Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times

Advertisements

You brought up one thing I've always wondered about: why do we (in Texas) have so many mediocre taquerías compared to Mexico, when the main clientele in both places seem to be working-class people? Or am I missing something? Do working-class immigrants here settle for less or is it just because they didn't experience the best in their home country?

In thinking about that, perhaps the best taquería I've been to is (or was) located near the US Embassy in a nice Mexico City neighborhood that I guess has a lot of affluent professional people. I dunno how much difference that demographic makes. I could think of examples involving other kinds of food, but I'll stop.

I've certainly had bad food, for instance in touristy parts of places like San Miguel de Allende. Also, great food. But, it does seem to help to have locals to guide one.

I guess I got spoiled early, since I visited such places in the 80s and 90s. I apologize to all the people who want to tout their city or state, but I haven't found many places here that reach that level of goodness. I do read here from Californians that want to crow about how good their Mexican food is. I travel there often and I'm open to being convinced, but from what I've tried out there, I'm not super-convinced either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
You brought up one thing I've always wondered about: why do we (in Texas) have so many mediocre taquerías compared to Mexico, when the main clientele in both places seem to be working-class people? Or am I missing something? Do working-class immigrants here settle for less or is it just because they didn't experience the best in their home country?

In thinking about that, perhaps the best taquería I've been to is (or was) located near the US Embassy in a nice Mexico City neighborhood that I guess has a lot of affluent professional people. I dunno how much difference that demographic makes. I could think of examples involving other kinds of food, but I'll stop.

I've certainly had bad food, for instance in touristy parts of places like San Miguel de Allende. Also, great food. But, it does seem to help to have locals to guide one.

I guess I got spoiled early, since I visited such places in the 80s and 90s. I apologize to all the people who want to tout their city or state, but I haven't found many places here that reach that level of goodness. I do read here from Californians that want to crow about how good their Mexican food is. I travel there often and I'm open to being convinced, but from what I've tried out there, I'm not super-convinced either.
For one, in Mexico City, Taquerías aren't just for blue collar folks, and there is a wide range of levels. In the early 2000s I remember some places had 1 peso tacos. The decent places were more like 5 pesos or more. IMO, there's a noticeable difference between taquerías in provincial Mexico (anywhere outside of DF) and in the Distrito itself. Even in Oaxaca, we never found tacos al pastor that we loved, it was more of a DF thing. That may have changed in the past 15 years, but I suspect it's mostly true. Folks from Provincia will argue with that, but any chilango worth his/her salt will know that it's true.

I think the Mexican food here in TX reflects the cuisine of the majority of folks that feel the need to flee their homeland in search of a better life. It's country peasant food; simple, straightforward and often hearty fare. It's quite different from what you'll find in the nicer places in the interior of Mexico.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
[quote=Campeador;52947306]For one, in Mexico City, Taquerías aren't just for blue collar folks, and there is a wide range of levels. In the early 2000s I remember some places had 1 peso tacos. The decent places were more like 5 pesos or more. IMO, there's a noticeable difference between taquerías in provincial Mexico (anywhere outside of DF) and in the Distrito itself. Even in Oaxaca, we never found tacos al pastor that we loved, it was more of a DF thing. That may have changed in the past 15 years, but I suspect it's mostly true. Folks from Provincia will argue with that, but any chilango worth his/her salt will know that it's true.

I think the Mexican food here in TX reflects the cuisine of the majority of folks that feel the need to flee their homeland in search of a better life. It's country peasant food; simple, straightforward and often hearty fare. It's quite different from what you'll find in the nicer places in the interior of Mexico.[/
QUOTE]

If you or your wife are ever in Houston, I recommend a visit to Xochi, an upscale Oaxacan-style restaurant. The same owner also operates Hugo's, another upscale and inventive place that has a wider variety of regional Mexican dishes, including a tasty chapulines-accented dish.

Then let us know what y'all think...

Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
[quote=mingna;52950490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
For one, in Mexico City, Taquerías aren't just for blue collar folks, and there is a wide range of levels. In the early 2000s I remember some places had 1 peso tacos. The decent places were more like 5 pesos or more. IMO, there's a noticeable difference between taquerías in provincial Mexico (anywhere outside of DF) and in the Distrito itself. Even in Oaxaca, we never found tacos al pastor that we loved, it was more of a DF thing. That may have changed in the past 15 years, but I suspect it's mostly true. Folks from Provincia will argue with that, but any chilango worth his/her salt will know that it's true.

I think the Mexican food here in TX reflects the cuisine of the majority of folks that feel the need to flee their homeland in search of a better life. It's country peasant food; simple, straightforward and often hearty fare. It's quite different from what you'll find in the nicer places in the interior of Mexico.[/
QUOTE]

If you or your wife are ever in Houston, I recommend a visit to Xochi, an upscale Oaxacan-style restaurant. The same owner also operates Hugo's, another upscale and inventive place that has a wider variety of regional Mexican dishes, including a tasty chapulines-accented dish.

Then let us know what y'all think...
Will do, thanks for the tip!

Fonda San Miguel in Austin is fantastic, BTW. Not only is the food really good and faithful to interior Mexican cuisine, but the overall ambiance nails it too.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:22 PM

502 posts, read 391,453 times
Does anyone know of any good authentic Mexican restaurants in San Antonio?

Old 08-30-2018, 02:08 PM

Paloma Blanca is one SA place you could consider. I haven't been there enough to compare it to Fonda San Miguel in Austin, but it's nice. I've been disappointed in many other places in SA that are hyped. In Houston (where I live) I tend to like Pico's, Las Alamedas, and Merida. I also go often to La Tapatia, but I don't consider the food to be exemplary (but, it's cheap and my friends like the food there). Los Cucos is another place like that, and I think the carnitas there are not bad (although there are grocery stores here that sell much better cooked carnitas). I don't think they are in Austin or SA, but they are in Seguin, New Braunfels, and Waco.

A lot of people have different tastes that me, and I respect that. But, these are some that I enjoy.

As an aside, I get turned off by places in which I see roaches crawling up the walls of the dining room. That includes Hugo's and Chuy's (the oldest Houston location). I've been to Xochi and Caracol (both associated with Hugo Ortega) and enjoyed them a lot, plus didn't see roaches.

None of the ones I mentioned portray themselves as being Tex-Mex, but can I enjoy that genre also, when it's well-executed. Yellow-cheese enchiladas with chili gravy can be delicious, even though I've never seen them in Mexico.

Last edited by madrone2k; 08-30-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 07:02 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Does anyone know of any good authentic Mexican restaurants in San Antonio?
I live on the South Side by lots of blue collar Mexican joints. I make no claim to knowing what’s authentic or not but my favorite is Taqueria Nuevo Vallarta at Roosevelt and Military.

My favorite Mexican restaurant overall is the Mexico Steak House in Bridgeport on the South Side of Chicago, you know that joint? I’ve seen you post on the Chitown forum.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:54 PM

502 posts, read 391,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I live on the South Side by lots of blue collar Mexican joints. I make no claim to knowing what’s authentic or not but my favorite is Taqueria Nuevo Vallarta at Roosevelt and Military.

My favorite Mexican restaurant overall is the Mexico Steak House in Bridgeport on the South Side of Chicago, you know that joint? I’ve seen you post on the Chitown forum.
Yes I know what you mean, I stay on the West side and there on tons of Mexican spots but most of them seem to have the same types of food. I was wondering if anyone knew of one that was more interior Mexican food.

My favorite Mexican places are las islas Marías and El DF off culebra rd.

Ive never been to Chicago but when I go I'll checc it out.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 PM

I've heard talk of Chicago having some good Mexican food, on the "authentic" side. It's a bit surprising, and I haven't tried it there yet.

I'll repeat something I said before, everyone is entitled to like the things they like. Be it fajitas/arracheras, enchiladas of various kinds, sopes, moles, quesadillas. There are are also a lot of dishes that might fall more in the category of fancy cuisine (I guess moles could be in that category also).

We've already touched on the idea that not everybody from Mexico has the same tastes. I would say, though it's not a rule, that many affluent Mexicans who come here -- or even have 2nd homes here -- never eat at any of the places we've discussed, whether humble of fancy. My neighbors are like that ... they don't come to the US expecting authentic Mexican food. They eat out, but they don't go to places that are labeled Tex-Mex or Interior Mexican or anything like that.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I've heard talk of Chicago having some good Mexican food, on the "authentic" side. It's a bit surprising, and I haven't tried it there yet.
Lots of Mexicans in Chicago, lots. There are now more taco stands in the city than hot dog and Italian beef stands. What might surprise you is hearing Mexicans talking with a Chicago “da Bears” accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas