Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times

Advertisements

I've had good steaks in Texas, but Denver is actually good at doing steaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 06:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,704,597 times
Honestly, I think it doesn't matter what state you go to. Steaks are usually a pretty good item to get right, unlike BBQ which only a few select states can do (NCarolina, Kansas City, Texas, etc).

As long as the steak is not taken from a stressed cow that kNOWS it's going to die, then it will be good. Cattle release some crazy chemicals in their blood when they know they're gonan get slaughtered...it makes the meat tough to chew, a sign of poor quality meat especially from places that pay for cheap labor (remember in the news a few weeks ago about the cows so sick they could hardly walk?).

I know for a fact South Texas does not do steaks as good as the upper portion of Texas. San Antonio definitely does not do BBQ, which is another pet peeve of mine.

On the other hand, I think the generic places like Texas Road House are pretty darn good. My favorite was Texas Land and Cattle, but lately something is going wrong.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 PM

134 posts, read 326,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Honestly, I think it doesn't matter what state you go to. Steaks are usually a pretty good item to get right, unlike BBQ which only a few select states can do (NCarolina, Kansas City, Texas, etc).

As long as the steak is not taken from a stressed cow that kNOWS it's going to die, then it will be good. Cattle release some crazy chemicals in their blood when they know they're gonan get slaughtered...it makes the meat tough to chew, a sign of poor quality meat especially from places that pay for cheap labor (remember in the news a few weeks ago about the cows so sick they could hardly walk?).

I know for a fact South Texas does not do steaks as good as the upper portion of Texas. San Antonio definitely does not do BBQ, which is another pet peeve of mine.

On the other hand, I think the generic places like Texas Road House are pretty darn good. My favorite was Texas Land and Cattle, but lately something is going wrong.

Well, I have to disagree with your first statement. Better steakhouses get better cuts of beef with better chefs.

There are some good steakhouses in Texas. Cattlemen's in Forth Worth is very good for example. There are also good places in Houston and Dallas. But, overall for steaks, New York and Chicago have better steakhouses for various reasons (money, history, culture, etc). I personally don't eat all that much red meat anymore but New York is my favorite place to get steak. They also have easier access to fresh lobster and great wine lists which makes the experience even better.

San Antonio; it's more a place for Mexican Food. As far as Victoria, BC...I would stick with seafood. Salmon is great; some of the best in the world.

Last edited by jd2008; 04-14-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,704,597 times
thanks for the comments jd2008. We better get this thread back on topic before a mod slaps my wrist again

So, Texas mannerisms....do they open the door for women in any other state as much as Texas?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:12 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Quote:
San Antonio definitely does not do BBQ, which is another pet peeve of mine.

Strange you say that, since so many of the locals tout the BBQ (and Tex-Mex) as if it were the sacred dishes put there by the grace of God. I don't think their BBQ is that bad, though I've had better in Houston.

I've had equally as good Tex-Mex in both SA and Houston.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,285,831 times
Quote:
thanks for the comments jd2008. We better get this thread back on topic before a mod slaps my wrist again

So, Texas mannerisms....do they open the door for women in any other state as much as Texas?
The rest of the South, maybe? Since Texas was mostly settled by Southerners that'd be my guess.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,769,914 times
Don't know about the rest of you gals, but I love it when a gentleman tips his hat and says, "Howdy ma'am" in a true genuine manner and you know he's grown up with this being inbred into his very fiber. It makes you know you're home. Now I'm talking about the real deal here, not one of those clowns dressed up in cowboy garb trying to imitate John Wayne.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM

297 posts, read 896,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
The rest of the South, maybe? Since Texas was mostly settled by Southerners that'd be my guess.
.... what about all the police blotters/registers in the upper midwest with the case stamped closed with "GTT" .... i.e., Gone To Texas

I'd say the door opening effort is very similar to Texas here in South Carolina.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Very true, Miss Lily! Along with a casual wave at those in the opposite lane on rural highways, pulling over to the shoulder and letting others go around you, to help them pass, is a staple of Texas driving manners!
i have lived in missouri for the last 22 years, but still chuckle at the memory of how absolutely FLOORED my ex was when he saw this behaviour on our trips to rockport to visit my mom.....

this and pulling over to the side of the road when a funeral procession is passing.....

Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
this and pulling over to the side of the road when a funeral procession is passing.....
Great one! I actually intended to mention it earlier...the pulling over for a funeral procession! I am not sure how common it is anymore in the truly large cities, but even in my hometown of Wichita Falls (pop. 100,000) it is still a mostly observed custom. It definitely is in smaller towns and rural areas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas