Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM

437 posts, read 638,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Damn that's crazy, I never knew spm used that as a sample to his song. Thanks for posting.
Lol same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Hmmm interesting...

It may be an acquired taste. Or maybe I have a lot of painters in my house right now and I don't want to interfere with their groove.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,352,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I like College Station the best. I am just over an hour from Houston, if I really want the big city. Austin is 2 hours away, and San Antonio and Dallas are 3 hours away.

My girlfriend lives in San Antonio, so I am there quite a bit.
College station is more than an hour from Houston and that's on a Sunday morning with no traffic. Highway 290 by the time its widened will help some but not enough. TxDot really needs to do something with the old Hempstead highway to relieve congestion heading to B/CS.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,400,197 times
It goes Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, then Austin in my value system,

Any town whose goal is to be weird is a place I can not relate to. Water issues long term will hold the hill country darlings back. Being near the coast holds Houston back wiht its flooding and hurricane potential which are big negatives to me. Dallas wins by a margin and when I say Dallas I really mean DFW. Without the Suburbs and FW I would not have DFW first, DFW has water issues too unless they can crack the get surplus OK water which I believe they will. Irving water system already has an agreement and plan for long term OK water acess once the courts call the Choctaw water rights superior to the state of Oklahoma;s claim they can stop water going to Tx when the tribe has already agreed to do just that.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 914 times
I was born & raised in San Antonio, but college and career caused me to move. Have lived in Georgia and Colorado, and in other places in Texas: the Rio Grande Valley, Houston, and DFW metroplex. I traveled throughout the U.S. for my employer. EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, upon learning I am from San Antonio says, "OMG I LOVE San Antonio! I would love to live there!" The only ones who didn't "love" it were those who went through basic training at Lackland during July/August, marching in formation in 100 degree temps for hours at a time. But how many ex-military and retirees from all over the country returned to settle down there?? Neither Dallas nor Houston have cultural events , celebrations, or historical landmarks on the scale that SA does. My husband has lots of children and grands, and great grands up here, while my family is greatly diminished, so we will probably not be moving back, Just wanted to say, appreciate San Antonio, because it is still a great place!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
San Antonio is it's own thing and I respect that. For that reason, I don't view it as inferior, just different. I feel the same about Austin.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exins View Post
I was born & raised in San Antonio, but college and career caused me to move. Have lived in Georgia and Colorado, and in other places in Texas: the Rio Grande Valley, Houston, and DFW metroplex. I traveled throughout the U.S. for my employer. EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, upon learning I am from San Antonio says, "OMG I LOVE San Antonio! I would love to live there!" The only ones who didn't "love" it were those who went through basic training at Lackland during July/August, marching in formation in 100 degree temps for hours at a time. But how many ex-military and retirees from all over the country returned to settle down there?? Neither Dallas nor Houston have cultural events , celebrations, or historical landmarks on the scale that SA does. My husband has lots of children and grands, and great grands up here, while my family is greatly diminished, so we will probably not be moving back, Just wanted to say, appreciate San Antonio, because it is still a great place!
Neither Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth have cultural events or celebrations on the scale of San Antonio? I mean, with the increase diversity and populations, I am willing to bet there are just as many events in the first two metros or cities, and with increase variety. If you mean attendance, well, I don't know as much about Houston from personal experience, but DFW has the State Fair (you may personally hate it, I don't know, but many others love it) and both seemingly have more sporting events, which is a subset of culture.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
When I considered moving to Texas, I briefly considered San Antonio, and it was the first big city I eliminated for this reason. I didn't think it was the best that Texas had to offer. I even eliminated it before Austin. I liked some economic factors about Austin, but I was concerned about my ability to fit in socially in Austin. I also felt that Dallas and Houston had more economic factors in their favor. It was a decision between Dallas and Houston.
Okay thats kool.I am glad you found the city that worked for you.Dallas and Houston just dont appeal to me much.I like San Antone better than both Dallas and Houston but thats just me.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM

624 posts, read 905,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think it goes back to the fact that San Antonio was the first major city to go majority Hispanic combined with no major companies HQ there and a lack of high paying jobs in comparison with Houston, Dallas, and Austin.

When I lived in Texas in the 80's and went to university there, practically every young person wanted to move to Austin....even Aggies.
SA has five Fortune 500 companies (USAA & Valero etc) Austin two Dell, Whole Foods.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:52 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Quote:
I've noticed here on city-data people mention Austin, Dallas and Houston as the "big 3" Texas cities and most talk about relocation, recommendations,etc are centered around these cities with San Antonio notably left out.

Is this just a city-data thing? Or do people in the other cities generally see San Antonio as being a level below?

This is an honest question because I have only ever lived in San Antonio so I really wouldn't know.
The entire 40 years I've lived in Texas, I don't think I met anybody who doesn't like San Antonio. People visit, they have a good time, they like the city, and they return. Not everybody wants to live there, but I never hear anybody downgrading it, like the many people who downgrade Houston, Dallas and Austin. There's so much to do, it's almost like a vacation wonderland.

San Antonio looks and is much older than the other 3 Texas million plus metros. Even the downtown area the streets are alot narrower, in the olde style way. I've always found it very confusing to drive in downtown SA, as somehow I seem to lose my sense of direction there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas