Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatthiggins View Post
I will be leaving Louisiana and moving to Texas in September. The things I will miss the most about LA is the good cajun food and my friends and family. Oh and LSU sports I am very excited to be moving to TX. I know that it is a great state full of great people.

Becca
Don't know what part of Texas you are moving to, but there are lots of cajun restaurants and cajun people who have relocated to Texas in the eastern half of the state. I lived in Louisiana awhile and have been able to find good cajun food even in Abilene. Good luck in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

45 posts, read 154,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Don't know what part of Texas you are moving to, but there are lots of cajun restaurants and cajun people who have relocated to Texas in the eastern half of the state. I lived in Louisiana awhile and have been able to find good cajun food even in Abilene. Good luck in your move.
That is very comforting to know Thank you!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,892 times
I moved to DFW from Columbia, MO a year back. I still miss that house in North Texas doesn't have basement. Basement are great for cooling off in summer, would do wanders in the Texas heat. Since I moved to DFW from small 100k pop town, I do miss not living in smaller city (lower COL, farmland, open areas, etc).

Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,823 times
Default Miss in Texas

I miss real pizza. What happened down here, no crust?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,169 times
I haven't made the move yet (but have spent almost as much time in Texas as Alabama this year), but if I do move to Texas, three things I know I'll miss are most people that I know, beaches with white sand, and the proximity to different states (I realize Texas has a great variety to offer, but I'll still miss being able to get up on Saturday morning in Alabama to drive to lunch in my choice of six states).

That said, I have nothing bad to say about Texas. My brother loves it there. He enjoys his job, his house, and the people, and when I visit, I take pride in being even a part-time Texan.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 AM

27 posts, read 147,101 times
Default fire ants

we are lucky here in "ROCKDALE TEXAS" it is a there is not any fire ants here. the soil is too sandy for them

Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 AM

27 posts, read 147,101 times
Default no fire ants in Rockdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyacar View Post
we are lucky here in "ROCKDALE TEXAS" it is a there is not any fire ants here. the soil is too sandy for them

we are lucky here in "ROCKDALE TEXAS"..we do not have any fire ants at all because the soil is too sandy for them

Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 AM

336 posts, read 697,940 times
I have lived in Texas all of my life...and after surviving Ike...I think it's about time
for a change...we will be moving away from the Gulf and looking for four seasons
also...top of Texas or Colorado are the choices so far....my kids are scared that
we are going to freeze to death...but we will just have to be adventuous and try
something new...

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
24 years ago, in Austin, it was a given that if you were needing to get onto the street from a parking lot and traffic was backed up, someone would of course let you in. The rest of the driving was pretty much the same - Texas friendly. I remember noticing the change, and it correlated with large numbers of people moving in from out of state (at that point, primarily California and New York license plates were the ones seen, with a smaller number of Kansas ones - this I noticed because my young son was into seeing how many license plates from how many different states he could see, so we naturally observed them and where they were from). Driving "manners" went downhill fast at that point, noticeably so, and I've bemoaned it ever since.

I'll be moving to Texas in a week and I'm from NJ (Don't worry I'll wave you in!) and I totally know what you mean about NY drivers. I live on the shore so of course they come down here to our "lovely" beaches and drive like complete idiots. Despite the fact that I'm not not there yet, I definitely won't miss New York drivers. And driving in the snow.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 PM

170 posts, read 598,570 times
We moved from Fort Worth to Chicago for my wife's residency program back in 2005. I was all excited about experiencing life in an interesting town for a few years, and being something of a foodie, I was especially excited about the food.

Well, we parked ourselves in the southwest suburbs and started trying different restaurants. Oh, the disappointment! My wife knew we were in trouble when she overheard a lady in the grocery store comment that some chicken sprinkled with black pepper looked "too spicy." We learned too late that mid-western tastes lean more toward, ah, boiled and bland.

True that downtown Chicago has some very fine eating, but at 26 miles of nasty traffic on top of expensive food and expensive parking, it's a rare trip for a family living on a resident's salary.

All that to say: I can't wait to get back to Texas for food with flavor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas