Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times

Advertisements

Plan to rent at least for 2 to 3 years. Get our RN or advanced degree. Hope to have 1 child maybe 2. Explore the area s in Texas is the plan and eventually buy. We found rentals that had pools, gyms, community rooms, movie theaters, and so forth under $1000. Where in CT cost you at least $1800 for a Studio with those amenities. Right now work as a psych tech. Pay is between minimum wage to $15 an hour from what I found in Texas. Make about $40K pre taxes $30K after taxes in CT as a Psych Tech.

Last edited by RunD1987; 03-08-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Houston overall is probably the best given your criteria.

I considered the Big 5 when I knew I was going to move to Texas in 2011. I moved as a single male. My primary criteria were an economic hub with numerous Fortune 500 HQs and high quality of jobs and a good social scene.

The first ones to get eliminated for me were San Antonio and Fort Worth. I felt San Antonio was too small for my needs. Same with Fort Worth. If it I was going to be in the Metroplex, it is going to be Dallas.

Austin was the next to go. While I saw some positives in Austin's economy, I was concerned about my ability to fit in socially in Austin. I'm not weird.

It came down to between Dallas and Houston. I really liked Houston. However, Houston's economy is heavily dependent upon energy and oil/gas and at that time, I had no energy industry experience. I was also concerned about getting wiped out in a hurricane. In 2011, Hurricane Ike in 2008 was a fairly recent memory and Hurricane Harvey in 2017 validated my decision not to go to Houston.

I've been in Dallas since 2011 and while I have had some ups and downs here, it has been a good fit. I'm really glad that I chose Dallas. However, I'm not sure Dallas is your best fit, but I would be open to answering questions about Dallas you might have.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Hi, so I applied to a few jobs in Texas already. 3 in SA, 1 in Austin, and about 4 to 5 in the Dallas area. Dallas seems to have a lot of jobs in my field of work as well as my wife's line of work, Dallas seems like a low cost of living, good public transportation options, and plenty of higher education opportunities as well. Only downside is it seems limited with outdoor amenities, traffic on the highways/construction, and weather is 4 seasons from what I researched, but that's okay. Plus Dallas seems to have a lot of activities with museums, aquarium, Six Flags, the zoo, botanical garden, and so forth.

Wouldn't mind the Austin one found a lot of super inexpensive rents within walking distance where the job was located.

Last edited by RunD1987; 03-12-2018 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so I applied to a few jobs in Texas already. 3 in SA, 1 in Austin, and about 4 to 5 in the Dallas area. Dallas seems to have a lot of jobs in my field of work as well as my wife's line of work, Dallas seems like a low cost of living, good public transportation options, and plenty of higher education opportunities as well. Only downside is it seems limited with outdoor amenities, traffic on the highways/construction, and weather is 4 seasons from what I researched, but that's okay. Plus Dallas seems to have a lot of activities with museums, aquarium, Six Flags, the zoo, botanical garden, and so forth.

Wouldn't mind the Austin one found a lot of super inexpensive rents within walking distance where the job was located.
Austin and San Antonio have about the same topography. The Hill Country starts in west Austin, and in San Antonio the Hill Country starts north and west. San Antonio has great museums, great children's museum (Doseum), a Six Flags, Sea World, the best zoo in Texas, and an amazing botanical gardens that just received a new multi-million dollar expansion.

You really can't go wrong in any Texas city if the right circumstances arrive.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post

San Antonio has great museums, great children's museum (Doseum), a Six Flags, Sea World, the best zoo in Texas, and an amazing botanical gardens that just received a new multi-million dollar expansion.
Mmm.... I don't know about that one...

Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Mmm.... I don't know about that one...
It is going through a 100 million dollar expansion. If you went to the zoo 5 years ago then you’d be amazed at it now.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:21 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It is going through a 100 million dollar expansion. If you went to the zoo 5 years ago then you’d be amazed at it now.
Well our zoo has constantly been ranked as one of the best zoos in the NATION for years, even without the upcoming expansion.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Why does it have to devolve into a pissing contest over whose city has the best zoo in Texas?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:26 PM

151 posts, read 147,457 times
OP is spot on the Northeast just sucks lol. It is mid March we get daily snow 3 Noreasters, it is just an awful cold depressing place for the better part of 5 months. If you or family enjoy fishing, outdoors even swimming it's so limited in the Northeast because even some summers aren't nice.

I am looking in the south very open to Texas as well. The only thing Northeast offers are the big urban job centers but they are gritty run down expensive.

Even if the heat in Texas is brutal June through August I can park my butt in a pool.

I want out!! Lol

Old 03-14-2018, 06:35 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Why does it have to devolve into a pissing contest over whose city has the best zoo in Texas?
Well that's what happens on these boards when someone clams to have the best of something and it's actually debatable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas