Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,802,937 times

Advertisements

Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX is the place to stop as you are nearing Big Bend. ( The Gage Hotel - Big Bend National Park - West Texas ) You can even stay there and drive into the park (or to other places like Alpine, Marfa, Terlingua)... but it is absolutely the most awesome hotel in W Texas.

It sounds like you'll be taking I 10 all the way from Houston-Big Bend, with a small detour to Bandera. If you go that way, just take I 10 all the way to Ft Stockton then take 385 S to Marathon. As mentioned by other posters, remember that services are few and far between as you venture west of San Antonio -- be sure to gas up and get water, use the bathroom, etc whenever possible.

On the way back, you should detour off I 10 and take 290 E to Fredricksburg, Austin, etc and see another part of the beautiful hill country. Then you can take I 35 S in Austin to get back to I 10, or take 71 East out of Austin till it hooks up with I 10. Or take I 35 N from Austin to check out Ft Worth / Dallas / parts further north.

have a great trip! take some pics and post them up when you get back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM

52 posts, read 138,810 times
Thks for your recommendation about gas...I have to realize that your state is one time and half bigger than my country...and the distance are so too.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM

16,555 posts, read 17,327,339 times
I remember having a blow out- tyre burst- at 70mph, 40 miles out of Fort Stockton.

Cell phones do not work out there!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I remember having a blow out- tyre burst- at 70mph, 40 miles out of Fort Stockton.

Cell phones do not work out there!
Some do. I had coverage (Alltel) all the way from Austin to El Paso/Alamogordo, NM, except for one dead spot at the border checkpoint outside of Sierra Blanca.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 PM

360 posts, read 1,083,641 times
Driving on I-10 once you get out of the Hill Country leaves alot to be desired. I'd recommend for some of the best of Texas take I-10 thru San Antonio and go north on 87 to Fredericksburg. From there south on 16 thru Kerrville to Bandera. West on 470 to Utopia. West on 1050 to U.S. 83. South on 83 to Uvalde, stopping at Concan State Park. From Uvalde west on 90 thru Del Rio, stop at Langtry, on to Marathon. The Gage Hotel is great! South to Big Bend, then on to the funky charm of Terlingua, Study Butte. West on possibly the most scenic road in Texas, F.M. 170. You can cross into Mexico from Presidio. Google Ojinaga for restaurant info. Up 67 to Marfa, east on 90 to Alpine, north on 118 to Ft. Davis, then on 17 to I-10, or continue up 118 to McDonald Observatory and Davis Mountains State Park then I-10. From there back to Houston with a nice dose of Hill Country. As much as that sounds it can be easily covered in a week. I'd continue west to El Paso, up thru Las Cruces to Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, east to Roswell, down to Carlsbad Caverns, then back to I-10. I've done this trip a couple of times, starting from San Antonio. Best roadtrip bar none!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Driving on I-10 once you get out of the Hill Country leaves alot to be desired. I'd recommend for some of the best of Texas take I-10 thru San Antonio and go north on 87 to Fredericksburg. From there south on 16 thru Kerrville to Bandera. West on 470 to Utopia. West on 1050 to U.S. 83. South on 83 to Uvalde, stopping at Concan State Park. From Uvalde west on 90 thru Del Rio, stop at Langtry, on to Marathon. The Gage Hotel is great! South to Big Bend, then on to the funky charm of Terlingua, Study Butte. West on possibly the most scenic road in Texas, F.M. 170. You can cross into Mexico from Presidio. Google Ojinaga for restaurant info. Up 67 to Marfa, east on 90 to Alpine, north on 118 to Ft. Davis, then on 17 to I-10, or continue up 118 to McDonald Observatory and Davis Mountains State Park then I-10. From there back to Houston with a nice dose of Hill Country. As much as that sounds it can be easily covered in a week. I'd continue west to El Paso, up thru Las Cruces to Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, east to Roswell, down to Carlsbad Caverns, then back to I-10. I've done this trip a couple of times, starting from San Antonio. Best roadtrip bar none!
That's sound good to me...

Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,133,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
That's sound good to me...
If you get in the Terlingua/Study Butte area, there was a time that you could catch row boats at the Rio Grande and go into Mexico without going through border check points in Presidio. Can't remember the name of the two little towns in Mexico, but they are really interesting--kind of third world cities. Food and tourist goods are cheap. I haven't done the crossing since 9/11, so it may not be so easy now.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicSpr33 View Post
Roflol, I drive 80mph on I-127 (MI), like all the time, and people pass me.

Definately stop in New Braunfels and go to the Shlit...Schlit...I dunno, the Shliterbuan? However you spell it. Most amazing water park ever.
Sssshhhh! Don't anyone tell him that the place is called Schlitterbahn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
If you get in the Terlingua/Study Butte area, there was a time that you could catch row boats at the Rio Grande and go into Mexico without going through border check points in Presidio. Can't remember the name of the two little towns in Mexico, but they are really interesting--kind of third world cities. Food and tourist goods are cheap. I haven't done the crossing since 9/11, so it may not be so easy now.
Those two towns are called Ojinaga and Progreso. Just so you know.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 AM

DépartArrivéemileskmmardi08-avrNancyLuxembourg120mercredi09-avrLuxembourgFrankfortHouston8600jeudi10-avrHoustonSeguin154248vendredi11-avrSeguinFredericksburg77124samedi12-avrFredericksburgBanderaUlvalde90146dimanche13-avrUlvaldeDel RioLangtry198177lundi14-avrLangtryMarathon88142mardi15-avrMarathonMarathonmercredi16-avrMarathonTerlingua5996jeudi17-avrTerlinguaAlpinevendredi18-avrAlpine Fort DavisFort Stocktonsamedi19-avrFort Stocktondimanche20-avrlundi21-avrmardi22-avrmercredi23-avrHoustonjeudi24-avrFrankfortLuxembourg

This is the trip I made based on your advices.

To Vantexan: I start from Houston and I have to drive back to this theBush Int'l Airport at least the 23rd of April.

To James Abilene et Case 44: That is a good idea to cross the border without the rent car: the assurance is only for a drive arund the US and perhaps Canada but not Mexico.

I'm going to check this new way.

Thanks to all of you anyway !

Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 AM

Ohhhh ! I am so sorry. I made a copy of my Exel sheet and the copy left the frame, thous my trip is not easyly readable !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas