Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 20,969 times

Advertisements

I needed to add we are cosidering a move from Eastern NEW MEXICO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mequia View Post
I needed to add we are cosidering a move from Eastern NEW MEXICO...
what would you like to know?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 AM

Well what is the job market like there. I have applied at the BISD but no word yet. My husbund is an Internet Tech here and works with networking. Any help would be great.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mequia View Post
Well what is the job market like there. I have applied at the BISD but no word yet. My husbund is an Internet Tech here and works with networking. Any help would be great.
for networking stuff... his best bet is with homeland security.

bisd is hard to get into... people usually either already know someone on the inside or start as a substitute.

you could try the charter schools in the mean time... but you would be doing stuff like in the movies Dangerous Minds and Lean on Me... not that bad but you get those kids.

i would also recommend calling everyone at the BISD main office and bother them. wake up every morning and knock on their doors. it's just a matter of getting your foot in the door.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the help. I've already started the bugging process.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:10 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Brownsville loves to hire people from out of town. Seriously, it's a weird phenomenon.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,287 times
After living up here in the north, which is very scenic too, I would do ANYTHING to get a job in the south in Texas because of the weather. If anyone will hire me I will work harder than anybody you have ever seen.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM

437 posts, read 1,299,890 times
Brownsville is a lot warmer then a lot of people think it is. Plenty of Royal Palms everywhere, and quite a few coconut palms here and there. I'd put it on par with St. Petersburg, Florida. Not a place for everyone though, especially if you don't like being the minority.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Brownsville is a lot warmer then a lot of people think it is. Plenty of Royal Palms everywhere, and quite a few coconut palms here and there. I'd put it on par with St. Petersburg, Florida. Not a place for everyone though, especially if you don't like being the minority.
Brownsville and the rest of the valley go beyond warm. B'ville is just plain sweltering HOT in the summer, and very, very humid/subtropical.

The best time of year down there is from December to the beginning of February.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,882 times
Question How are you getting on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
Everyone,

I am looking for advice on where to live, should I relocate to Brownsville in the near future.

I have read the threads about The Valley and would like some advice other than "do not move here". Please help, assuming that it is already a "done deal".

My wife and I are white and have 3 kids under the age of 4. I would be driving into Matamoros for work every day and my wife would stay home with the kids. I am looking for a safe neighborhood where they can feel comfortable taking walks and driving to the grocery store.

Any POSITIVE advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure if you will pick this up now as time has moved on. I would be interested in hearing how you got on. We are English and have the chance of moving to Brownsville but I worry about the Matamoros drive for my husband every day and have no idea how safe Brownsville is. If you can pick this up and reply, that would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas