Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,188,089 times

Advertisements

Go read more of ocean2026 post on other threads and you will see where he is coming from.. I think he hates Texas.

And to the OP, you will be welcomed to Texas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,520,211 times
Glad I caught this post...

Quote:
=ocean2026;6648006]Get over yourself Texas Reb- the guy who started this thread isn't talking about affirmative action- are you really clueless as to what he meant by racism that you have to consult a dictionary?
WTH (out of deference to the Texas ladies I will refrain from the temptation of using the 6th letter of the alphabet to preface) is your problem, Ocean? Step up the plate, my friend if you have an issue...

To start, I don't need your smarta$$ patronizing translation as to what the OP meant. And I doubt he does either. In fact, you are the one totally clueless as to meaning and intent per what my point was. So -- and granted that this thread is over 6 months old -- will patiently try and explain it to you:

At that particular time, there were many, many, "troll" type threads on this and other forums being started which attempted to capitalize on the "race" and "racism" card. You probably didn't know this because you weren't around at the time. As it was, my reply was not even directed at the OP, as I thought I made clear. But rather, to the fact that "racism" is one of those labels which can mean anything the user wants it to mean.

By extension, of course, no wonder your understanding of what I meant is so limited as to being such a narrow application as to what the OP himself meant.

Personally, I hope this man has happily re-located into Victoria, Texas. I think I even expressed that sentiment. If I didn't, then I beg pardons...as I meant too. Now then, if you want to debate/discuss the definition (or not) of "racist" or "racism"? I am available and ever ready.

Dictionary? You apparently don't absorb very well, as it ought to have been obvious the whole "dictionary" conotation was in reference to the fact that there IS no precise definion. It was intended as ironic. Maybe you didn't grasp that though....

Quote:
(As you probably are) he simply wanted to know if he would be treated differently -negatively because he was Black. Would people be friendly? Would he be able to live in any apartment or house he wanted to?
See above on original replies. But explain what you mean, sir, by the (as you probably are) remark.

Quote:
To answer that - I would say every person is different and Texas is not necessarily more racist than other places.
I agree with you on this one. Whaddya know..

Quote:
Finally during this last election - many didn't like Obama because he was a Democrat and Liberal - I can understand that. All those Texans who kept calling him Hussain and Muslim when he was clearly not -- yes they were racist.
And people from other parts of the country didn't do the same? But again, define racist...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-22-2008 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,494,050 times
To the last two posters - yes there are racists all over - but the original poster just wanted to know how he would be treated in Texas.

One thing I've noticed about Texas as compared to the East Coast. Back East people talk more about their ethicity - they are Polish or Irish ... Jewish (although that's not technically an ethnicity). In Rockport where I live - 55 miles from Victoria the town in question-- people don't seem to care about ethnicity. I'm of Jewish background and was elected to office in a county with perhaps 6 Jews. If it was an issue I never heard it. As for the other 5 Jews I could not really figure out who they were because they seemed so much like "regular" people -lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
To the last two posters - yes there are racists all over - but the original poster just wanted to know how he would be treated in Texas.
And again, I really do apologize to the OP if I didn't address his question directly and instead chose a path which went to the larger (yet equally relevant) issue of what, exactly, is meant by "racism" or "racist."

But for sure I stand by -- totally -- that people in Texas/South are no more racist than in any other part of the country. Some of our history would lend to that conclusion, I suppose (Jim Crow laws, for example), but I say it is only because we Texans/Southerners were just less hypocritical about it all.

Quote:
One thing I've noticed about Texas as compared to the East Coast. Back East people talk more about their ethicity - they are Polish or Irish ... Jewish (although that's not technically an ethnicity). In Rockport where I live - 55 miles from Victoria the town in question-- people don't seem to care about ethnicity. I'm of Jewish background and was elected to office in a county with perhaps 6 Jews. If it was an issue I never heard it. As for the other 5 Jews I could not really figure out who they were because they seemed so much like "regular" people -lol.
I will agree with this. I never lived in the NE (and never will LOL) , but once had a several year relationship with a lady who was (from Massachusets). And she said the same thing (we used to have some great discussions about cultural differences). To wit, that where she came from, the "ethnic" thing was the "segregation" point. Whereas, down here, it was more in broader terms of white, black, hispanic. Yet? There really didn't seem to be open animosity, exactly...down here. And I agree totally. On the other hand, up in some ethnic enclaves in the NE, Irish, Polish, Italian, etc, that one didn't venture outside of their own "turfs."

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-22-2008 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 07:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,709,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Maybe I should just shut up and keep quiet --and NO disrespect intended toward the OP and topic -- but I just get sick and tired of "racism" or some theme or variation of it coming up constantly. More so though, I get tired of the self-righteous attitudes of some of those who reply to the said topics (hastening again to add that I am NOT referring to anyone here, necessarily).

Heck, "racism" doesn't even have a precise definition. It can mean anything in the world. Just like "jerk" can be so considered.

Ok..I quit for now!
That's OK, most racist share the same sentiment.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
That's OK, most racist share the same sentiment.
Explain, please?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-22-2008 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,891,545 times
I think someone is calling you out REB.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I think someone is calling you out REB.
I think so too, Muhnay. And I am here. Still, I could be wrong. So would like to hear the rationale and explanation from the poster before I draw any conclusions on the matter. I will leave it at that for now...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-22-2008 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,891,545 times
REB, I get tired of hearing LESBIAN INTERRACIAL COUPLE wanting to move to the south, will we have any problems? And everyone has to try and be all PC about it and say naw not at all, I admire your choice.. or something sappy like that. YES your going to have a problem. ONE your in the bible belt the part that frowns on Gay's, SECOND your in the bible belt that does not like to see one of those with one of these mentality. So yes your going to have problems.. oh you have a child.. expect hell to freeze over for that kid. There is Racism in many forms all over the place. I see it everyday being a White Male in a Hispanic Majority.. like the need to speak spanish to work at McDonalds as an example... But the PC crowd will say don't like it move... or they call me a racist for not agreeing to it. So yeah there is going to be problems all over. Victoria impressed me though by the two Chambers becoming one.. it showed Unity in its people and its chambers and to me that is a good thing.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
REB, I get tired of hearing LESBIAN INTERRACIAL COUPLE wanting to move to the south, will we have any problems? And everyone has to try and be all PC about it and say naw not at all, I admire your choice.. or something sappy like that. YES your going to have a problem. ONE your in the bible belt the part that frowns on Gay's, SECOND your in the bible belt that does not like to see one of those with one of these mentality. So yes your going to have problems.. oh you have a child.. expect hell to freeze over for that kid. There is Racism in many forms all over the place. I see it everyday being a White Male in a Hispanic Majority.. like the need to speak spanish to work at McDonalds as an example... But the PC crowd will say don't like it move... or they call me a racist for not agreeing to it. So yeah there is going to be problems all over. Victoria impressed me though by the two Chambers becoming one.. it showed Unity in its people and its chambers and to me that is a good thing.
You summed it up very well, Muhnay...at least IMHO. I can honestly say (like you say) that I have really never seen any overt sanctioned "ism" against "gays" or blacks or hispanics or whatever, in Texas. BUT...for some reason, there are those who make a living and/or chose a self-righteous path to dig it out...even if it doesn't really exist. They will seize upon the most obscure and isolated episodes to point fingers and say something like "Texas is a racist state and Texans are mostly "racist" (or whatever) but do so totally oblivious to worse problems in their own backyards.

Anyway, you pegged it right. We are a conservative state in a conservative part of the country. And if someone moves down here, then it is up to them to adapt and, if not do as the Romans do, then at least don't expect us to change how we do it.

We Texans/Southerners really are the most tolerant people in the country...in the true and classic definition of the adjective and virtue. No, our definition of "tolerance" does not mean embracing and touting of every single trendy chic "progressive" (whatever THAT means) thing that comes along in the name of it. But rather, live and let live...and a natural understanding of how to do so...!

Simple as that. Don't you think, my friend?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-22-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas