Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times

Advertisements

Neighbors that rented two houses down had a transfer up to Dallas. I heard back from them and they said Dallas is a lot more expensive than the Houston area.

Katy ISD is excellent. Other school districts are excellent. A good way to get information on a move is through your church. I don't know if you have access to something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
The Dallas metro area is bringing in East/South Asians in droves, primarily Chinese and Indians. Collin County is now 17% Asian. So your idea that Dallas transplants are more from other parts of the United States isn't entirely accurate.
I never said the Dallas metro doesn't get ANY or even MANY foreign born transplants. You're really refuting something that I never said nor implied. Anyone who has been to the Dallas metro and spent any signifcant time here can tell you that Chinese and especially INDIANS are moving here in droves. As far as Collin County goes, Parts of Plano feel like China and Frisco is basically turning into India.

But compare that to Houston---which has more international transplants from MORE parts of the world residing and moving there in larger numbers besides just Indians and Chinese---and Houston definitely feels like it gets more international transplants versus US born transplants (which is why Houston does and has felt more international than Dallas for quite some time now, so it's really not debatable). This is especially true since much of the Dallas Metro's growth comes from all the US companies and their relocated employees that have moved to DFW within the last 3 or 4 years from different states here in the US.

That's all I'm saying. But while we're on the subject, I will say the largest group of international transplants to the Dallas metro by FAR is South Asians/Indians, and most South Asians/Indians here tend to work jobs that demand high salaries, which is yet another factor that is contributing to the skyrocketing cost of living in the Dallas metro and why DFW is now noticeably more expensive than Houston. So you pointing out how many and which types of Asians are moving to DFW really just proves the point that I was making (that Dallas metro is more expensive than Houston metro, and why).

Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
FOR THE RECORD....I wanted to move to Texas before ANY publication REGARDLESS if it praised all of Texas OR didnt mention it at all. I just wanted to know from people that are actually LIVING in Texas, what cities are promising for a newcomer. The only reason I mentioned the article is because of what I have seen in regards to Austin, but by all means Im way smarter than to just to base my life off of one publication.
Look, that's great. I can't speak for anybody else commenting on here, but personally, I just want to be real with you and let you know what to expect, so you don't end up making a bad and costly decision that you'll regret. And it's not really far fetched that people let "Best/Cheapest Cities" lists that they come across on chamber of commerce backed lists and websites or on booster filled forums like these sway them into making bad moves without doing much research of their own. Hell, droves of people buying into the Texas hype machine is exactly what happened to Austin as far as the 180 it did in regards to affordability and livability. Good luck in your decision making process and your move.

I still think Houston is your best bet. Or even San Antonio, if you are willing to check it out, since it's still the most affordable big Texas city that's not El Paso.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 PM

171 posts, read 145,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Neighbors that rented two houses down had a transfer up to Dallas. I heard back from them and they said Dallas is a lot more expensive than the Houston area.

Katy ISD is excellent. Other school districts are excellent. A good way to get information on a move is through your church. I don't know if you have access to something like that.
Thank you

Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,352 times
Quote:
Thank you
When we moved to Houston I was in the same boat. We knew the job was in Houston but so many choices of where to live. At that point we were in TX 20 years and living down in Victoria. We had been through Houston many times to shop and vacation.

One thing you really need to check is the weather. Dallas has snow and ice storms. No, not everywhere. Houston may have those once in a blue moon. Houston has flooding issues and rivers overflowing along with the threat of hurricanes. So. You find a place where the threat is lessened, has what you need, for the price you can afford.

I'd say visit the Houston thread and visit the Dallas one. Do your homework. I will say Houston is very diverse in so many ways. People are friendly. You get to know your neighbors. If people go to church you can expect them to be active church goers. A very welcoming place. I don't know if you watched some of the footage from Harvey. What you saw of neighbors and communities coming together to help each other - That's what Houston is. It's a very accepting place and a great place to raise your kids.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
When we moved to Houston I was in the same boat. We knew the job was in Houston but so many choices of where to live. At that point we were in TX 20 years and living down in Victoria. We had been through Houston many times to shop and vacation.

One thing you really need to check is the weather. Dallas has snow and ice storms. No, not everywhere. Houston may have those once in a blue moon. Houston has flooding issues and rivers overflowing along with the threat of hurricanes. So. You find a place where the threat is lessened, has what you need, for the price you can afford.

I'd say visit the Houston thread and visit the Dallas one. Do your homework. I will say Houston is very diverse in so many ways. People are friendly. You get to know your neighbors. If people go to church you can expect them to be active church goers. A very welcoming place. I don't know if you watched some of the footage from Harvey. What you saw of neighbors and communities coming together to help each other - That's what Houston is. It's a very accepting place and a great place to raise your kids.
Thank you , I have become a ball of stress trying to figure out what to do, Im trying to be as realistic as possible with my options because I know Im not financially ready right now to up and go, and I now it will be unbelievably hard with my 4 yr old. My only other option was to leave my son with family in Ohio and move first then come back for him once Im ready.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 AM

71 posts, read 77,350 times
Quote:
So, I am a single mother with a 3yr old son, I am from Cincinnati, but I currently live in Montgomery Al. I've been in Alabama for 6 months but I know for a FACT this is not the place for me and my boy. I am interested in moving to Texas by the beginning of the next year. I wanted to do a little research regarding what would be the best city for me and my son.
...snip...
I'm torn in between Houston and Dallas and wanted to know what are the best options. Any good help or insight would be great! Thank You.
Houston. Job market is booming and housing is reasonable.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
I never said the Dallas metro doesn't get ANY or even MANY foreign born transplants. You're really refuting something that I never said nor implied. Anyone who has been to the Dallas metro and spent any signifcant time here can tell you that Chinese and especially INDIANS are moving here in droves. As far as Collin County goes, Parts of Plano feel like China and Frisco is basically turning into India.

But compare that to Houston---which has more international transplants from MORE parts of the world residing and moving there in larger numbers besides just Indians and Chinese---and Houston definitely feels like it gets more international transplants versus US born transplants (which is why Houston does and has felt more international than Dallas for quite some time now, so it's really not debatable). This is especially true since much of the Dallas Metro's growth comes from all the US companies and their relocated employees that have moved to DFW within the last 3 or 4 years from different states here in the US.

That's all I'm saying. But while we're on the subject, I will say the largest group of international transplants to the Dallas metro by FAR is South Asians/Indians, and most South Asians/Indians here tend to work jobs that demand high salaries, which is yet another factor that is contributing to the skyrocketing cost of living in the Dallas metro and why DFW is now noticeably more expensive than Houston. So you pointing out how many and which types of Asians are moving to DFW really just proves the point that I was making (that Dallas metro is more expensive than Houston metro, and why).

For the most part, I agree with most of what you say. DFW is going to be more expensive than Houston, a larger White population and smaller Hispanic and AA population (this is all relative, both areas are very diverse overall). That's all pretty quantifiable.

The only thing I would note is that both metros are so large that lifestyle and housing options are going to be heavily dependent upon where one works and what is available within a reasonable commute.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Houston. Job market is booming and housing is reasonable.
Thank you I definitely want to lean towards a city with more opportunities for employment

Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM

638 posts, read 568,394 times
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...new-data-shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas