U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 AM

20 posts, read 72,725 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me some of the nice small towns in Texas?

We are moving and Texas is on our list, but we want a small town with lots of outdoor activities and an active mentality. Within 2 hours to an international airport, safe, and away from tornados. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2006, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 15,600 times
Some good small towns would be anywhere South to SouthEast of Amarillo, TX.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 43,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob

We are moving and Texas is on our list, but we want a small town with lots of outdoor activities and an active mentality. Within 2 hours to an international airport, safe, and away from tornados. Any thoughts???
Why not try the geographical center of Texas, Brownwood, Texas, 76801....slower life, nice folks and low cost of living, 164 miles West of Ft Worth, 65 miles South of Abilene, Texas,...130 miles from Austin, Texas, ..180 miles from San Antonio....lots of wild life and fishhing....check out http://www.lakebrownwood.com....local (broken link) lake info etc., I have lived here for 13 years, from dallas area and love it. It's a slower pace in life also.

Jack

Old 05-07-2006, 04:50 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,893,412 times
What about East or Central Texas? Brenham comes off the top of my head. That is small but has a nice little college and the Creamery is right there. Eat all you can and then save the rest. Very Historic area.

I was also thinking about north of San Antonio like San Marcos and New Braunsfel. Those are great areas and have lots to do there. Oh Boerne is very interesting as well. Also thinking, Fredrickburg.... that has alot of bed and breakfast places to stay at and lots of antique shops.

East Texas, Tyler , Forney is nice as well as Longview. Maybe Whitehouse and Athens too.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 43,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer
What about East or Central Texas? Brenham comes off the top of my head. That is small but has a nice little college and the Creamery is right there. Eat all you can and then save the rest. Very Historic area.

I was also thinking about north of San Antonio like San Marcos and New Braunsfel. Those are great areas and have lots to do there. Oh Boerne is very interesting as well. Also thinking, Fredrickburg.... that has alot of bed and breakfast places to stay at and lots of antique shops.

East Texas, Tyler , Forney is nice as well as Longview. Maybe Whitehouse and Athens too.
All good places mentioned here, depends on how busy an area you want.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 60,201 times
Well, for the weather, and for a good small town I would try Sulphur Springs. Less likely for the tornadic activity, we are just east of the dry line and the 'tornado alley', though we have had some hail in recent years. 14,000 people approximately. Median home price is around $70,000, although a good home for that price is getting harder to find. More likely $100,000 - 125,000 range for a good quality home built in recent years. There are homes here ranging from just around $20,000 to $12,000,000. We are about 80 miles east of Dallas, a good 1 1/2 hour drive to DFW airport. What type of activities interest you? we are surrounded by lakes. We have nice parks with walking trails. Visit www.sulphurspringstx.org

Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,672,512 times
WOW! Lotsa choices........what type of geographical area you want?

Forests? Desert? Coastal? High plains? Rocky hills with scrub brush (CenTex)

How small? 3,000? 10,000? 20,000?(if you're from L.A. you'd consider this small).

Give us something to work with and we'll give you some suggestions!

Have a good one!!!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 127,330 times
Willis, Montgomery and Livingston might be worth looking at for a small town. Willis is about 9 miles outside of Conroe and Montgomery isn't much further than that. Livingston is getting very popular with those who enjoy outdoor activities. I think all of these are within 2 hours of George W. Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). Willis and Montgomery still have decent homes under $100,000. I've heard nothing but good about the Willis and Montgomery schools too. As BobTex said above, let us know what you want, and we'll try to help. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:41 PM

21 posts, read 123,442 times
May I suggest Crane, Texas? About 4,000 people; wonderful schools, reasonable real estate....40 minutes from international airport; 30 minutes from metropolitan shopping...cool nights....and bearable days....(with a little use of electricity)....moderate winters...day trip to Big Bend area or Davis Mountains....historical Butterfield Trail south of town.....benefitting from the present run up in oil prices.... ringed on the south by mesas, ranching country......low crime rate......good supermarket, two dollar stores, restaurants, many churches........

caprockvista

Old 05-28-2006, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 15,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob

You might think of Eagle Pass texas. There is plenty of recreational activities for kids, we haven't had any tornados, a hour away from Del Rio and 2 1/2 from san antonio which have airports. It also have a community lake, plaza, plenty of parks, cine mark, resturants, a public swimming pool, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas