U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,433,740 times

Advertisements

I've now been in Victoria for almost a year, since I moved here from Michigan. I considered a few other similar towns in Texas, and I liked this one best, and I still like it. I find that it is not a very racist place at all. The town is about half Hispanic, but I've found that Hispanics prefer to use English here, and one doesn't really hear very much Spanish in the streets and shops.

Victoria is split, with the newer suburbs and shopping areas sprawling to the north, and the south end retaining the flavor of old Victoria. Real estate is quite inexpensive, with plenty of pleasant houses in the older neighborhoods selling for under 100K. There are three apartment complexes in the area between downtown and the college, which are well-maintained and quiet, where a 2-BR rents for in the 400's. These apartments are within a 3/4-mile walk of two supermarkets and the central bus terminal. The local bus system is excellent, with departures on four routes every 30 minutes, for 75 cents. There are two fine libraries, the public one downtown, and the Victoria College library which grants borrowing priveleges to the general public.

One key thing about Victoria is that it is the largest city for 120 miles in any direction, so virtually everything you would ever need is here, including two large hospitals. One never needs to go to another city for anything, except maybe entertainment. Yet, it is a small enough city that one never feels crushed by an urban metropolis. Traffic is downright liesurely, but can be busy when train crossings disrupt rush-hour. A lot of trains go through town, at grade.

The climate can be oppressive in summer, when the humidity is high, but I often leave my unscreened door open and have never had any difficulty with bugs.

A few things you might miss would be a bookstore, and a health-food store. The local daily newspaper might be one of the worst in the world, but the cable TV system is better than most. There is only one disappointing movie cineplex, which shows almost no R-rated films and doesnt start any features after 9 pm. There is a street curfew for teenagers in Victoria, and a few neighborhoods appear to have crime and gang problems. According to the police reports in the paper, there is virtually no serious crime, or else the police spend all their time harrassing minor possession infractions and domestic altercations and ignore serious crime. Dogs bark nearly all the time, with apparent impunity. Gasoline prices are below Texas average. There are a lot of thrift shops, and local people say this is the worst WalMart on earth, and they might be right. Supermarkets include the WalMart, two HEBs and a nice Sav-a-Lot, all with good selections and prices.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM

45 posts, read 139,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've now been in Victoria for almost a year, since I moved here from Michigan. I considered a few other similar towns in Texas, and I liked this one best, and I still like it. I find that it is not a very racist place at all. The town is about half Hispanic, but I've found that Hispanics prefer to use English here, and one doesn't really hear very much Spanish in the streets and shops.

Victoria is split, with the newer suburbs and shopping areas sprawling to the north, and the south end retaining the flavor of old Victoria. Real estate is quite inexpensive, with plenty of pleasant houses in the older neighborhoods selling for under 100K. There are three apartment complexes in the area between downtown and the college, which are well-maintained and quiet, where a 2-BR rents for in the 400's. These apartments are within a 3/4-mile walk of two supermarkets and the central bus terminal. The local bus system is excellent, with departures on four routes every 30 minutes, for 75 cents. There are two fine libraries, the public one downtown, and the Victoria College library which grants borrowing priveleges to the general public.

One key thing about Victoria is that it is the largest city for 120 miles in any direction, so virtually everything you would ever need is here, including two large hospitals. One never needs to go to another city for anything, except maybe entertainment. Yet, it is a small enough city that one never feels crushed by an urban metropolis. Traffic is downright liesurely, but can be busy when train crossings disrupt rush-hour. A lot of trains go through town, at grade.

The climate can be oppressive in summer, when the humidity is high, but I often leave my unscreened door open and have never had any difficulty with bugs.

A few things you might miss would be a bookstore, and a health-food store. The local daily newspaper might be one of the worst in the world, but the cable TV system is better than most. There is only one disappointing movie cineplex, which shows almost no R-rated films and doesnt start any features after 9 pm. There is a street curfew for teenagers in Victoria, and a few neighborhoods appear to have crime and gang problems. According to the police reports in the paper, there is virtually no serious crime, or else the police spend all their time harrassing minor possession infractions and domestic altercations and ignore serious crime. Dogs bark nearly all the time, with apparent impunity. Gasoline prices are below Texas average. There are a lot of thrift shops, and local people say this is the worst WalMart on earth, and they might be right. Supermarkets include the WalMart, two HEBs and a nice Sav-a-Lot, all with good selections and prices.
Thanks for the comments. I will be moving to Victoria in two months and this painted a pretty good picture for me. Do you know anything about rental homes in Victoria?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 AM

9,353 posts, read 18,079,539 times
wow jtur.... that is probably the most comprehensive summary that i have been able to find ..... thanks!!

i keep coming back to the excellent real estate prices here.... i am just beginning to shop around a bit .... and by internet at that, because i don't think i will be able to make my move back to south texas for about another 2 years or so.....

as a single woman, are there neighborhoods that i should probably avoid?? NOT being racist .... i don't care what my neighbors look like, as long as i don't have to see run-down, unkempt, junk strewn properties..... which is something that cuts across ALL races.....

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 24,568 times
Everyone who has posted is correct, but coming from someone that has lived in Victoria most of their life. The town is about 45% white, 50% Hispanic, it's down to about 7% Black, and the remaining is other ethnicities. Yes, there is racism there, but it is the "hidden" kind. If you are not of either of the two top ethnicities, then you will find the racism. It is mainly in the job areas.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 24,568 times
To quote jtur88, he must be one of the top ethnicities. Yes, there are bad neighborhoods, and that is because the people that live in them can not afford to keep them up. These neighborhoods are not so much "crime-infested", as they are unkept due to the city ignoring that most of these neighborhood are Minority neighborhoods, that have been here forever. Only the "rich" or privileged neighborhoods get the historical markers and get the privilege to be "kept up" by the city. All in all, if you obtain a good job, and home, Victoria is a safe place to live as a single person or to raise your family.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
Growing up in south Texas near the border, and an hour and a half from Victoria, I did not know what racism was. I could not see the difference between white, brown, black, or any other color under the rainbow.

Only when I was removed from the state of Texas to a northern state did I find out what racism was, and to my shame, I developed a little bit of a racist part to myself. It is a demon I must face, and that I have actively worked on removing. As far as racism is concerned, I think its bred by people with too little exposure to other cultures and too much time on their hands. Texas being the way she is, typically does not offer an abundance of either. She is the great melting pot, and there is so much to do year round that you don't have time to worry about petty insignificants like being racist.

And by the way, I am past it. I would not be moving back to a border area if I wasn't.
Growing up in the Kingsville area (Riviera specifically), I'm not sure what town "near the border" you would be talking about that only an hour and a half away from Victoria? Corpus perhaps?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 23,682 times
Smile Regarding your racism question in Victoria.

Racism happens everywhere, but I lived in Victoria 12 years ago, and I, myself am black and white. I didnt really ever experience racism when I was there for a year, and my boyfriend, who is also african american to my knowledge never experienced either. Actually we both had friends that were not our race and were very nice people. Just watch the areas you move into, Victoria had alot of problems with gangs back then and if you dont want problems, dont make them. I hope you enjoy your move to Victoria....I plan to move back there in a couple of years once Im done with college, with my kids. Victoria is a beautiful place to raise a family. And they have alot of possitive things for families to get into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beni tata View Post
Hello people,
I'm looking forward to relocating at Victoria, TX. To be honest, I've heard that people in the South are quiet racist. I've never been there. I'm African-American definitely not looking for troubles. Sorry if I offended people by saying that. I just want to know if Victoria is a great peaceful place to grow up my little family no matter race.
Thanks for understanding,
God bless everyone and America.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,849,335 times
Get over yourself Texas Reb- the guy who started this thread isn't talking about affirmative action- are you really clueless as to what he meant by racism that you have to consult a dictionary?

( As you probably are) he simply wanted to know if he would be treated differently -negatively because he was Black. Would people be friendly? Would he be able to live in any apartment or house he wanted to?

To answer that - I would say every person is different and Texas is not necessarily more racist than other places. I was a DA in very south texas and hispanics didn't like Blacks - and they would openly call them the N word in my county. I remember running for DA and there was a block in Wiillacy County where only Blacks lived -Washington Street. I started to go door to door and a few people asked me "Why are you going there?" Because they are people. I didn't like Deep South Texas because too many racial stereotypes - anything I did was because I was an Anglo - and vice versa . Of course Willacy County was more backward - poorer and less educated than much of the rest of Texas.

Finally during this last election - many didn't like Obama because he was a Democrat and Liberal - I can understand that. All those Texans who kept calling him Hussain and Muslim when he was clearly not -- yes they were racist.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,612,088 times
In a move of Unity, the Hispanic Chamber merges with the Chamber. I think that should speak volumes about the city.

MULITICULTURAL CHAMBER: Is there still a need for ethnic chambers of commerce? (08-OCT-06) Victoria Advocate (Victoria, TX)

Old 12-21-2008, 05:13 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,079,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Get over yourself Texas Reb- the guy who started this thread isn't talking about affirmative action- are you really clueless as to what he meant by racism that you have to consult a dictionary?

( As you probably are) he simply wanted to know if he would be treated differently -negatively because he was Black. Would people be friendly? Would he be able to live in any apartment or house he wanted to?

To answer that - I would say every person is different and Texas is not necessarily more racist than other places. I was a DA in very south texas and hispanics didn't like Blacks - and they would openly call them the N word in my county. I remember running for DA and there was a block in Wiillacy County where only Blacks lived -Washington Street. I started to go door to door and a few people asked me "Why are you going there?" Because they are people. I didn't like Deep South Texas because too many racial stereotypes - anything I did was because I was an Anglo - and vice versa . Of course Willacy County was more backward - poorer and less educated than much of the rest of Texas.

Finally during this last election - many didn't like Obama because he was a Democrat and Liberal - I can understand that. All those Texans who kept calling him Hussain and Muslim when he was clearly not -- yes they were racist.
oh trust me .... wasn't just texans doin' that.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas