U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 07:38 PM

21,510 posts, read 5,548,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
I moved to Abilene 6 months ago for work. I was told that Abilene was a small city that was growing and had a lot going for it. I get to town and I get the biggest rude awakening I could have ever dreamed of. After living in Tyler for 6 years I had grown accustomed to a well kept city with friendly people. Tyler had restaurants, night life, booming economy and nice scenery to look at. Within 5 minutes of arriving in Abilene I knew I had made a mistake.

Abilene is a filthy town with a lot of nothing surrounding it for miles. Trees? None. Booming economy? What economy? Night life? Ha! Everything closes at midnight. Entire neighborhoods lay mostly abandoned and most of the remaining homes should be demolished. The restaurants that Abilene has are just chain restaurants and many are closed down. Entire blocks are empty and filled with trash, abandoned cars and tall grass. Need to catch a flight? Good luck. Abilene has one air carrier and getting a flight will cost you $500 easily. Most of the streets are in terrible shape. Within 2 weeks I had already replaced a front wheel because of a pot hole the size of a moon crater!! Is Abilene a safe city? Nope! The entire city is overrun by violent crime which occupies the entire 10pm newscast. One good thing is that housing is pretty cheap but I can definitely see why. There’s no shopping and healthcare options seem a bit limited as well.

Needless to say I’ve requested my old position back in Tyler and will be leaving in 3 weeks. If anyone reading this is considering a move to Abilene, please think about it. Abilene isn’t a growing city for opportunity as they would like you to think. It’s a dying city that needs help.
ya you are right that Abilene is a stagnant no-to-low growth city.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM

49,977 posts, read 39,853,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
Needless to say I’ve requested my old position back in Tyler and will be leaving in 3 weeks. If anyone reading this is considering a move to Abilene, please think about it. Abilene isn’t a growing city for opportunity as they would like you to think. It’s a dying city that needs help.
Well, if Abilene is the dying city that you say it is, then don't you think that that's an opportunity for someone else?? Something to think about. Not every city is for everybody. I visit Abilene once in a blue moon, and I don't have any real problems with it. It's not perfect, but then, no city or town is. Cities with vision don't have to die, and it takes people with vision to make things happen. Abilene has had a little bit of uprising in recent years, but I still believe that the best is yet to be.

Best wishes on your move back to East Texas.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM

289 posts, read 545,676 times
Nine time out of ten when someone says "it's not a friendly place" and continues to trash everything about a certain city or place, the blame is on them. You sound like you're really unhappy there. Do the folks of Abilene a favor and move back to Tyler.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 PM

2,927 posts, read 4,044,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwood View Post
Nine time out of ten when someone says "it's not a friendly place" and continues to trash everything about a certain city or place, the blame is on them. You sound like you're really unhappy there. Do the folks of Abilene a favor and move back to Tyler.
Not quite sure we want him back, he's sorta hurting Tyler's otherwise, pretty good name.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 AM

1,060 posts, read 371,446 times
I don't know anything about Abilene but the worst cities in Texas in my opinion are Beaumont and Texarkana.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:53 PM

2,361 posts, read 789,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

Somehow I doubt the OP has been to Duval County.

Or to Wickett, Texas, either.

If the OP was disappointed in Abilene, he/she would be reaching for the nearest loaded firearm with which to blow his/her head off in abject despair at having to spend an afternoon in Wickett.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 AM

59 posts, read 36,264 times
Finally made it back to Tyler. The air smells fresh, I haven’t heard a gunshot yet and I feel safe. I will miss nothing about Abilene, Tx. I never met one person there who liked it or wanted to be there. I still wonder why anyone would choose to live there in the first place. I’m just happy to be back in one of the greatest cities in Texas.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:35 AM

222 posts, read 122,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You forgot Beaumont and Crane.
Yes, those places are truly "worst" in my book. Not even close...

Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 PM

10,455 posts, read 7,722,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Yes, those places are truly "worst" in my book. Not even close...
Never been there.............. but what qualifies Crane as being a "worst city" as compared to the multitudes of other small towns in the Permian basin.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM

21,510 posts, read 5,548,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The buckle of the Bible Belt
ya Abilene is really religious and is very much in the Bible Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or