Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

As a native Georgian who has lived in Texas for 18 years of my adult life (3years in the 80s and then the last 15) I find it amusing that Texans have to distance themselves from being southern. It is just as southern as any other southern state.

Seceded to become part of the Confederacy
Slave holding state
Southern accent
Agrarian history
Sweet Tea country
Bible Belt all the way (every town has a First Baptist Church)

The biggest difference in Dallas and Atlanta is the topography. Flatter and less green. Both are booming sunbelt cities filled with transplants but are southern in their core.

Yes, there are differences. Being a border state with Mexico, the Hispanic culture has a long history in Texas. The Cowboy culture. Big Oil. But Cajun culture in Louisiana is totally unique to Louisiana and that doesn't make it any less southern. Just because a southern state has unique features the other states don't have doesn't make it any less southern. Birmingham and its topography and history in the Steel Industry make it feel more like Pittsburgh than it does Mobile in its own state.

Texans, you are as southern as the come. You just have some Mexican spice and a twist of West that other southern states don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As a native Georgian who has lived in Texas for 18 years of my adult life (3years in the 80s and then the last 15) I find it amusing that Texans have to distance themselves from being southern. It is just as southern as any other southern state.

Slave holding state
Southern accent
Agrarian history
Sweet Tea country

The biggest difference in Dallas and Atlanta is the topography. Flatter and less green. Both are booming sunbelt cities filled with transplants but are southern in their core.

Yes, there are differences. Being a border state with Mexico, the Hispanic culture has a long history in Texas. The Cowboy culture. Big Oil. But Cajun culture in Louisiana is totally unique to Louisiana and that doesn't make it any less southern. Just because a southern state has unique features the other states don't have doesn't make it any less southern. Birmingham and its topography and history in the Steel Industry make it feel more like Pittsburgh than it does Mobile in its own state.

Texans, you are as southern as the come. You just have some Mexican spice and a twist of West that other southern states don't have.
Excellently said.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Excellently said.
I forgot to add the drilled in response to say "yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am" to anyone of age or stature in the community. That's southern.

Add the use of the term Y'all.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:

Slave holding state
Southern accent
Agrarian history
Sweet Tea country

Only if you are arrogant enough to ignore all of the other influences that have as much or even more influence on what goes into making Texas, Texas. Not South, not Southwestern, not really anything but Texas.

Said as a native Texan with roots back to pre-Republic and ancestors who came here, some from, some through, the South, and some from up North and who has lived in Texas about three and a half times as long as you have.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
I forgot to add the drilled in response to say "yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am" to anyone of age or stature in the community. That's southern.
Servility to those of stature in the community. That’s southern.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Servility to those of stature in the community. That’s southern.
I would challenge this claim.

Would you mind elaborating?

Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:

Add the use of the term Y'all.
In my experience, people here of all ages say ma'am and sir to any adult, even if said adult is younger or not in a position of higher power. I'm in my young 20s, some people rarely say I look like I am in my late teens, and I have seniors and middle aged people calling me sir.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I would challenge this claim.

Would you mind elaborating?
Sure. Look at the way lower class Southerners fought in the interests of wealthy slave holding planters in the War of the Rebellion. Look at the way so many of the southern working class work against their own interests by being hostile to unions and voting Republican at the behest of the elites. Look at the compliant religiousness of so many and the social and political influence their “pastors” (businessmen who would be running used car lots were they in New Jersey) have over them.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-18-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
In my experience, people here of all ages say ma'am and sir to any adult, even if said adult is younger or not in a position of higher power. I'm in my young 20s, some people rarely say I look like I am in my late teens, and I have seniors and middle aged people calling me sir.
That’s nice. I’ve no beef with respect for people in general or for those older. I’m polite to people I don’t know and hold doors for people and such. If I insult somebody I hope it’s intentional (credit to Oscar Wilde).

Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Sure. Look at the way lower class Southerners fought in the interests of wealthy slave holding planters in the War of the Rebellion. Look at the way so many of the southern working class work against their own interests by being hostile to unions and voting Republican at the behest of the elites. Look at the compliant religiousness of so many and the social and political influence their “pastors” (businessmen who would be running used car lots were they in New Jersey) have over them.
Ah okay I see where you're coming from. At first I thought you meant the way people treat local pillars with respect and gratitude (fire chiefs, officers, etc.). Which also occurs up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas