U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,690,399 times
Reputation: 75971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I'm a native Texan who's never seen or heard of a cowboy church. No idea what those are about. All I know is the Baptist churches I grew up attending here are the same ones I've attended in GA, LA, SC, etc

The thing about the deep south is I don't think it includes the entirety of any state, so of course it wouldn't include all of Texas. However I don't see how southeast TX at the very least wouldn't be included. If Beaumont ain't the Deep South then nothing is.
OK clearly this is just your opinion vs mine.

But I can't believe you're a native Texan and have never seen or heard of a Cowboy Church. Maybe they just don't register with you because you're so used to them or something, I don't know. Here are some lists of such churches in Texas:
TEXAS - CowboyChurch.Net
https://americanfcc.org/cowboy-church-locations/

Quote:
In Texas, the epicenter of the movement, the Baptist General Convention claims that 40,000 people attend cowboy churches weekly. And that’s just the Baptists.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...hes-come-from/

Interesting article:
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...-in-the-world/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-26-2018, 02:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,528,629 times
Reputation: 10215
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
What is at stake for people who, in spite of all the topographical, cultural and demographic evidence, keep insisting that Texas is southern?
I figure they don’t like Catholics in general and Mexicans in particular.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,690,399 times
Reputation: 75971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I figure they don’t like Catholics in general and Mexicans in particular.
Do you live in Texas and if so, for how long?

I've lived here over 30 years. I simply haven't seen animosity toward either Catholics or legal immigrants from anywhere, including Mexico. I have also seen many people look the other way when it comes to whether or not a person is a legal immigrant as long as they were working, productive members of society.

I live in East Texas and I also haven't ever personally known anyone who didn't embrace the concept of Texas being a southern state. My argument is simply that Texas in general isn't a "deep South" state and those few I know who claim it is keep that notion pretty much relegated to the eastern half of the state.

Personally, being from the South (native of New Orleans, LA) and having spent the majority of my life living in the south, I love the southern US and wouldn't want to live anywhere else other than the South. But that's just me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,528,629 times
Reputation: 10215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you live in Texas and if so, for how long?

I've lived here over 30 years. I simply haven't seen animosity toward either Catholics or legal immigrants from anywhere, including Mexico.
That indicates Texas isn’t southern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,690,399 times
Reputation: 75971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That indicates Texas isn’t southern.
You didn't answer my question - do you live or have you lived in Texas and if so, how long have you/did you live in Texas?

Texas is a border state. Like other border states, it has characteristics from various regions that it shares borders with, including the Deep South, the Upper South, the Midwest, the Southwest, and the country of Mexico. So yes, Texas is a unique state with a unique vibe, but it's history and culture, especially in the eastern half of the state (where the population is highest) is definitely southern in character and vibe.

News flash - it's absolutely possible to be southern and to have no issues with Catholics or Hispanics. I know that may be hard for you to believe but it's the truth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 05:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 19,528,629 times
Reputation: 10215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You didn't answer my question - do you live or have you lived in Texas and if so, how long have you/did you live in Texas?...


News flash - it's absolutely possible to be southern and to have no issues with Catholics or Hispanics. I know that may be hard for you to believe but it's the truth.

I’ve lived in Texas two years. I lived several years in St. Augustine and several in Lexington Ky. Most of my life I lived in Chicago.

I know it’s possible to be southern and not have issues with Catholics and Mexicans; no news flash needed. But the South has more hostility towards those groups than other regions. Which is a reason I don’t consider Texas, as a whole, southern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 05:37 PM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
3,685 posts, read 1,935,769 times
Reputation: 4163
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
No, you keep missing the point. These are not minor differences. Texas is not demographically southern. Name one southern state that is 40% Latinx. Texas is demographically much more like California and New Mexico than it is like Georgia... Florida has one city, Miami, which is majority Latinx. Texas has San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, and its biggest urban conglomerations: Houston and DFW are both over a third Latinx. What southern state has anything like these numbers?

Once you are beyond the pine certain, Texas is not remotely topographically southern: more than half of it is semi -arid? What southern state comprises a large chunk of the Chihuahuan desert, high plains and arid mountains? Texas is topographically as similar to Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, and Tamaulipas, New Mexico and Kansas as it is to Georgia.

No one would deny that Texas has southern elements and influences, but its status as a majority/minority state, its history as a Spanish possession, a Mexican province and an independent republic along with its ongoing status as the U.S. state with the longest border with Mexico and the continuing movement of people, culture and goods across that border make it unique. Texas is indeed too southern to be southwestern. It is also too Mexican to be southern. What is so hard to understand about that? These two factors, along with the very strong sense of state identity that many Texans of all races exhibit make a a compelling case for why Texas should be considered its own region. Neither essentially southern, nor essentially southwestern, just Texas.

There were times in its history when Texas was more culturally southern than it is now, but cultures evolve and if anything Texas is getting less southern... What is at stake for people who, in spite of all the topographical, cultural and demographic evidence, keep insisting that Texas is southern?
Well Louisiana is the only Southern State that is * Historically *majority Catholic and that goes against the general trend of southern states being largely protestant, and historically hostile to Catholics in alot of cases.

You won't find Creole and Cajun culture up the Carolinas and yet no one doubts that Louisiana is part of the south.....

Texas is part of the South.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 05:54 PM
 
2,085 posts, read 1,748,034 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I'm a native Texan who's never seen or heard of a cowboy church. No idea what those are about. All I know is the Baptist churches I grew up attending here are the same ones I've attended in GA, LA, SC, etc

The thing about the deep south is I don't think it includes the entirety of any state, so of course it wouldn't include all of Texas. However I don't see how southeast TX at the very least wouldn't be included. If Beaumont ain't the Deep South then nothing is.
Youre 100% right...Southeast Texas, Deep East Texas and most of East Texas are definitely the Deep South. Places like Beaumont, Lumberton, Woodville, and even Conroe and Huntsville would be the Deep South if theres any such thing as the Deep South at all
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 06:38 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
54,474 posts, read 42,690,399 times
Reputation: 75971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I’ve lived in Texas two years. I lived several years in St. Augustine and several in Lexington Ky. Most of my life I lived in Chicago.

I know it’s possible to be southern and not have issues with Catholics and Mexicans; no news flash needed. But the South has more hostility towards those groups than other regions. Which is a reason I don’t consider Texas, as a whole, southern.
That hasn't been my experience.

The south is, generally speaking, the most diverse region of our nation. There are bound to be more instances of friction. But don't assume that the South is more prejudiced toward different ethnicities than other regions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,410 posts, read 5,287,988 times
Reputation: 6096
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
No, you keep missing the point. These are not minor differences. Texas is not demographically southern. Name one southern state that is 40% Latinx. Texas is demographically much more like California and New Mexico than it is like Georgia... Florida has one city, Miami, which is majority Latinx. Texas has San Antonio, Corpus Christi, El Paso, and its biggest urban conglomerations: Houston and DFW are both over a third Latinx. What southern state has anything like these numbers?

Once you are beyond the pine certain, Texas is not remotely topographically southern: more than half of it is semi -arid? What southern state comprises a large chunk of the Chihuahuan desert, high plains and arid mountains? Texas is topographically as similar to Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, and Tamaulipas, New Mexico and Kansas as it is to Georgia.

No one would deny that Texas has southern elements and influences, but its status as a majority/minority state, its history as a Spanish possession, a Mexican province and an independent republic along with its ongoing status as the U.S. state with the longest border with Mexico and the continuing movement of people, culture and goods across that border make it unique. Texas is indeed too southern to be southwestern. It is also too Mexican to be southern. What is so hard to understand about that? These two factors, along with the very strong sense of state identity that many Texans of all races exhibit make a a compelling case for why Texas should be considered its own region. Neither essentially southern, nor essentially southwestern, just Texas.

There were times in its history when Texas was more culturally southern than it is now, but cultures evolve and if anything Texas is getting less southern... What is at stake for people who, in spite of all the topographical, cultural and demographic evidence, keep insisting that Texas is southern?
"Name one southern state that is 40% Latinx."

Texas.

"Texas is demographically much more like California and New Mexico than it is like Georgia..."

But not CULTURALLY. Race does not demand cultural traits.

"Once you are beyond the pine certain, Texas is not remotely topographically southern"

Okay, so since you evidently have to be a state containing nothing but miles of flat Carolinian pine forestry, I suppose Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and a significant portion of North Carolina are not southern either. Not to mention anything of upland Alabama or Georgia, or the unique sub tropical swamplands and wide open western prairie of southern Louisiana, or the highlands of Arkansas.

Topographical/floral variety can't possibly exist in a single region! That's why the Midwest all looks exactly like Michigan from end to end, right?


"It is also too Mexican to be southern"

You keep harping on this. I lived in Baton Rouge for years, and buster, it was practically Mexico in many parts of that area too. Are you aware of the highway I-10? If you live along it, you will see Mexicans everywhere. That's called being near the national border.

By your logic, Canada's influence on northern NY, Vermont and New Hampshire should divide them from the northeast too. Or how about NYC? It's NOTHING like anything around it. Still northeastern, even though a lot of us hate the place.

If anything the south should be proud to have Texas in it, and Texans should not be ashamed to be southern. Variety is the spice of life, ye? Why so dead set on kicking it out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top