Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 25,451 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find somewhere to buy several acres of useless and cheap land in the middle of nowhere. It would be used as a weekend getaway. Not planning to move there or build anything permanent, no utilities at all necessary. So it would only need to be accessible by a public road (not even a major highway). I am trying to find something centrally located in Texas so it wouldn't be far no matter where I move. Anybody know any resources besides ebay that would be selling this kind of land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Lands of Texas might have something. They also have a "wanted" section where you could post what you're looking for and someone might just have it.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
If you cant find it on ebay then you ain't buying. Ebay has to be the largest quanity of useless land there is. The type land you speak of Realtors dont even want.

Search the local papers of the different counties. Check those free papers available in the front of restaurants like the Nifty Nickle, Green Pages and the like.

Good luck to ya......

Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Hi,
I have a blog that chronicles my journey searching for "cheap" land. PM me if you want to read it. I haven't updated it in a while, though. Basically, stay away from ebay.

Let me also say that you can find cheap land anywhere--even places where it may cost 10k an acre. The secret is taking the time to look for it. I would also say don't spend time with classifieds and the like--overpriced land is always listed there, or there is something usually "wrong" with it. I know because I've watched a ton of land for 2 years now and the same ones don't sell. Most of the good deals are never listed or are sold before it even gets a public listing. The stuff they can't sell gets put in the MLS

How many acres are you looking for?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 32,621 times
Look around Terlingua, you won't find anything closer to no where. Its 100 miles to a cell phone signal. Last time I was down there (last year) land was around $300 an acre. Big Bend is down there, a cool place to visit.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:04 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,458 times
Read the other thread about Loving County, and Mentone. Whole county has about 70 people, total. Perfect.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM

39 posts, read 154,759 times
i also am looking for some cheap land. looking for 20 or so acres in the middle of nothing. within 3 to 4 hours of houston would be nice

Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
Sheriff's offices (i.e. the 'county') often have small pieces of such land for sale......they take it when they bust the meth labs on them.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
There is cheap land out there that's for sure, but it's going to be higher in Central Texas, although check out Leon County, I've noticed it sells for less in that area. Horizon City out by El Paso is dirt cheap to almost give away. There is a lot of cheap land, but it is not going to be centrally located. I did notice one piece of land that was just reduced dramatically out by Alpine and quite a few others like it that have really been tumbling down in price lately, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding something now. My guess is it will be even cheaper this summer. Check out land that is located by water treatment plants, it will be below the average costs for the area and any other undesirable places that you might think of. Check them out and see if there is any land for sell around them, it will be cheaper.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
20 miles North of Ozona - welcome to your nurvana. Western Oklahoma between Guymon and Fritch, TX is also "out there," although I recognize the later does not fit your location option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas