U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 PM

233 posts, read 568,931 times

Advertisements

Hi-
Is Fort Concho/Historic San Angelo Worth the Drive from Abilene En Route to Fort Stockton??

I've been to San Angelo once (9.12.04) as an undergrad at TX TECH (Class of May 2005 B.S. Human Dev. & Fam. Studies). My more-directional roomate who took me to San Angelo does not care about historic stuff so we missed Fort Concho/Historic San Angelo.

I've never been to Fort Stockton. I've only been near there en route to The West of the Pecos Museum in Pecos FBI — Federal Bureau of Investigation Homepage 1.28.06 IMHO, Texas' Best Museum!!

Thanks,
fallguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 AM

36,773 posts, read 19,920,375 times
Well, fallguy, if you're going to Fort Stockton from Abilene, it's very likely you'll be taking a route to tie you with U.S. 67 (I would take U.S. 83), which would lead to San Angelo and, ultimately, I-10, which would take you to Fort Stockton. There's no rule that says you have to always take I-20 to Monahans and then drop down when there are places off the beaten path that you can see.

In other words, it's on the way. You can stop there.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 AM

14,648 posts, read 27,937,130 times
we went there
we liked it
small fort--not a big attraction like the Alamo but interesting insight into what a real frontier fort was like
did not spend any time in the town
texas monthly did an article about it some time ago--might try search in their archives
if you are going that way think it would definitely be worth a stop

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,621,129 times
We spent a few days in San Angelo a couple of years ago. We stopped at Ft.Concho for a walk-thru and ended up spending hours with the most interesting guide. It's definitely worth visiting the fort. If you have a chance, stop in at the Cactus Hotel and see one of Conrad Hilton's first hotels. It's beautiful.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:31 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,710,238 times
I agree Fort Concho is interesting. My wife and I like to go to historic downtown San Angelo also. There are some beautiful old areas worth visiting. Getting from Abilene to San Angelo can be done by going down U.S. 277 which goes through the hills (some call them mountains) between the cities and offers awesome views of the wind farms southwest of town. However, through the hills, because of curves, the speed limit is low (55 in many areas). Going down Highway 83 is quicker but not as scenic. If you have time, take Highway 277 as parts of the drive are really beautiful. There is only one town (Bronte) between the cities going that direction, so load up on drinks and gasoline when you leave the Abilene/View/Caps area.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

36,773 posts, read 19,920,375 times
Default Even Case Has A Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
.........it's very likely you'll be taking a route to tie you with U.S. 67 (I would take U.S. 83), which would lead to San Angelo and, ultimately, I-10, which would take you to Fort Stockton.
Whoops. My fault. I forgot U.S. 277. It's straight shot to San Angelo on that one highway, and then 67 to I-10 and Fort Stockton.

Face it, I'm 41, and yet, my age is showing.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,378 times
Fort Concho is very interesting and one of the best preserved forts in the country.
There are even reinactments done every so often. sanangelo.com has info on the fort and more. The barracks and furnishing are genuine for the era.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 PM

238 posts, read 492,260 times
Fort Concho is a bit overrated. I bet a lot of people don't know it even exists. But my cousin loves Lake Nasworthy, which as you know, is in San Angelo. That's for those of you that don't know where it is. He likes taking his boat out there to tear up some serious waves there. I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,716,753 times
To answer this, I guess my reply is it depends. If it was me, I wouldn't spend the 90 minute drive just to come to San Angelo to visit Fort Concho unless (as previously stated) it's on one of the Fort's event weekends. They fire the cannons and people dress up in traditional costumes. If you don't want to bustle and just an everyday visit with a tour, I would recommend combining it with other things (like a stay near Lake Nasworthy). But to be honest, I don't know if it's worth the 1-day round trip it would take to drive down. The Fort (although interesting to us living here in San Angelo) is not as large as the Alamo.

Here's a site to give you some information and a schedule of events. Welcome to Fort Concho If you come down, I hope our city gives you a nice visit!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM

14,648 posts, read 27,937,130 times
Fort Concho is totatlly something different from the Alamo--the Alamo was a mission that wound up being such an important battle site by accident
Fort Concho was one of the real outposts of civilization on the Texas frontier--and it is great to visit it when it is NOT crowded--much more peaceful and able to get some great photos--of course a reenactment weekend would be interesting...

to be honest or more complete--we stopped there on driving vacation across TX to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and up northward through Santa Fe to Denver to visit friends--we did not go there JUST for the fort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas