U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:02 AM

23,692 posts, read 8,187,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yep, this thread almost dropped off the first page, it was 3 threads from the bottom. Again, C24L should be paid by CD for keeping or bringing back threads. Anyone want to start a petition to have this presented to CD. I'll be gland to be the first to sign it. Let's get this started. A part time job should work well.
I could use the extra money for my retirement fund lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,132,693 times
So how does Waco attract major corporations to come to the city??

Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 PM

349 posts, read 235,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
"Major" is a subjective term. Initially, my response is by offering huge tax cuts/reductions. This leaves the coffers quite empty, so the county (McLennan) compensates by raising property taxes on home owners.

Therefore, the major streets in Waco are an embarrassment (Lake Shore Drive; Waco Drive, Valley Mills Drive), scraped and left to rot; uneven paving completely worn away, etc.

L-3 Communications owns a local aircraft plant, which the mother plant (Greenville) has completely cannibalized, employment down from 1500-2000 to less than 800.

The Twin Peaks shoot-out still looms heavy. A complete failure of local law enforcement to prevent from occurring, and a complete failure of the DA to handle correctly (county taxes are going up, up, up).

Baylor University has a choke-hold on the local government (city and county). The short-lived glory days (QB Robert Griffin III) ended over rampant sexual harassment after major recruitment of thugs for the football team.

In a town with a christian university, there is only one christian book/media store. They chased 'Compass' and 'Family' outta town, only Mardel's remains. And don't dare look for anything gnostic in this town.

But, hey, Chip and Joanna Gaines have brought in some outside tourism. Which means, Waco is a nice place to visit, yada, yada, yada.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:03 AM

716 posts, read 473,416 times
Lake shore is getting new pavement right now - 84 just completed miles of repaving

there are help wanted signs all over the place - Coke has a huge plant here and there are several large manufactures like M &M that are expanding

Housing is alot lower than Austin or Dallas -

35 is being modernized with new lanes and off ramps -

Baylor has a big impact but there are 100'a of churches all over from Mormon, Baptist, new wave, Catholic etc

the outskirts is framing based

i only hope it stays a medium size city - so we dont get big city crap like homeless beggars at every corner and the crime that comes with that

but i suspect that manufactures and distributors will discover the oppertunities here -like Space X did a few years ago

Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 AM

11,315 posts, read 24,821,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Those "major corporations" like Exxon and Walmart just happen to have stores in Waco. It's not like their corporate offices are there.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 PM

3,025 posts, read 4,710,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Lake shore is getting new pavement right now - 84 just completed miles of repaving

there are help wanted signs all over the place - Coke has a huge plant here and there are several large manufactures like M &M that are expanding

Housing is alot lower than Austin or Dallas -

35 is being modernized with new lanes and off ramps -

Baylor has a big impact but there are 100'a of churches all over from Mormon, Baptist, new wave, Catholic etc

the outskirts is framing based

i only hope it stays a medium size city - so we dont get big city crap like homeless beggars at every corner and the crime that comes with that

but i suspect that manufactures and distributors will discover the oppertunities here -like Space X did a few years ago
Baylor is not the Golden Land of Opportunity that Chip and Joanna, hype it up to be. But people fall for anything therefore the tourists do now, flock to Waco. Oh well.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 PM

23,692 posts, read 8,187,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
"Major" is a subjective term. Initially, my response is by offering huge tax cuts/reductions. This leaves the coffers quite empty, so the county (McLennan) compensates by raising property taxes on home owners.

Therefore, the major streets in Waco are an embarrassment (Lake Shore Drive; Waco Drive, Valley Mills Drive), scraped and left to rot; uneven paving completely worn away, etc.

L-3 Communications owns a local aircraft plant, which the mother plant (Greenville) has completely cannibalized, employment down from 1500-2000 to less than 800.

The Twin Peaks shoot-out still looms heavy. A complete failure of local law enforcement to prevent from occurring, and a complete failure of the DA to handle correctly (county taxes are going up, up, up).

Baylor University has a choke-hold on the local government (city and county). The short-lived glory days (QB Robert Griffin III) ended over rampant sexual harassment after major recruitment of thugs for the football team.

In a town with a christian university, there is only one christian book/media store. They chased 'Compass' and 'Family' outta town, only Mardel's remains. And don't dare look for anything gnostic in this town.

But, hey, Chip and Joanna Gaines have brought in some outside tourism. Which means, Waco is a nice place to visit, yada, yada, yada.
how did they chase Compass and Family out of town?I never heard...just wondering..

Last edited by C24L; 01-09-2019 at 12:02 AM..

Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,132,693 times
Well you have a young workforce consisting of Local High school graduates, Baylor kids and surrounding townsfolk. Waco is the hub of CTX ( Killeen-Temple might have something to say on that ) Frontier, spectrum has a 500 seat call center, American life income and C3 in McGregor. Obviously not enough jobs around, No Auto plants, No big tech like a LG ,samsung, dell, apple (Austin). 2.8 million visit here but no big tourist type jobs, hotels or attractions like theme parks, entertainment or resorts think could be big in Waco. 2 rivers 3 lakes its enough water here and educated folks.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
how did they chase Compass and Family out of town?I never heard...just wondering..
Not sure about the 'how,' only that a recent internet search reveals they aren't here anymore. Tri-city area seems to be the better option.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Lake Shore bridges are the only sections getting re-paved at the moment.
Hwy 84 from Hwy 6 west=yes. Waco Drive=no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas