Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 AM

452 posts, read 1,722,615 times

Advertisements

My daddy and his parents were born in stephenville. I go thru there sometimes on my way from here to hobbs.... my grandmother is buried there. My dad was NEVER a cowboy...which maybe would have made him a much better man ...but HIS dad was. Horses, cows...the whole enchilada. My happy times were with my grandaddy!!

The term "goat roper"....where did that come from and what exactly does it mean in cowboy terms??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM

493 posts, read 636,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTownGirl View Post
Thank you for all your replies! This has really made me so excited! I cannot wait to go to Texas and see all the wonderful things you have mentioned.

One question though, no one has mentioned anything with regard to safety of a 26yr single female driving alone? Is it acceptable?
In Texas and the United States...it is perfectly fine for a woman to drive alone...I would assume that in South Africa a woman driving alone would be fine, except for the violent parts...In America, driving around the country is generally not a problem...however, if you venture into any American metropolis...you should exercise caution...whether male or female...but then again I've never been to SA, but I want to go...what kind of South African woman are you? Have you ever seen Lethal Weapon 2...are you kind of like Patsy Kensit's character...if so...then you are welcome in my state anytime
BTW Billy Bob's is the best cowboy destination in my book because Texas Music is what I consider a very important element of our culture along with our Women...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
A 26-year-old woman should be fine driving alone. My 24-year-old daughter is, anyway! And she and her best friend drove on their own to New Mexico a few years back, and to Louisiana on another trip (pre-Katrina). I didn't worry about them more than the normal amount of mother-worry, anyway.

Oh, if you should hit Austin, be sure to go to the Broken Spoke on a Friday or Saturday night. You will hear Texas music, and somebody may even teach you to dance to it.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM

I always had a man's hat or two in my car when I drove alone and enough stuff piled in the front seat; no one could tell it WASN'T a man sitting next to me. You'll see some gorgeous country in Texas for sure!!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
My daddy and his parents were born in stephenville. I go thru there sometimes on my way from here to hobbs.... my grandmother is buried there. My dad was NEVER a cowboy...which maybe would have made him a much better man ...but HIS dad was. Horses, cows...the whole enchilada. My happy times were with my grandaddy!!

The term "goat roper"....where did that come from and what exactly does it mean in cowboy terms??
I can't say for sure, but I know people who train horses starting out on goats. We sold a young QH gelding to some people one time who took him and started working goats with him. That horse became one of the best cutting horses I've ever seen.

My daughter ropes goats off of her horse. So, maybe someone saw some people working goats with horses and decided to call them goat ropers and it stuck. Who knows?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM

I do remember, waaaaay back, when that term was used as a less than positive term for some fellas. Never knew why and never asked. My grandpa taught my three girl cousins and me to rope goats while we were still in grade school and I have the pics to prove it. But he never even let us near his cutting horse.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I always had a man's hat or two in my car when I drove alone and enough stuff piled in the front seat; no one could tell it WASN'T a man sitting next to me. You'll see some gorgeous country in Texas for sure!!
There you go! Twice.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 54,577 times
[quote=whitechocolate86;3313539].but then again I've never been to SA, but I want to go...what kind of South African woman are you? Have you ever seen Lethal Weapon 2...are you kind of like Patsy Kensit's character...if so...then you are welcome in my state anytime

Ha ha ha.... I have not seen Lethal Weapon to would not know what kind of character she is However, I am a white, blonde SA woman so could be on the right track. We are friendly, open-minded girls, with good morals and values, and hardworking.... and I also think SA women are particularly good-looking.... Charlize Theron is our claim to fame

Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM

28 posts, read 76,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
The best place to find Cowboys in Texas .....is just about any rural area. The area that I'm from is East Texas. We are 80 miles east of Dallas. If you are coming in May there is a great little rodeo....there will be plenty of REAL cowboys, Real country music. I'm sure on the post you will hear from other people around TX that will tell you about happenings in other areas of Texas.
where in east tx do you live?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
When I drove around Texas last year, I was surprised to see how many women were driving alone out in the country. It is absolutely very safe driving out in the country alone. So many people will go out of their way to help a stranger down here in Texas. It makes me proud! Come on down! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas