Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 04:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 6,348,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well, youre literally the only person on this forum Ive ever heard say that Houston has better upscale shopping than Dallas.
And this is the reason why I’ve made the theory that I stated above about how the older generation which is most of city data having this idea versus the younger generation that isn’t on city data or influenced by it. Despite Houston Leading Dallas at attracting large upscale tenants, the older generation and city data stays with old way ideologies. Which is my theory.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,919 times
I'm not a big luxury shopper, and honestly I don't care which city has "Better" high end shopping. I consider the mall in Boulder to be the pinnacle of shopping, they have Patagonia, REI, and Northface in addition to a bunch of other similar places within a couple blocks lol.

That said, I'm under the impression Dallas is the bigger luxury shopping city of the two, and I'm not part of the older generation by any means. Lots of Dallas residents seem to care about brand names, and Dallas is quite frankly the "Smarter Dressed" city of the two.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:40 PM

9,726 posts, read 6,348,089 times
[quote=RCd123;53591343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I have read the updated list plenty of times and that only proves my point. While Dallas has some boutiques Houston misses, look at the ones they are. Outside of Alexander McQueen, they aren’t of near the caliber of boutiques that Houston has that Dallas misses. They aren’t Rolex, they aren’t Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Breitling, etc. What BIG name luxury boutique Has presence in Dallas that doesn’t in Houston. Alexander McQueen and that’s it. Which goes back my point. The fact Dallas lacks these stores found in Houston makes me see it doesn’t lead Houston in shopping. It’s not really behind by a long shot but it’s not ahead from my eyes. And I have already stated my theory on the youth vs older gen mentality.

As for you Dallas proper being half the population of Houston, this doesn’t say a lot. Dallas is the center of DFW who’s population is about the same as Greater Houston and even a bit larger.

As for your living in both cities, I don’t know when you lived in both cities, but as you see things are constantly changing and improving, this doesn’t say much unless you’re constantly going to both cities and see

The Rolex Headquarters in Dallas is Designed by Kengo Kuma - HI

Wrong
Rolex headquarters is not a store.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:31 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,237,618 times
Quote:
And this is the reason why I’ve made the theory that I stated above about how the older generation which is most of city data having this idea versus the younger generation that isn’t on city data or influenced by it. Despite Houston Leading Dallas at attracting large upscale tenants, the older generation and city data stays with old way ideologies. Which is my theory.
Perhaps you should ask the question on Reddit.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 AM

132 posts, read 93,948 times
Lmao. This post is a subtle jab at Houstonians. DALLAS PEOPLE TALK MAD CRAP ABOUT HOUSTON BUT THEY HIDE IT. Don't kid yourself.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM

132 posts, read 93,948 times
Stop with the B.S. Dallas doesn't talk mad crap about HOUSTON it's not true. They talk trash. Then love to act the victim. STOP.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,482 times
Quote:
Luxury shopping is luxury shopping regardless of how huge the parent company may be. Some may argue that it might even be more important to have small boutiques, since you can buy from many large companies, such as Prada you mentioned, on line. It may not be preferable but it seems better than not have any access at all within the metro.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:44 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,314,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Lmao. This post is a subtle jab at Houstonians. DALLAS PEOPLE TALK MAD CRAP ABOUT HOUSTON BUT THEY HIDE IT. Don't kid yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Stop with the B.S. Dallas doesn't talk mad crap about HOUSTON it's not true. They talk trash. Then love to act the victim. STOP.
Honest question...do you know how to read?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:29 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,405,008 times
I'm a native Houstonian and I like both cities. I grew up reading about the perceived rivalry between the two, but I wonder if it has evolved.

Not long ago, I was sitting in a bar and overheard two guys talking. One told the other something like: "people in Houston think a lot about the rivalry with Dallas, but people in Dallas don't think about it and don't care". I guess the implication of that is that Dallas is now so far ahead of Houston, they don't consider it a significant rival anymore.

My stance is that I think there's a certain fraction of the population (in whatever city) that invests a lot of emotion in such perceived rivalries. That's fine, but I think that what's more important is that communities invest in the future quality of life in their locales.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,314,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I'm a native Houstonian and I like both cities. I grew up reading about the perceived rivalry between the two, but I wonder if it has evolved.

Not long ago, I was sitting in a bar and overheard two guys talking. One told the other something like: "people in Houston think a lot about the rivalry with Dallas, but people in Dallas don't think about it and don't care". I guess the implication of that is that Dallas is now so far ahead of Houston, they don't consider it a significant rival anymore.

My stance is that I think there's a certain fraction of the population (in whatever city) that invests a lot of emotion in such perceived rivalries. That's fine, but I think that what's more important is that communities invest in the future quality of life in their locales.
I don’t think that’s why the rivalry is more of a thing in Houston. Dallas is pretty wrapped up in itself. It’s a bit narcissistic. Houston’s personality can come off as somewhat insecure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas