Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 416 times

Advertisements

I have never lived on my own in a home where I was able to park my car in the garage, so I was pretty excited to have a garage to park my car in, opening and closing with a remote. Well two months after I moved, the garage door snapped off the part that pulled it up and down due to what appeared to be quite a bit of cheap repairs to the garage door so I wasn’t surprised when it did snap off. My landlord gave the runaround for 6months, so I paid full rent, $1700 a month for a home that wasn’t in the condition I agreed to when signing the lease agreement. I could not park my car in the garage from January 25, 2018-June 28, 2018. Then my fear happened, it hailed, only a few minutes but since I did not have a garage to park my car in, my car has a substantial amount of hail damage. This is to be my sons first car within the next year also. I told her my car received damage 3 times, but every time she ignored the comment and never said a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 04:19 PM

738 posts, read 765,002 times
I mean your idea sounds reasonable, but it's in one of those quandary spaces.

A diligent landlord who would pay the deductible would have fixed the garage faster and never had to pay it. If for instance it had hailed in the few days between you calling and the door getting fixed I think we'd all agree thats dumb bad luck and what you have insurance for.

A landlord that took six months to fix a garage door(an appliance that has it's very own dedicated service companies that just take care of garage door issues) seems like a pretty unlikely candidate to up and decide they were wrong and write you a check for this.

As a landlord I rarely say this but you should probably consider deducting your deductible from the rent. Spend 30 minutes talking to a lawyer about how to do this with proper noticing as I don't know specifically how it works on residential.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,572 times
So you couldn't open the garage door at all? Not even manually without the remote? I think you have grounds to ask for some kind of compensation. It would be like being unable to enter one of your bedrooms.

ETA: I have no legal background, but I'm a landlord and this seems negligent to me. I would feel responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas