Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 08:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I could really say some really uncouth but true things about JJ. Let's sum it up by saying she was very troubled and morally challenged. Had nothing to do with where she grew up but more how she grew up and choices she made.
Perhaps... but there are still a great number of "amoral" people in the Golden Triangle of all ages. And some of what they pull makes me absolutely sick. IMO it is a big reason why the place looks and operates the way it does. But that's how they like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
I wonder why so many parents with troubled kids end up moving away to get into a newer, better environment? How many people have moved out of Beaumont and Port Arthur in the last 50 years? What made Nederland, Port Neches, and Lumberton grow so much? (and no, I am not claiming any place is drug free...)
There is only one reason the Golden Triangle has 400,000 people -- oil, otherwise it would be a marsh & river-bottom flood plain. BTW the census shows Nederland and Port Neches populations have stagnated over the past 50 years and while Lumberton has gained 10,000, the principal cities have either lost or stagnated over the past 60 years. The general area has had stagnant population #s over the past 60 years. And none of those 3 towns named are good for raising children nowadays, although maybe they were 30 years ago.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
3 towns named are good for raising children nowadays, although maybe they were 30 years ago.
Lumberton is a fine place to raise children! How you could say otherwise is unknown to me. Yes, 30 years ago... thats right about the time Mid County and Lumberton began to grow. Lumberton used to be a tiny town on dirt roads, now 4 lane highways connect subdivisions with $200,000 homes. Notice Port Arthur has gone from three high schools to one, and Beaumont had, what, about 5 highschools, and now has two?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,123,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's not the heat, it's the stupidity...
Agrred. Some magazine once name Beaumont a "Judicial Hellhole". People will sue anyone for anything. No wonders employers are reluctant to operate there.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,668 times
Quote:
Agrred. Some magazine once name Beaumont a "Judicial Hellhole". People will sue anyone for anything. No wonders employers are reluctant to operate there.
Actually, it’s because the judges and courts there are very pro-plaintiff.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I could really say some really uncouth but true things about JJ. Let's sum it up by saying she was very troubled and morally challenged. Had nothing to do with where she grew up but more how she grew up and choices she made.
Nope, it was her environment not her choices.

The history of the "Golden Triangle" which also creeps over to SW Louisiana but stops right at Sulphur (Lake Charles was not included) is that it was a "No Mans Land". Basically the French controlled the Eastern area with main city of New Orleans and the Spanish controlled the Western area with main city of San Antonio. Houston was a backwater and Galveston a port but San Antonio pulled the strings. The Spaniards in SA had nothing to do with the lowland backwater swamp that is Beaumont and Port Arthur didn't even exist, it was marshland. Lake Charles was the last "fort" for the French and they had no interest in the bottomland forests from there to the Sabine River.

What this did was meant that the Golden Triangle area was essentially a lawless area. Alcoholism was rampant and crime was always high. Vigilante justice (Vidor) ruled the area. It was a really horrible area.

When the US bought the Louisiana Purchase, they extended Louisiana to the Sabine River and established Vinton so the area could somewhat be governed, but the Triangle was still lawless.

When oil was discovered it gave the people in that area jobs that they didn't have before but the underlying problems still existed.

JJ was simply a product of that environment. By the way her music wouldn't have been as good had she not been in that environment. By the way, the women from that area are crazy but really great in bed

The GT problems will be fixed when the outer bands of the Houston metro area absorbs that area, in about 50 years I reckon.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:34 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
One of my college girlfriends (a hippie art major at UT - & a good kid) was a schoolmate of JJ. Said Joplin was bullied by a few of the jocks because she was "different".
Agreed about the bed thing.

The girlfriend didn't drink or smoke, but may have gotten into some recreational stimulants after we broke up.

One of my best buds at UT was from Beaumont - good guy and a normal college student with a good sense of humor. Nothing odd or corrupt about him either. Not everybody from there is a wild & crazy thing, though.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
One of my best buds at UT was from Beaumont - good guy and a normal college student with a good sense of humor. Nothing odd or corrupt about him either. Not everybody from there is a wild & crazy thing, though.
There are exceptions everywhere of course.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
People love to blame moral decay on so many things. Is moral decay really any worse in Beaumont than it is anywhere else?

Also, moral decay means different things to different people. I dont consider smoking pot, two gay people getting married, or Americas turn from religion immoral at all. The moral decay in America can be traced to one thing IMO: the worship of money and wealth. People have become less important than money and because of that people have become objects and money has become God (along with fame and power).

Old 05-29-2018, 09:33 PM

25 posts, read 24,005 times
Quote:
Cigarettes, spirits and STDs...

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...m-85307-tbla-5

People love to blame "chemicals" of "bad air" or "big oil", but in fact the cancer issue in Beaumont TX is lifestyle inflicted. in neighboring Port Arthur, in made news for having 10X the national average of Syphilis.
I don’t mean to laugh, but LOL. I remember going to Central High when my mom filled me in on sport Arthur. It has always had a reputation for being “unclean.” She said that when she was in high school, that nobody from Beaumont wanted to mess with Port Arthur girls. 😂 I’ve never first-hand dealt with it. To place this in a chronological perspective, my ma went to Central when it was called Beaumont Charlton Pollard. I was there in 2006. There were sayings even then. Sorta sad if one thinks about it . I never knew Beaumont had serious cancer issues though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas