Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times

Advertisements

Texas Reb, most live on the Lake with either a Karnack or UnCertain address and a couple have Jefferson addresses. One has a B and B on the lake. Love that area though of Texas,my Mr. has never been but wants to go fishing over there really bad. He has never met that side of the family! Not sure if he is ready to meet those lively folks yet and have a sit down sunday dinner yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Texas Reb, most live on the Lake with either a Karnack or UnCertain address and a couple have Jefferson addresses. One has a B and B on the lake. Love that area though of Texas,my Mr. has never been but wants to go fishing over there really bad. He has never met that side of the family! Not sure if he is ready to meet those lively folks yet and have a sit down sunday dinner yet!
Kewl! LOL

I may have met or run across them at one time or another (we have been "regulars" out there for a the past ten years or so). Which B & B do they have?

As I am sure you know, Karnack is the little settlement where Lady Bird Johnson was born (her childhood home is right on the way to the lake) and who can forget "Uncertain"? LOL The way the name came about, according to some of the locals -- if I am remembering right -- was that a riverboat pilot made a note in his log that he was "uncertain" as to exactly where they were! LOL Or somthing like that.

Anyway, you really should keep after your husband and y'all take a jaunt up that way! Our next planned trip is going to be in June, as a bunch of us who write for USADeepSouth have been holding a little annual "reunion" out there for about the past three years. As you say, the area is beautiful beyond compare and if one can overlook the BS'ing that goes on, then the affair is a great and relaxing time had by all!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,988 times
TexasReb, yup know about Lady bird and I think were related to her by marriage thru her brother or something like that and I don't remember the name of the Band B but its Pete and Dottie Grant and she is a real estate person so she is pretty well know in that area and she has been there all her life anyway! And you are right I am trying to find time to go back up there and you are right about Uncertain! I have no clue usually where I am by the time I get there!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
I have one pet cat, which should prove entertaining in making a 2000 mile trip to south Texas with her stuck in the car.
GoingHome, talk to a vet about getting pills to relax your cat during the drive. My niece did that when she moved from TX back to CO with her cat.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM

45 posts, read 149,921 times
First of all, let me just say it's nice "meeting" y'all

I was born and raised in Alice, TX. I attended college at Texas A&M-Kingsville and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Child and Family Studies. I've worked with at rish kids throughout my career as a probation officer, CPS case worker, and now I work with foster kids. I lived and worked in Alice, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Chrisiti. I visited places such as New York, Boston, California, Seattle, Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I love each and every one of those places, but like the saying goes, "There's no place but Texas." I thought I left my Alice days behind me, when I met a girl who stole my heart. And she happened to live in Alice. So I moved back home and supported her while she completed her Master's in Communication Disorders. I don't recommend completing a thesis, buying a house, and planning a wedding at the same time. It's very stressfull. We had a beautiful outdoor wedding and it made all the stress worth it. She is now working for the school district as a speech therapist and she recently accepted a position in Victoria, TX. We will be moving in the fall. We have no kids, two dogs (a white german sheppard-Lilly a beagle-Smores) and a turtle-Flash.

I love all things Texas! The culture, the landscape, the food, and especially the people. Here is a story I love to tell: I was in Boston and I was having a conversation with this old-timer on a bench in Boston Common. I answered every question with yes sir, no sir. When his wife arrived, I quickly got on my feet and said, "have a seat ma'am." The old man just looked at me and said, "You must be from Texas."

I love all types of music. Well, not so much rap or hip hop. I'm a big Dave Matthews Band fan. I've been to at least one Dave Matthews Band concert a year since 1996. I enjoy 80s rock as well as 90 alternative. Some other bands I listen to are Led Zepplin, The Who, Rush, (Im also a drummer so its a necessity to listen to John Bonham, Keith Moon, and Neil Peart). Being the "band nerd" that I am, I have my share of classical CDs. By far, my favorite is "The Planets". I also read lots of history books and auto biographies. I have all the entire collection of books by Stephen King and Nick Hornby, as well as The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbs collections.

I don't consider myself too religous, but more spiritual. My dream job would be a camera man for NFL Films. I wish I could sing.

There you go.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
TexasReb, yup know about Lady bird and I think were related to her by marriage thru her brother or something like that and I don't remember the name of the Band B but its Pete and Dottie Grant and she is a real estate person so she is pretty well know in that area and she has been there all her life anyway! And you are right I am trying to find time to go back up there and you are right about Uncertain! I have no clue usually where I am by the time I get there!

This must be it: UNCERTAIN-TX.COM - selah-timberwild

And also: http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&p=3379673

I haven't stayed with them before, but I know where the house/property is!

So far as the Real Estate link goes, I peruse her site quite often as, being about 10 years away from retirement, I am constantly looking for some property out that way!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

160 posts, read 638,317 times
Being a David Allan Coe fan, Pantera fan, Brujeria fan, and Rollins/Black Flag fan, how can I not like Hank 3? Hank 2 is the only Hank I do not care for. However, I have to side with home state pride in terms of who the best is for the country-rock-punk fusion artist. Long live the Reverend!

As for the cat, I already got her some sedatives, just hoping it does not come to having to give them to her. Preliminary runs with her in the car have gone both ways. Sometimes she is fine and mellow, other times she is hanging off the back of the head rest screaming for mercy.

SamKen, I think the appreciation of classical music must be due to the location we were born and raised in. I have the musical talent of a wet noodle, but I love classical music. Even as a kid I loved it. I entered an area competition while attending school in George West that was based on identifying classical works and their composers. The finals were held in Kingsville and we placed first. Oh yeah, and Gary Larson was a genius!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
OOhhh! I love the Reverend too! And Hank 3 and Rollins......

Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 AM

556 posts, read 1,563,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post

I have one pet cat, which should prove entertaining in making a 2000 mile trip to south Texas with her stuck in the car.
I know where you're coming from with your cat! Our family lived in Alaska, and our homecoming-to-Texas drive was a whopping 4,600 miles!!! Two cats. One bottle of sedatives. Thought for a while that the kitties may have to live out their lives in the Yukon, but then we all settled into a routine.

(Kitty sedatives work great when crushed into tuna juice....)

Best of luck, and welcome home!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,055 times
Default Who am I

Born in Ft Worth Texas, stationed at Lackland AFB and Keesler AFB in the USAF, worked for mass transit in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St Paul) MN for the past 30 years and presently working for MN transit agency on the Republican Convention. First visit to Corpus Christi in March 2007 and 4 more 2 weeks trips before finding a builder and neighborhood we wanted to retire to in Corpus. Closed on home and moved in Jan 2, 2008. Wife runs her own financial consulting business in Corpus but maintained her office in Minnesota. I am working on the RNC until Sep 5th then in Corpus full time a permanently. I have been married 35 years as of Sep 8th, 2008 to a wonderful women born and raised in Superior, WI. Our careers brought us to the conclusion we did not want others raising our children so have 2 maltese dogs, Casper and Cody who we love like children or grandchildren.
I have a degree in Psychology with studies in urban planning. I have not decided which job to accept in Corpus yet (one is with City of Corpus other is with RTA of Corpus.
We are into country western music (attending Alan Jackson concert for the music and to see inside of the Bank America Center) May 2 and will be in Corpus for Buc days and the International Boat Show. Its all part of our research and getting to know Corpus and its people.
Will have pics of us and our dogs as well as pics of what we saw that we liked as well as what we saw that made us ask questions when we visited Corpus throughout 2007.
I will be back in Corpus April 18th thru May 5th and will post some days and times to meet fellow Corpus posters for a cup of coffee.
Not into blogs but do read them. I spend enough time at the computer doing my work so dont spend time on it at home other than to check in here once a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas