Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 04:23 PM

82 posts, read 105,054 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with the LRGV through travels. It looks like it could be a good place to retire for the right person. I especially like the eastern part -- Bayview, Los Fresnos, Rio Hondo, eastern San Benito, and Brownsville. They get a bit more rain and the Gulf of Mexico moderates the temperatures a little compared to further inland. The tropical plants/landscaping is nice, the people are friendly, and, if you like Ranchera/Nortena and other Mexican music and Mexican food and culture, the region has potential.

HOWEVER, never having been there in the summer, how ghastly hot and humid does it really get? Can one still work outside near and after sunset and in the early morning hours or is one holed up inside under the protection of air conditioning? With so little rain, how often do people have to mow their lawns? Judging by what I've seen, it looks like you could skip mowing for the summer and take it up in the cooler fall without the grass and other vegetation having grown out of control. Is summer really unbearable there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
When the heat goes down, the mosquitos come out.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf View Post
I am familiar with the LRGV through travels. It looks like it could be a good place to retire for the right person. I especially like the eastern part -- Bayview, Los Fresnos, Rio Hondo, eastern San Benito, and Brownsville. They get a bit more rain and the Gulf of Mexico moderates the temperatures a little compared to further inland. The tropical plants/landscaping is nice, the people are friendly, and, if you like Ranchera/Nortena and other Mexican music and Mexican food and culture, the region has potential.

HOWEVER, never having been there in the summer, how ghastly hot and humid does it really get? Can one still work outside near and after sunset and in the early morning hours or is one holed up inside under the protection of air conditioning? With so little rain, how often do people have to mow their lawns? Judging by what I've seen, it looks like you could skip mowing for the summer and take it up in the cooler fall without the grass and other vegetation having grown out of control. Is summer really unbearable there?
If you're in Laredo you could just xeroscape and never have to water. In Brownsville you'd need a hardy bermuda grass and it would be green now and then but just let it go dormant during dry periods. If you want you could plant winter rye in the winter.

The heat and humidity is high but the Gulf offers a constant breeze and a place to cool off in.

The secret is that the southern coast of Texas is the last undiscovered beach area of this country...

I may even retire there.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:21 AM

738 posts, read 764,614 times
Early afternoon is when the wind picks up due to the Mexican mountains and the gulf interacting. It's most pronounced in Corpus but exists on the entire coast. Mid day before the wind picks up is the worst time of day. Mosquitos are the big issue at dawn and dusk. My experience is mowing every 2 weeks in Summer and every week in winter for Bermuda. Can also do wildflowers in the Spring to not mow for two months then(fun fact that the highway wildflowers are actually a money saver for the state since it knocks out mowing cost during an otherwise high need time of year.)

Late July/August is the worst since wind can fall off then. That's when you go to the beach for outside time or travel to see relatives and friends in the North. Older folks I'd encourage hiring a lawn guy for Summer it's not terribly expensive in this part of the country.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:28 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
Summers are brutally hot but the rest of the year is pretty nice. This has been one of the colder years down here however and actually snowed back in December. Still, I would choose the RGV over Florida any day. Less populated (especially on the East Lower Rio Grande valley), much cheaper, and very laid back and slow pace. GREAT place to retire. Though if you are an anglo you may feel out of place and it may not be for you. Its definitely a much different culture here. If you are the type of person that doesn't need constant 24/7 social stimulation than it won't be bad. Its a nice place to settle down

Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,289 times
Winters are very nice here. There are actually many people that still are using their unheated swimming pools around Christmas time. Summers, unfortunately, are very hot, especially the further inland one is. We live in McAllen and the nights are usually very pleasant. It cools off quickly after the sun sets and the humidity is almost non-existent at night. Mornings, tend to be very humid.

There is a large retiree community that lives in the LRGV called Winter Texans. Most of these people come here from the Midwestern United States or Central Canada and typically live in the LRGV area from November until mid-March. Many of these people end up living here year round as they like the access to Mexico for cheap dental and healthcare.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
As far as working outdoors in heat and sun, imitate people who do it for a living. Light weight long sleeved white cotton shirt, khaki pants, broad brimmed light colored hat (not a ball cap). Gloves. If you are light skinned sunscreen is required, if you are dark skinned you ought to use it too as dark skinned people can get skin cancer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas