Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:17 PM

638 posts, read 568,486 times

Advertisements

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicatio...exas-triangle/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Enjoyed reading this. Very prosperous times ahead not only for that region but the entire state.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:09 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
That's it, I'm moving to Cameron, TX, right in the middle of the triangle! :-)

Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
Yes, the article is a good read, even though I might have a few quibbles. While I can see Houston being weaker in the finance sector compared to Dallas, is it really also dwarfed by Austin and SA? Also, being a center of the global oil biz is why Houston is as impressively international as it is ... which seems to be unrecognized by the authors as well as most people in general.

Going beyond those quibbles, I suspect that Houston will be the weak link in the Texas Triangle as oil declines, unless it gets back to diversifying. That will be tough if it continues to ignore building and maintaining infrastructure to mitigate flooding.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Yes, the article is a good read, even though I might have a few quibbles. While I can see Houston being weaker in the finance sector compared to Dallas, is it really also dwarfed by Austin and SA? Also, being a center of the global oil biz is why Houston is as impressively international as it is ... which seems to be unrecognized by the authors as well as most people in general.

Going beyond those quibbles, I suspect that Houston will be the weak link in the Texas Triangle as oil declines, unless it gets back to diversifying. That will be tough if it continues to ignore building and maintaining infrastructure to mitigate flooding.
There isn't much finance left in Dallas after the '80s oil bust. The regional Federal Reserve Bank is still located there and a regional bank relocated its headquarters from out-of-state. But Houston also has a couple of regional banks headquartered there. I can also point out a few serial entrepreneurs who sold banks and grew new ones in this city.

Houston diversifying is inevitable because Austin and Dallas cost-of-living is skyrocketing out of control. There is ample office space due to the oil bust, Bush Airport is a good national and excellent international transportation link, and the COL is more affordable than the two cities. San Antonio and Waco (thanks to the Gaines') will follow shortly due to affordability factors.

Texas doesn't maintain infrastructure very well. For example, highway landscaping and upgraded signage maintenance has long been neglected as an unnecessary expense. The increased population spread out in the Triangle creates inefficiencies that come from the unnecessary duplication of resources from unnecessary sprawl.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:51 AM

Default Dallas area now boasting the country’s third-largest concentration of financial workers

https://www.city-journal.org/html/fi...uth-15894.html

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
There isn't much finance left in Dallas after the '80s oil bust. The regional Federal Reserve Bank is still located there and a regional bank relocated its headquarters from out-of-state. But Houston also has a couple of regional banks headquartered there. I can also point out a few serial entrepreneurs who sold banks and grew new ones in this city.

Houston diversifying is inevitable because Austin and Dallas cost-of-living is skyrocketing out of control. There is ample office space due to the oil bust, Bush Airport is a good national and excellent international transportation link, and the COL is more affordable than the two cities. San Antonio and Waco (thanks to the Gaines') will follow shortly due to affordability factors.

Texas doesn't maintain infrastructure very well. For example, highway landscaping and upgraded signage maintenance has long been neglected as an unnecessary expense. The increased population spread out in the Triangle creates inefficiencies that come from the unnecessary duplication of resources from unnecessary sprawl.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/cost-of-l...ston-vs-dallas

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...houston/dallas

https://www.payscale.com/cost-of-liv.../Texas-Houston

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Is there really that much difference in the cost of living in Dallas from Houston?

Last edited by Yac; 06-12-2018 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:

There isn't too much difference in the cost of living in Dallas versus Houston but I think the cost difference in Dallas can be very different depending on which side you live on. Houston is more evenly spread out. Austin is worse IMO. So many tech companies are paying their employees what they would in the Bay or Seattle is really increasing the prices of everything and squeezing the natives.

DFW has stronghold on a variety of industries that I don't know how attractive Houston will be for corporate relocations. Maybe secondary offices if the city can market right. Even San Antonio is trying to poach a Houston made biotech company. I don't see other major Texas metros lose companies unless it's a clear step up like Whataburger from CC to SA or AT&T from SA to DFW.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
There isn't much finance left in Dallas after the '80s oil bust. [...]
I think the fiance sector in Dallas is doing fine? Or that is the impression I get....

Old 06-05-2018, 09:37 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There isn't too much difference in the cost of living in Dallas versus Houston but I think the cost difference in Dallas can be very different depending on which side you live on. Houston is more evenly spread out. Austin is worse IMO. So many tech companies are paying their employees what they would in the Bay or Seattle is really increasing the prices of everything and squeezing the natives.

DFW has stronghold on a variety of industries that I don't know how attractive Houston will be for corporate relocations. Maybe secondary offices if the city can market right. Even San Antonio is trying to poach a Houston made biotech company. I don't see other major Texas metros lose companies unless it's a clear step up like Whataburger from CC to SA or AT&T from SA to DFW.
I agree with pretty much all of this. Houston and Dallas overall probably aren't all that different in terms of COL, but the nicer parts of Dallas generally seem to be more expensive than the nicer parts of Houston. I think it's gotten a lot worse in the last 2-3 years as well but its hard to say.

As far as corporate relocations you're right, but this is primarily because most of Houston's large companies are home-grown, and generally in energy. Dallas has a more diverse economy primarily because of the corporate relocations. Houston has never been as strong in this area and I don't expect that to change going forward - the business community in Houston isn't nearly as oriented to chasing corporate relocations as they are in DFW. However, I do expect it to continue to create local companies that grow into F500-type companies as it has historically done, with an accelerating biomedical component in that mix once the TMC3 project gets off the ground. Assuming local leadership continues to improve flood control, I don't see too many issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas