Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM

31 posts, read 35,166 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I thought this would be a good place to ask about job availability for manufacturing. My husband is a material handler/machine operator, he usually has no problems getting jobs through staffing agencies which I see are plentiful in both cities mentioned. We are looking to relocate because of the weather here, we can't take the crazy cold and snow, and it's Spring here now in Indiana and there will be a snow storm this weekend. Ugh.

Anyway, I know both have their ups and downs, but I really wanted to know for a family, (we have a 6 year old), which is a better area? He wants San Antonio, but I wanted to make sure that no matter what he has opportunities.

Is crime worse in one over the other? And which has better schools?

We have a pretty decent budget to work with, and are going to be renting an apartment. Wherever we go he wants to be downtown, which is better for a family?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM

694 posts, read 834,755 times
Dallas- Forth Worth

Not even close.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...n-north-texas/

https://www.papercitymag.com/culture...uring-economy/

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...facturing.html

Downtown is not where the manufacturing is in either case though........its more on the outskirts.....probably best to come down and scout possibilities first and see what fits best

Old 03-21-2018, 01:30 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Fort Worth no question.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:44 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Either city will be a good option. San Antonio is manufacture heavy on the east and northeast sides of town. If you are talking sheer number of jobs than Ft. Worth. That said, those jobs also have way more applicants.

Keep in mind you are comparing an area of 2.5 million to 7.2 million. One is growing by 45,000 while the other 120,000+.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Either city will be a good option. San Antonio is manufacture heavy on the east and northeast sides of town. If you are talking sheer number of jobs than Ft. Worth. That said, those jobs also have way more applicants.

Keep in mind you are comparing an area of 2.5 million to 7.2 million. One is growing by 45,000 while the other 120,000+.

Thanks for your response. I just really want to make a good choice with this. He absolutely does not want to be in Dallas, and he said if I wanted Fort Worth it would be okay but he really wants San Antonio. He's going to do more research on open jobs before we make our final choice. We are moving in May if not sooner, and I was actually considering New Braunfels if he decided on going the San Antonio route, so that we would be between Austin and SA in case things went downhill. He's got two staffing agencies that tell him they'll hire him when we get in town, so he's very excited about that.

He's going to look into the GM plant in Fort Worth versus the Toyota plant in SA, he loves cars and he loves manufacturing lol. Either way I see there is plenty of things to do for fun

Old 03-22-2018, 02:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I have (3) friends who run Manufacturing plants near New Braunfels / San Marcos.

Jobs are available as turn-over can be frequent (especially for shift work).

I did 30+ yrs of manufacturing shift work so I could farm, volunteer, and homeschool my kids during the day.

I loved second shift, as sleep was not too disrupted (4PM - 2AM shift) + lots of OT, paid lunch time, no bosses, plenty of opportunity to make decisions / contribute to the quality of work. and most importantly no whining day-shifters striving to ascend to greatness.

I also have had some great CDL (truck driving gigs) on weekend nights.

There are a few manf employers in Bandera, Bourne, Comfort, Centerpoint, Kerrville (1 hr west of SA).
Pay (and CoL) is likely less.

Decent schools / family communities, and close to lots of Hill Country activities.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I’m in San Antonio and I’d love to have an opportunity in Ft worth. I think you’ll find a better quality of life there for your family and specifically your child.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 AM

How does the quality of life differ between the two?

Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvia34 View Post
How does the quality of life differ between the two?
YMMV,
Ft Worth = ;
  • A LOT more time in traffic (away from your family)
  • Threat of tornadoes and more violent storms
  • Tolls... "New Dallas-Fort Worth Residents Welcome to North Texas! NTTA has more than 972 tolled lane miles,"
  • More 'urban things to do
  • MUCH farther from 'remote' recreation (5 hrs vs 10 - 30 minutes from SA)
  • Higher population trying to access the limited recreation
  • Colder winters

A Perfect choice for many!

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news...s-figures-show

Old 03-22-2018, 11:42 AM

Oh okay, thanks. I usually don't live in the city, I'm not really a city person. Right now I live in northwest Indiana, and I dread going to Chicago lol. My husband wants to live in San Antonio but I was thinking of living in the outskirts of it because I hate cities, but is the downtown of San Antonio as bad as regular cities?

From what you stated of the tolls and distances to things, it might just be better to be away from all that. I'm doing research reading different blogs and different websites, and from what they are saying everyone is flocking to Fort Worth. If everyone else is flocking there, I'd prefer to be away from there... I despise crowding lol. Thank you Stealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas