U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM

406 posts, read 191,021 times

Advertisements

As I am getting closer to retirement, I am trying to narrow down my choices of locations to retire to.

I know I want to relocate from my current location (Galveston Bay) to either the Hill Country or the Brenham to Bastrop areas.

I have a personal reason for moving to the Hill Country so that would be my first choice. The obvious issue with that decision is that a majority of Hill Country is overpriced and crowded.

So my question to the forum is: "What small Hill Country cities, are still affordable for retirees, living off social security, have low crime rates, and are scenic with relaxing lifestyles?"

So far I have looked at Llano, Lampasas, Kingsland and Burnet. But Burnet seems expensive!
I have also considered Bandera, Medina and Boerne. But Boerne is also getting expensive.

Anyone know of a hidden gem in the area where the lifestyle is lowkey, home prices are affordable, and crime rates are nonexistent? Basically looking for a Mayberry-like town in the Hill Country!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM

22,337 posts, read 6,075,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
As I am getting closer to retirement, I am trying to narrow down my choices of locations to retire to.

I know I want to relocate from my current location (Galveston Bay) to either the Hill Country or the Brenham to Bastrop areas.

I have a personal reason for moving to the Hill Country so that would be my first choice. The obvious issue with that decision is that a majority of Hill Country is overpriced and crowded.

So my question to the forum is: "What small Hill Country cities, are still affordable for retirees, living off social security, have low crime rates, and are scenic with relaxing lifestyles?"

So far I have looked at Llano, Lampasas, Kingsland and Burnet. But Burnet seems expensive!
I have also considered Bandera, Medina and Boerne. But Boerne is also getting expensive.

Anyone know of a hidden gem in the area where the lifestyle is lowkey, home prices are affordable, and crime rates are nonexistent? Basically looking for a Mayberry-like town in the Hill Country!

Thanks
what is your budget for housing,OP?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Any "hidden gems" in the Hill Country were discovered by the masses about 1992. None of the Hill Country would be considered "affordable for retirees living off social security" any more. If you look at the more remote parts, such as Junction, Brady, etc, the land is still very valuable for deer hunting, and you'll be a long drive from decent medical care. If you look at the less desireable towns (Menard, Kingsland, Hamilton), then there is a significant meth/drug problem. Kerrville has horribly high property taxes.

Maybe you'll find what you are looking for around Brenham.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
what is your budget for housing,OP?
Max $200K, but I would like an older home 75+ yrs, that has been updated.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Any "hidden gems" in the Hill Country were discovered by the masses about 1992. None of the Hill Country would be considered "affordable for retirees living off social security" any more. If you look at the more remote parts, such as Junction, Brady, etc, the land is still very valuable for deer hunting, and you'll be a long drive from decent medical care. If you look at the less desireable towns (Menard, Kingsland, Hamilton), then there is a significant meth/drug problem. Kerrville has horribly high property taxes.

Maybe you'll find what you are looking for around Brenham.
Exactly what I have found.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM

2,346 posts, read 1,150,899 times
There are a few homes that fit your budget in Mason. You should be able to find something in Kerrville too.

Is there really a meth problem in Hamilton? Seemed like a fine small town to me... Other than the strict police officers regarding speed

Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Is there really a meth problem in Hamilton? Seemed like a fine small town to me... Other than the strict police officers regarding speed
There was a huge meth ring bust in Hamilton County last year that led to 16 arrests. Maybe that got rid of most of the problem?

Check out the Sheriff's office Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Hamilton-Co...7162/timeline/

Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM

2,163 posts, read 2,685,386 times
Look at Comfort, Castroville, Uvalde.
Best of luck in your retirement!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,076 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Look at Comfort, Castroville, Uvalde.
Best of luck in your retirement!
I would focus around Comfort, it is very Mayberry like. (if you don't mind driving to Kerrville or Boerne for medical / big box goods.)

I have had no problem finding inexpensive property near Kerrville, but today RE is at a higher price everywhere. (this will change).

There are ways to mitigate the Property taxes! (out of city)

FT or snowbird? (heat escape?, I do that from my Texas home Jun - Sept)

Are you looking for acreage or city life?
Do you have / need VA medical?

What is your top 5 'wish-list' ?

My sample priorities (certainly different from most) are:
  1. 1 hr to airport,
  2. 20 min to a college,
  3. 10 min to grocery / services,
  4. on a clear hilltop (View & cool),
  5. Double living space (for tenants or future caregiver),
  6. extra RV hook-ups for traveling friends
  7. large shop (40x70 minimum),
  8. paved road access,
  9. no (few) Neighbors from hxll,
  10. EZ resell, excellent MC riding within 5 min,
  11. attractive neighborhood (for potential buyers) but NO HOA
  12. decent medical <30 min

Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would focus around Comfort, it is very Mayberry like. (if you don't mind driving to Kerrville or Boerne for medical / big box goods.)

I have had no problem finding inexpensive property near Kerrville, but today RE is at a higher price everywhere. (this will change).

There are ways to mitigate the Property taxes! (out of city)

FT or snowbird? (heat escape?, I do that from my Texas home Jun - Sept)

Are you looking for acreage or city life?
Do you have / need VA medical?

What is your top 5 'wish-list' ?

My sample priorities (certainly different from most) are:
  1. 1 hr to airport,
  2. 20 min to a college,
  3. 10 min to grocery / services,
  4. on a clear hilltop (View & cool),
  5. Double living space (for tenants or future caregiver),
  6. extra RV hook-ups for traveling friends
  7. large shop (40x70 minimum),
  8. paved road access,
  9. no (few) Neighbors from hxll,
  10. EZ resell, excellent MC riding within 5 min,
  11. attractive neighborhood (for potential buyers) but NO HOA
  12. decent medical <30 min
Wow, thanks for the in-depth response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas