U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM

49 posts, read 25,267 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 04:50 PM

562 posts, read 371,475 times
It's an interesting map that for the most part highlights how bad state level transportation planning and funding priorities have been for the last few decades. I'd point out though that interstates are supposed to be just that, inter state highways. I-69 for instance goes from three points on the Mexican border all the way to Canada. Even then funding has stalled and the work getting done on it is mainly trying to do enough of the low hanging fruit to try and guilt Congress into restart funding it and getting it done. I worked on the Corpus section of it and it literally was almost already interstate grade before the work started.

The flaw the map points out is that because damn near all the money has gone to sprawl inducing commuter highways in Dallas and Houston the actual intercity state system is a mess. The routes you pick are for the most part logical. You suggest interstates when most of them really just need to be upgraded to real state highways like 59 is between Victoria and Houston. In other words they need to put some money into making these all two lane each way, preferably divided, with either bypasses or highway grade transit through smaller cities and towns. Frankly Central and East Texas are the worst on this front. You'll have an almost interstate grade four lane highway out in the country and it comes to a town of 500 people and slams down to 35 mph main street for three traffic lights. It's dangerous as hell.

I'm not saying it's not better than it was. Most of those rural highways have been widened and shoulders added the last few decades making them much safer. However the inability to bite the bullet and build a bypass means a bunch of these roads just don't function as well as they could and dump a lot of traffic on the interstate system that doesn't need to be there. For instance there isn't a good way to get from the Valley or Corpus to Dallas without going straight through either Austin/San Antonio or Houston. Traffic is so bad on 35 59/45 is actually an equivalent time trip from Corpus to Dallas. I tried 77 once from Waco to Victoria because it's a straight shot, took an hour longer and my nerves were shot after the trip because of all the small towns it runs through the center of.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM

10,226 posts, read 10,561,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
It's an interesting map that for the most part highlights how bad state level transportation planning and funding priorities have been for the last few decades. I'd point out though that interstates are supposed to be just that, inter state highways. I-69 for instance goes from three points on the Mexican border all the way to Canada. Even then funding has stalled and the work getting done on it is mainly trying to do enough of the low hanging fruit to try and guilt Congress into restart funding it and getting it done. I worked on the Corpus section of it and it literally was almost already interstate grade before the work started.

The flaw the map points out is that because damn near all the money has gone to sprawl inducing commuter highways in Dallas and Houston the actual intercity state system is a mess. The routes you pick are for the most part logical. You suggest interstates when most of them really just need to be upgraded to real state highways like 59 is between Victoria and Houston. In other words they need to put some money into making these all two lane each way, preferably divided, with either bypasses or highway grade transit through smaller cities and towns. Frankly Central and East Texas are the worst on this front. You'll have an almost interstate grade four lane highway out in the country and it comes to a town of 500 people and slams down to 35 mph main street for three traffic lights. It's dangerous as hell.

I'm not saying it's not better than it was. Most of those rural highways have been widened and shoulders added the last few decades making them much safer. However the inability to bite the bullet and build a bypass means a bunch of these roads just don't function as well as they could and dump a lot of traffic on the interstate system that doesn't need to be there. For instance there isn't a good way to get from the Valley or Corpus to Dallas without going straight through either Austin/San Antonio or Houston. Traffic is so bad on 35 59/45 is actually an equivalent time trip from Corpus to Dallas. I tried 77 once from Waco to Victoria because it's a straight shot, took an hour longer and my nerves were shot after the trip because of all the small towns it runs through the center of.
1. SH-130 goes around Austin. It's a miracle.

2. I've lived in Dallas and or Houston most of my adult life, Dallas now. The idea that roads in either place induce sprawl is somewhat backwards. The good roads are built well after sprawl has commenced. 380 north of Dallas from McKinney to Denton was/is a little country highway that should have been made into a full blown freeway with improved access roads years ago it is in the planning stages now.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 PM

3,297 posts, read 4,684,238 times
This is how the interstate map should look in Texas.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM

yeah i got this from some google images search results when i typed in ''Future Interstate in Texas''

Old 10-09-2018, 08:57 AM

10,323 posts, read 21,978,901 times
I-27 will be very interesting if it is ever built. The parts of Texas that it would connect are quite remote. San Angelo has long prided itself in being the "largest city in Texas not on an interstate highway." I would imagine the traffic on that highway will be mostly tractor trailers.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:25 AM

2,264 posts, read 4,556,237 times
I'm here is SE Texas. According to the map US 69 (not to be confused with I-69) is a red line denoting divided highway which it's not. The ROW is there for the divided highway and has been for 15 years. Right now this extremely busy highway out of Beaumont after it's division from US 96 (north towards Lufkin) is 2 lane for a 20 mile bottleneck going through Lumberton and Kountze ... a total 7 traffic signals in Lumberton (45mph limit) and super-heavy local traffic for 5 miles through Lumberton. Then the state finished, north of Lumberton an 8 mile 2 lane with a 20' wide turning lane in the middle, which nobody uses, at 60-65mph and no-passing for 8 miles ... get behind maw maw or paw paw driving 45 or 50 and things get dangerous with rampant illegal passing then you come to Kountze. It's 3 miles of controlled speed limits down to 30mph and 4 traffic lights and aggressive speed enforcement.

I drive this 14 days a month to work in Beaumont (50 miles) and have been waiting on the by-pass around these podunk towns since the early 2000's (been planned that long). I retire in 2 years so I'll not see this bear any fruition. Not to mention this is one of 2 hurricane evacuation routes out of industrialized SE Texas. In Rita evac times ranged from 24 to 30 hours and autos broke down, caught on fire, and folks died.

Funding is one thing but engineering design sucks on existing thoroughfares. The local engineering group seem to have no clues.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM

whiling there's some things i would've preferred like, a I-44 extension to Lubbock and El Paso (like some suggested in a different thread), and I-45 mainly going to Big Cabin and then merge with I-44 and then follow U.S. 69 to Kansas City whiling the one to Tulsa from McAlester or Atoka would be I-X45 or even I-47 and I-18, I-6 (east), I-514 and I-469 being just spur 4-lane highways (as someone said), i'm also fine with I-27, I-34, I-14, I-2, I-45 (tho like i said, could've connect both Tulsa and Kansas City) and I-6 (but only between Houston, Austin and wherever U.S. 290 ends)

Last edited by HungryBox2001; 10-11-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 AM

5,250 posts, read 2,997,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

2. I've lived in Dallas and or Houston most of my adult life, Dallas now. The idea that roads in either place induce sprawl is somewhat backwards. The good roads are built well after sprawl has commenced. 380 north of Dallas from McKinney to Denton was/is a little country highway that should have been made into a full blown freeway with improved access roads years ago it is in the planning stages now.

Agree on Point 1. I don't think 380 north of Dallas should expand. I think there needs to be some sort of cap on development out there. That area should still be rural. I'm not liking suburban sprawl heading northward in DFW.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:32 AM

3,675 posts, read 1,928,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

1) great idea, thats how it should have been forever ago, It's almost as if encouraging through traffic through a busy central city area is a bad idea....

2) Bad idea. That freeway will offer very diminished returns, be expensive to build and accomplish very little. DFW could easily accompany a few more million people without needing to add another freeway. It will induce further sprawl and leave lots of roads half used. However, I'm willing to trade you tearing down 345 for building 380.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or