 4. Edinburg 5. San Antonio 6. Lubbock 7. Houston 8. Beaumont 9. Paris 10. Corsicana 11. Galveston 12. Austin 13. Longview 14. San Benito 15. Hurst 16. Harlingen 17. Lancaster 18. Laredo 19. Waco 20. Tyler. They added Dallas was 21.
I dont get why Odessa is not on that list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 01:04 AM
 
Location: League City
3,830 posts, read 7,824,485 times
Reputation: 5328
Port Arthur has been bad for a long time. The downtown area looks like a bomb went off. However, Motiva recently announced they are buying up 3 or so vacant buildings in downtown and renovating them as office spaces for their personnel. And city officials are hoping this will bring some goods and services back to downtown. Motiva also announced plans for over 6 billion in expansions at their current PA plant. So there is a possibility that Port Arthur may transform in a positive way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top