Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
You make a good point. I've heard about the situation in Arlington and your right, public transportation has its place in urban centers and cities will have to inevitably adjust as the population density increases with a diverse society. Therefore, to the point of this post, those major urban centers will turn blue; even Tarrant county which is the only large county still voting red that will most likely tilt in the next 10 to 20 years.

I suppose I can only speak for myself and what have experienced. As a young man, I loved being in the those urban centers and fast paced life that came with living there. But now, in my early 40's with kids I realize that is not where I want to be. Crowded areas with high traffic of people and vehicles will certainly appeal to many, but for many others, they'll move to suburbs or outside town to have a slower pace of life. Things like sense of community, crime rate, school district quality and yes, like minded people will play a big role on where people decide the live. Dallas county is blue; but Collin, Denton and Tarrant continue to be red....at least for a bit longer.
I think you're just not aware of the crime that happens in the suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Texas is already very diverse socially. If you come to the big metro areas, I don't believe you will feel out of place if you lean left. Small towns may be different, but that's not where people are moving to as a general rule.

Economically, despite its imperfection in policies, the conservative politics of the state has allowed the state to prosper tremendously over the last 20 plus years.
Yep. The state hasn't elected a dem to a statewide position in a quarter century, Rs have controlled all 3 branches of govt yet it has been the envy of the USA since then. There's a correlation.

Moderates are having trouble winning. People want the illegal immigration problem fixed and other people want "free" healthcare. A purple state would be PA, and even here it has issues with bringing in jobs, bad roads, highest gas tax in the nation, etc.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 PM

218 posts, read 220,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
People talk about "coming together" "crossing the aisle" "compromising"....I just cannot see it. I want to. I can't.

Are Dems going to say "ok you can have abortion, but give us health care"
Are Reps going to say "ok you can open the borders, but give us tax cuts to the wealthy"

There are a couple of points that might...*MIGHT*....be able to be agreed upon, such as maybe banning assault weapons. I don't believe reps would ever give 100% gun control, but maybe assault weapons control/abolishment (especially if one of their babies were to be one of the murdered ones)
Maybe the Dems would give up late term abortion
Everyone actually does want work on the infrastructure, so I see that as the soonest-to-be commonality

But there just are not many

There are certain ideologies that are sacred to both sides. The "untouchables" if you will. The only way to reach compromise is to sweep those "untouchables" under the rug and never ever discuss them, and only discuss the ones that can be compromised....but then, that is not healthy either.

I don't know what the solution is.....other than me moving to northern Europe and having 5 weeks vacation and free healthcare

Interestingly, I feel the same way as you, just substitute Western Europe for Mexico and we are on the same page. On a side note, I'm one of those ultra liberal flaming gay guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas