U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Status: "19 million views. Thanks, everyone!" (set 2 days ago)

36,239 posts, read 19,035,234 times
The problem on the roadways today is one-upmanship. And the issue is passing another vehicle. One person is trying to one-up the other and won't let anyone pass them for whatever reason. It's like they want to be faster than the other. It's one thing if people are in a hurry to get somewhere, but there appears to be more and more selfishness on the roadways. People not yielding to exiting traffic on the feeder road. People in the far right lane not allowing entering travelers and simply ignoring them. And there are also those who are in the center lane and they have to cut through the right lane in front of me to use their exit. And how much do you want to bet that, in many cases, that driver knew the exit was coming and he/she wanted to see who they could make mad??

Have any of you fellow Texans experienced that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 AM

9,800 posts, read 10,958,812 times
I am remembering a funny little episode that took place some years back when I was "dating" a girl from Massachusetts. As a quick aside here, some of y'all might remember that "grinder" story -- concerning a cultural gap in what po'boys or subs are called -- I told once? SHE was the culprit in question!

ANYWAY, as a background, most of y'all have probably seen that humorous list of "Tips for Northerners moving to the South/Texas"?

Well, we were in Tyler at the time and she wanted a coke (ok...she called it a "soda"...but what the hell and that is the latter point here) so I pulled into a 7-11 store. Just prior to that I was sharing that list of tips for yankees. And one of them I mentioned was the one that went "Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?"

This was JUST right before I parked the car and she got out to go in and get her coke. There was a police car in the parking lot too.

OK..thru the glass windows of the store, I saw her ask the clerk something, then go to the back of the store, then return to the counter to pay for it (and yes, I paid for it...so don't gimme a hard time about that, ok? LOL).

Well, I could see her laughing and joking a bit with the police officer and the store clerk...and she came back out giggling. The first thing she said to me was something like this:

"Do you know what that policeman said to me when I asked about "sodas"?

"What's that hon?"

She tried to duplicate a Texas accent: "You ain't from around here, are you?"

Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 PM

1,853 posts, read 2,520,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am remembering a funny little episode that took place some years back when I was "dating" a girl from Massachusetts. As a quick aside here, some of y'all might remember that "grinder" story -- concerning a cultural gap in what po'boys or subs are called -- I told once? SHE was the culprit in question!

ANYWAY, as a background, most of y'all have probably seen that humorous list of "Tips for Northerners moving to the South/Texas"?

Well, we were in Tyler at the time and she wanted a coke (ok...she called it a "soda"...but what the hell and that is the latter point here) so I pulled into a 7-11 store. Just prior to that I was sharing that list of tips for yankees. And one of them I mentioned was the one that went "Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?"

This was JUST right before I parked the car and she got out to go in and get her coke. There was a police car in the parking lot too.

OK..thru the glass windows of the store, I saw her ask the clerk something, then go to the back of the store, then return to the counter to pay for it (and yes, I paid for it...so don't gimme a hard time about that, ok? LOL).

Well, I could see her laughing and joking a bit with the police officer and the store clerk...and she came back out giggling. The first thing she said to me was something like this:

"Do you know what that policeman said to me when I asked about "sodas"?

"What's that hon?"

She tried to duplicate a Texas accent: "You ain't from around here, are you?"

This is so funny. I'm going to enjoy this thread!

The latest nicest thing that has happened to us was a few months ago. My daughter had just begun driving back last summer and I was letting her drive our old Ford truck. One afternoon a few months ago she called me and said it had just died while driving down the road. Well, I thought she had just let it run out of gas. One of her friends happened by and she rode home with them. When we went to get the truck, it started and ran fine. I followed her to school the next morning to see how it ran and about halfway it just died on her going down the road. She pulled over on the shoulder and then stopped it right in the middle of a drive going up to a house. Well, it wouldn't start for nothing, so I told her we had to push it out of the drive. As luck would have it, it was on an incline to boot. This was the only road going into town and it was the time of the morning when everyone was on it, going to work or school. A man saw us pushng the truck and he pulled over, he was on the opposite side of the road, mind you, and ran, dodging cars across that busy road and just ran up and started pushing! A simple act of kindness, but it makes you appreciate of goodness of people. He was in a hurry just like everyone else, but he stopped to help. Makes you so glad there are people like this, not only for the help they give you, but for the lump that appears in your throat because they took the time to help you out of the goodness of their heart.

Oh, BTW, it was the modular that was going out on the truck and there I was, accusing her of running out of gas.

This is just the latest incident. I have encountered so many kindnesses from strangers, (did I say strangers, these are fellow Texans) throughout my life. I try to always do as my Daddy always did when we were growing up. He never failed to stop and give a helping hand to someone. When they would try to pay him he always refused, saying, if they ever encountered someone needing help, and if they would stop and help them, that would be his payment.

I've never lived outside of Texas, so I don't know how it is in other states, but growing up and living here all my life, I will say, Texans are a goodhearted bunch and will always go out of their way to be friendly and extend a helping hand. As far as manners, if you're a Texan, you're going to have manners, that is, unless you was raised in a barn!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM

7,712 posts, read 17,921,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The problem on the roadways today is one-upmanship. And the issue is passing another vehicle. One person is trying to one-up the other and won't let anyone pass them for whatever reason. It's like they want to be faster than the other.

I think this is one part what some out-of-staters call the "Texas attitude." Bigger, badder, faster, stronger, etc. I actually don't experience this myself simply because I don't take part in contests like these. I also don't notice many others doing this as I'm trying to stay safe. Every so often I will see the pair of kamikaze "boy-racers". Anyway, you can usually find me going 10-15 over on the freeways whenever I can, but if someone wants to be first they can go right ahead.

As far as the manners go, it's nice when people do have them. Texas has a lot of folks with decent manners. But at the same time, many of those same people have the ''Brer Rabbit'' attitude.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM

284 posts, read 515,993 times
A Texas upbringing can be very dangerous .... when you move elsewhere. Grew up in the Hill Country, with all the manors (mannerisms) pointed out in this list. I always took it as a source of pride that I could monitor my rear view mirror and pull over on the shoulder in time for an advancing car to never have to come off cruise control (that is, once cruise control was invented!). I moved out of state in 86 and had a few adjustments:

First time I started to pull over I nearly wreaked ... no shoulders on most of the roads.

I stop at red lights and nearly get rammed from behind. I've gone through a yellow light, felt guilty, looked around for the fuz, and seen 3 to 4 more cars come though the light behind me.

Y'all take care.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,895,001 times
I don't get out of the state much but when I do and people find out where I'm from, they smile and reply "Oh, you're from TEXAS, huh?" Even when I'm somewhere where I have to show my driver's license sometimes they will remark like that. I'm not sure what they mean by it but I'll take it as a compliment.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM

138 posts, read 312,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I like all the responses. I'll give this a try, although I'm not sure I have any really great stories.

...one guy recognized our accent as Southern and we told him we were from Texas. He said "The place where everyone carries guns?" We politely set him straight, but also told him that people down here really love that we have that right to defend ourselves. He wasn't too thrilled with that response, of course, and our friends who live there in Brooklyn said we were lucky he didn't start a fight...

What a confused person. Potentially wanting to fight over someone he doesn't know wanting to carry a gun in a state thousands of miles away.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM

5,565 posts, read 9,340,230 times
In 2005 I visited the beautiful province of Victoria, British Columbia. After a day of walking the town, my family and I decided to go to a steak restaurant in downtown Victoria. There were several various kinds of steaks on the menu and we asked our waiter for advice on which to try. He went on and on about how each meat was cut a certain way (prime rib, sirloin, etc) and how they had the best steaks in town British Columbia, etc. After 5 minutes of telling us all the juicy details, he then asked us where we were from:

"Texas," I said with a big smile.

"Oh, well, nevermind. These steaks are not as good as what you folks get down there," said the waiter.

I felt bad for the guy, but we did tell him later that the steaks were fantastic (though it does not compare with our steaks).

Old 04-14-2008, 03:50 PM

134 posts, read 212,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
In 2005 I visited the beautiful province of Victoria, British Columbia. After a day of walking the town, my family and I decided to go to a steak restaurant in downtown Victoria. There were several various kinds of steaks on the menu and we asked our waiter for advice on which to try. He went on and on about how each meat was cut a certain way (prime rib, sirloin, etc) and how they had the best steaks in town British Columbia, etc. After 5 minutes of telling us all the juicy details, he then asked us where we were from:

"Texas," I said with a big smile.

"Oh, well, nevermind. These steaks are not as good as what you folks get down there," said the waiter.

I felt bad for the guy, but we did tell him later that the steaks were fantastic (though it does not compare with our steaks).
Actually, I have found that one can get better steaks in places like Chicago and (especially) New York.

I had a friend from the city visit me in Austin during college and he kept asking about going to some very nice steakhouse. My father (who grew up in Austin) told me that New York has better steak; take him to get BBQ.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,804,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post

Please tell me where because I've never had a steak that compared to the steaks from a neighborhood grocery store where I lived in California. They were delicious. After moving here, I couldn't believe how tough and untasty they were and never could understand why. I guess I'm shopping and dining at the wrong places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas