Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 06:24 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,315,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Only if you completely ignore all of the state other than deep East Texas (and I was born and bred in East Texas, so I get where you're coming from, but while I WANTED Texas to be part of the South when I was a little girl, I grew up and faced the reality not too long after that).

The ONLY way that Texas can be said to be part of the South is if you deliberately ignore everything about it except for one little region that fits that.
I've said from the start that Texas is its own brand so to speak.

I'm not from Texas and not from "deep East Texas" and I've never even lived in "deep East Texas" and I don't care one way or the other whether or not Texas "is" the south. But it just is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 07:40 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Texas is more Western than it is Southern.

Texas is generally known as the South-West because it has a combination of Southern and Western culture.

Some people (like yourself) identify yourself as a Southerner..I don't.
I'm also not from East Texas.
I once spent a summer working in Macon, Georgia and the Deep South was a complete culture shock to me.

I find that people from Texas that identify themselves as being Southern want to lump everyone else as being like themselves.

I can tell by the tone of your super long responses to this topic that you don't like certain people from Texas identifying with Western Cities because those cities (LA, Phoenix, San Diego) tend to be seen as more prestigious than cities in the South.

The length of your posts tell me its an emotional thing with you.

Do you know why the Dallas Cowboys are so popular in those three(LA, Phoenix, San Diego) cities?
Its because a lot of people in those cities are from Texas, or are related to people from Texas (Raises hand)

People from Dallas and Los Angeles look exactly the same.
I'm pretty sure coming from DFW a cosmopolitan metropolis surrounded by sprawling burbs and freeways at the tail end of the Great Plains would experience culture shock in Macon. I've been to Macon myself and I had more familiarity with Macon than I would anywhere in West Texas, the Panhandle or South Texas.

Even though I identify myself as being southern I don't lump all of Texas in the same category. I've said from the jump Texas is made up of different regions. I wouldn't consider most of Texas west of 35 as the South. It's you who considers the entire state more Western. That's lumping

Phoenix isn't more "prestigious" than DFW/Houston or Austin. LA and San Diego are many things but prestigious isn't one word I'd use for either city. I use to live in Cali (the Bay area) and I'm very familiar with LA/Socal. They don't look at themselves generally as being comparable to Texas. Cali definitely looks at Texas as being a southern state. I never understand some Texans who feel the need to latch onto California's identity. The feelings not mutual AT ALL.

And the Cowboys are the most popular NFL team in the nation not just in those markets. And that has more to do with Cowboys being the first NFL expansion team below the mason dixon line. Because they were the first and because they had a pretty successful stretch of seasons in the 60's, they were able to capitalize in markets across the Deep South, midwest, and Westcoast. Cowboys had the broadcasting rights in those markets and it helped when they won a couple of Superbowls in the 70s and had great marketing with labeling themselves "America's Team" along with the Dallas cheerleaders, and that star.

But you'll find just as many Steeler fans and Green Bay fans in those same markets.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,336,594 times
The elephant in the room is who is most likely to consider themselves southern:

1) African Americans
2) Older White People from East Texas

Those demographics cling to the title of "Southern" much harder than other groups. There are cultural reasons for that Im sure, but since Im not in those groups I won't comment.

Im happy for Texas just to be Texas. I don't care about the title, but Im also from California. People there don't cling to titles like they do here.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Also here's another thing California and Texas Mexicans generally come from different parts of Mexico. California has a more diverse population of Mexican immigrants because of where they come from. Mexicans in Texas generally come from a different part of Mexico. Also San Antonio has a different relationship with Mexico/Spanish than cities like Dallas and Houston altogether. I think people forget how diverse the people are in Mexico.
Yes and no. The major US cities with the largest foreign born Mexican populations are:

1) LA
2) Chicago
3) Dallas
4) Houston
5) Bay Area
6) Phoenix

In each and every one of these, Mexicans tend to come from different parts of Mexico but California's Mexican population isn't really more diverse than Texas'.

LA's Mexicans overwhelmingly come from the Western states like Baja, Michoacán, Sinaloa, and Jalisco. LA also has large group from DF.

Chicago is Little Durango. It pulls mainly from there but also Guanajuato and Jalisco.

Dallas pulls from the central Mexican states like Queretaro, Guanajuato, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, and ESPECIALLY San Luis Potosi.

Houston pulls from Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, San Luis Potosi, DF, and Veracruz.

The Bay Area is little Michoacán but just like LA also pulls from the Western states.

Phoenix is basically all Sonora.

You also have smaller Mexican communities in other cities that pull from specific places. NYC pulls hard from Puebla and DF and Miami pulls hard from the Yucatan.

In the end, depending on the part of Mexico you're in would depend on the city you look to in the US. But I don't find that any one city pulls from all of Mexico.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

Also, the California Mexicans are nothing like Texas Mexicans, this is a popular joke between people in the younger generation, here is a popular video that talks about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrH_cPby2Ug

The video is basically comparing urban hipster Hispanics (giving them the name "California Mexicans") and rural Tejano Hispanics (giving them the name "Texas Hispanics"). On the contrary, California Mexicans and Texas Mexicans are not that different at all.

Now if you're comparing the Mexican community in George West to the Mexican community in San Diego, I can see where that seems accurate. But having lived in LA, Chicago, Dallas, and Houston, the Mexican communities are not much different in the way they present themselves, act, and dress. Its because in those cities the bulk of the Mexican communities are foreign born. People in those cities may be from different parts of Mexico but the differences are not that noticeable to an American.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:02 AM

12,882 posts, read 13,190,394 times
I’d challenge the California high school Mexicans to top this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFdNM9ncCsQ

Old 12-08-2021, 10:54 AM

18,045 posts, read 25,094,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yes and no. The major US cities with the largest foreign born Mexican populations are:

1) LA
2) Chicago
3) Dallas
4) Houston

5) Bay Area
6) Phoenix
From 2017
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-ci...160519564.html

The following list includes the metro area, its Mexican immigrant population and the percentage that the Mexican immigrant population represents of the metro area's total population.
  1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, California: 1.735 million; 13.3%
  2. Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 669,000; 7.0%
  3. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas: 606,000; 9.8%
  4. Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington, Texas: 601,000; 9.0%
  5. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California: 562,000; 12.9%
  6. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, Arizona: 344,000; 7.9%

Old 12-08-2021, 11:02 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:

Texas is generally known as the South-West because it has a combination of Southern and Western culture.

I once spent a summer working in Macon, Georgia and the Deep South was a complete culture shock to me.

I find that people from Texas that identify themselves as being Southern want to lump everyone else as being like themselves.

I can tell by the tone of your super long responses to this topic that you don't like certain people from Texas identifying with Western Cities because those cities (LA, Phoenix, San Diego) tend to be seen as more prestigious than cities in the South.

Do you know why the Dallas Cowboys are so popular in those three(LA, Phoenix, San Diego) cities?
Its because a lot of people in those cities are from Texas, or are related to people from Texas (Raises hand)

These right here. (And I'm from East Texas, and an older female, but don't fit the demographic that insists that Texas is Southern because they want it to be - I grew out of that.)

Old 12-08-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
From 2017
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-ci...160519564.html

The following list includes the metro area, its Mexican immigrant population and the percentage that the Mexican immigrant population represents of the metro area's total population.
  1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, California: 1.735 million; 13.3%
  2. Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI: 669,000; 7.0%
  3. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas: 606,000; 9.8%
  4. Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington, Texas: 601,000; 9.0%
  5. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California: 562,000; 12.9%
  6. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, Arizona: 344,000; 7.9%
This is as of 2019 by CSA:

Los Angeles/Long Beach/Riverside - 2,194,499
San Francisco/San Jose/Stockton - 677,838
Dallas/Fort Worth - 638,713
Houston - 601,879
Chicago - 587,427
Phoenix - 343,436

Old 12-08-2021, 06:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,945,271 times
Quote:

Pretty sure Dallas is way more prestigious than Phoenix.

My question is this. Do people in New Mexico, Arizona, and California identify themselves as "Western"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas