Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 03:07 PM

171 posts, read 145,840 times

Advertisements

So, I am a single mother with a 3yr old son, I am from Cincinnati, but I currently live in Montgomery Al. I've been in Alabama for 6 months but I know for a FACT this is not the place for me and my boy. I am interested in moving to Texas by the beginning of the next year. I wanted to do a little research regarding what would be the best city for me and my son. A little about myself, I am a single African American woman, 29 yrs old, I have a Bachelors degree in Communications, My son is very active and I want to get him involved in sports as well as get him into a good school system. As far as budget, being that I am a single parent, Im not rich, but Im not trying to live in the hood either, something in between and affordable, yet safe and still diverse enough that my son will be able to interact with a mixture of different children. I want to make Texas my permanent home so I want to eventually meet a great guy, so as far as places for a single black woman as myself to be able to find options would be nice. Also a place with a nice social environment, so I can be able to mix and mingle with people to make new friends. I'm torn in between Houston and Dallas and wanted to know what are the best options. Any good help or insight would be great! Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Also a place with a nice social environment, so I can be able to mix and mingle with people to make new friends. I'm torn in between Houston and Dallas and wanted to know what are the best options. Any good help or insight would be great! Thank You.
Most people in Texas agree Houston is a much friendlier city, especially for newcomers. You will always be made welcome in Houston.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Houston is friendlier AND cheaper. Also has way more/better AA culture.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I lived in both but Im not black so take that for what its worth.

Black families seem to prefer Dallas but single black people seem to prefer Houston. Families in general however prefer Dallas mainly because there are so many more suburbs with good schools to choose from. Houston seems to offer more in the way of black social life and nightlife.

Houston is more laid back but its a very disorganized city. Dallas is a bit more structured and organized. Houston has more people from other countries and Dallas has more people from other parts of the US. As a whole, Dallas' out of state birth rate is quite a bit higher than Houston so you would run into more non-Texans there. You would meet more people from other countries in Houston (especially the Latin ones).

That said, I dont know that either is a wrong answer. The black community is currently growing faster in Dallas but its more established in Houston. I would ask myself if you prefer living in a suburb or in the city itself. If the answer, is a suburb, I would move to Dallas. If the answer is the city, Id move to Houston.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Families in general however prefer Dallas mainly because there are so many more suburbs with good schools to choose from.
Very true, but as quickly as the cost of living has risen and is STILL skyrocketing in the Dallas area, what difference would Dallas having more nice suburbs with good schools make, if the average middle class person or middle class family (not UPPER middle class) can't---or soon won't be able to---afford to live in those suburbs anyway? Dallas/DFW is getting RIDICULOUS (especially with the housing and rent prices), and is on pace to catch up to and even surpass Austin's overpriced COL.

I'm not trying to be confrontational by pointing that out, but that is VERY important information that should not be omitted when discussing a life changing decision such as a move, especially considering she is a single mom. Heck, even the cost of DAY CARE has gotten ridiculous in the Dallas area. It's just significantly more expensive to live in Dallas/DFW than Houston these days, and the gap is quickly growing wider.

Quote:
Houston has more people from other countries and Dallas has more people from other parts of the US. As a whole, Dallas' out of state birth rate is quite a bit higher than Houston so you would run into more non-Texans there.
...and this is EXACTLY why Dallas has gotten noticeably more expensive than Houston so quickly. Having a bunch of foreign born residents from typically poorer countries doesn't drive the cost of living in a place up much. But having more US born residents (and companies) relocating in droves from much higher cost of living areas like California and the Northeast sure as heck will jack up the cost of living quicker than you can blink, though, which is exactly what's happening in Dallas/DFW. People trying to decide between Dallas and Houston for relocation need to be made aware of this, especially middle class folks, because they are the ones who are getting priced out.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Very true, but as quickly as the cost of living has risen and is STILL skyrocketing in the Dallas area, what difference would Dallas having more nice suburbs with good schools make, if the average middle class person or middle class family (not UPPER middle class) can't---or soon won't be able to---afford to live in those suburbs anyway? Dallas/DFW is getting RIDICULOUS (especially with the housing and rent prices), and is on pace to catch up to and even surpass Austin's overpriced COL.

I'm not trying to be confrontational by pointing that out, but that is VERY important information that should not be omitted when discussing a life changing decision such as a move, especially considering she is a single mom. Heck, even the cost of DAY CARE has gotten ridiculous in the Dallas area. It's just significantly more expensive to live in Dallas/DFW than Houston these days, and the gap is quickly growing wider.

...and this is EXACTLY why Dallas has gotten noticeably more expensive than Houston so quickly. Having a bunch of foreign born residents from typically poorer countries doesn't drive the cost of living in a place up much. But having more US born residents (and companies) relocating in droves from much higher cost of living areas like California and the Northeast sure as heck will jack up the cost of living quicker than you can blink, though, which is exactly what's happening in Dallas/DFW. People trying to decide between Dallas and Houston for relocation need to be made aware of this, especially middle class folks, because they are the ones who are getting priced out.
I didnt take that as confrontational. Pretty much everything you said is correct, though I would mention that Fort Worth is still quite reasonable and even Dallas the city still isnt terrible. Its the northern suburbs of Dallas that have gotten ridiculous. There still are quite a few more suburbs to choose from up there though.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
I didnt take that as confrontational. Pretty much everything you said is correct, though I would mention that Fort Worth is still quite reasonable and even Dallas the city still isnt terrible. Its the northern suburbs of Dallas that have gotten ridiculous. There still are quite a few more suburbs to choose from up there though.

Your talking about "incorporated" suburbs. My guess is the number of suburban subdivisions is similar between the two metro's...

Old 04-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post

Thank you so much for this info. Alot to think about, I definitely want to be able to afford my move and afford to live comfortably as well. I'm shocked you stated that Austin is overpriced, that was another option I was thinking of after reading that it was one of the top up and coming cities on CNN

Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM

Thank you so much you all for the insight. Much appreciated

Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Thank you so much for this info. Alot to think about, I definitely want to be able to afford my move and afford to live comfortably as well. I'm shocked you stated that Austin is overpriced, that was another option I was thinking of after reading that it was one of the top up and coming cities on CNN
You are making decision to move based on what CNN said ? Wow. Dallas or Houston will probably shock you just how expensive it is compared to where you have lived. When others say the major Texas cities are cheap they are coming either from the left coast or east cost. Both are super expensive areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas