Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 34,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am a single, African-American, twenty-four year old mother of a two year old child currently living in a city that is slowly but surely driving me out of the cost of living bracket. I am two months from finishing my education in the medical field at a trade/professional school and have some money saved towards the purchase of a new home. With the average cost of a home in my area being approximately $750,000 (on the low end), I have been informed that Texas is an excellent area for first time home buyers. Unfortunately, thats all I know about Texas. Im looking for SAFETY above all else, and an excellent school district for my daughter. Can anyone recommend an area where homes are around $140,000 and below, and where I won't have to be too concerned with racism and violence?
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Move to Houston, work in the medical center, live in Pearland or Sugarland areas. Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
You might look at Richardson, TX at the homes either around Richardson High School and the Arapaho Classical magnet elementary school or around Greenwood Hills elementary or North Jr High - they ultimately feed into JJ Pearce High School.

Richardson is an inner ring suburb north of Dallas. These homes in these two areas were built in the 1970s.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM

94 posts, read 428,390 times
hello kaylsmills. i dont live in Texas but i have researched it like there is no tomorrow because i am going to relocate and like you i heard good things about texas. first off Texas is HUGE! so you will need to really look and narrow it down to a small area.
you could start by going to realtor.com, pick one big city at a time (san antonio,houston,austin,dallas,abeline,etc) then there is an option to add surrounding areas within a certain mile radius. click on that and hit select all. put in your price range, the amount of bedrooms your looking for. once you find a few homes, just print or write down the address and town,etc and research it. the internet is indeed the information highway, so you can find out tons of info and just narrow it down to a few areas and then finally just visit and see it in person to make sure that is exactly what your looking for.
hope this helped a little! good luck

Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
I would look into anything in the North Dallas suburbs as well. Lewisville ISD is a good district. These would include the cities of Lewisville and The Colony. You would do well as far as your home cost being 140,000.00. Especially in The Colony.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
NW Austin. In the towns of N. Austin, Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock & Georgetown.

They all offers homes in the 100K -150K that you are wanting to spend.

The reason why I say NW Austin, is because off of hwy1431 they have opened up 3 hospitals on that road alone, which goes from Round Rock into Cedar Park and I notice you said your in the healthcare field.

Cheers and welcome.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 34,084 times
Everyone's advice has been a HUGE help!
Thank you!
Looking forward to my move.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 AM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Suggestion as a recent "transplant". Check out your employment opportunities first, then school for your child then housing. You need to research income first, education for your child and then find a home (a home is probably the easiest part in my opinion).

Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 29,423 times
Default Another single mother

Did you move?
I would be interested in talking with another single mother.
I am thinking of making the move alone, with my 6 year old, to Texas too.
Please get a hold of me if you can!
I hope everything is going awesome for you!

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Houston is the most diverse city in Texas. You will love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas