Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 AM

6 posts, read 78,479 times

Advertisements

I may be moving from Beaumont to Abilene for a job and was wondering if anyone knew what was the best area to move to in Abilene? Also, does anybody know of a great daycare? I have a one year old that will have to be in day care while I am at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM

222 posts, read 720,254 times
try the south or southwest part of abilene.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:33 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Growth tends to be to the northeast, near ACU or the southwest. Either is suitable.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Like the others said above, the south/southwest and far northeastern areas in Abilene have the best housing. Generally speaking there are far more newer retail establishments/restaurants/movie theatres, etc., in the southern/southwestern part of town. There has been some new retail development on the northeast side near ACU but it's still not on the scale of what is available in the southern/southwestern part of town, if that makes a difference to you. If you buy a home you need to be aware that there are two school districts in Abilene. Abilene Independent School District and the Wyle Independent School District. AISD covers the schools in most of the city of Abilene, Wylie ISD covers the schools in far southern Abilene and the newer developed areas of Taylor County beyond the city limits of Abilene. Wylie covers the newest areas/subdivisons in the Abilene area and the homes in that school district will definitely have higher school taxes. The upside to owning a home in the Wylie district is that it is a desirable area for many people around here (Wyle ISD has exceptional schools). I don't know very much about daycare centers so maybe somone else can help you with that. I'm a native Abilenian so I'll be glad to help in any way I can, just ask me if you have any more questions about the city. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Thank you all for the help! I just got off my phone interview and it sounded good! I had been looking at some apartments in the northeast side of abilene, 'The Residence at Heritage Parks' .... good/bad??

Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
In what part of town will you job be located? Not that there's a lot of traffic or getting around would be a problem, just distance.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM

I don't really know yet!! LOL But I just found out that I got the job and start May 9th, so I'll have to find something pretty quick! The driving doesn't really bother me. I just want something nice and safe for us!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:09 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdarragh View Post
Thank you all for the help! I just got off my phone interview and it sounded good! I had been looking at some apartments in the northeast side of abilene, 'The Residence at Heritage Parks' .... good/bad??
Those are nice apartments, and one of the newer apartment complexes here. Those apartments are also very near some of the newer retail in that part of the city (a new Walmart Supercenter, a few good restaurants nearby, etc.) I have a friend who's considering moving there. That area is nice and should be safe. As noted above, those apartments are way out on the edge of town so travel time will be a little longer if you work on the south side of town. Another thing you might keep in mind is that apartments in that area are very near Abilene Christian University and not far from Hardin-Simmons University so some of the apartments in that area will have more college students in them. I think The Residence at Heritage is a bit more pricey than most apartments in that area so that may keep a lot of the noisy college students from renting there....lol.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Yea I would of liked to stay there but they did not have any openings. The job will be on N. Willis but based on what everyone has said I'm trying to stick to looking in the SW/NE.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 PM

148 posts, read 358,428 times
I live in Abilene and agree with the advice you have been given. The Residence at Heritage Park is really a beautiful complex. I have a relative who has been there ever since it opened, and she is quite happy with it. I live in that area of town, and we are pleased with the amount of shops and shopping available, but the southwest part of town has many more restaurants and shops. I would try to live in the following zip codes: 79606--probably the most sought after area of town. 79605, 79601, and 79602 have sections of great homes but also have sections with almost substandard housing. 79603 is probably the least desirable area but does have some nice sections with good homes. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas