U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,721,848 times

Advertisements

great story! really enjoyed it. thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKen View Post
I was in Boston in November. It is a beautiful city and the people there are great. At least the people I talked to. From the waitstaff of the restaurants to the driver on the siteseeing bus were extremely friendly and accomodating to us tourists.

Another funny story of my Boston trip and it is Texas related as well. There is a restaurant in Cambridge, at Harvard Square called Z Squared. (I highly recommend it....food is really good.) Anyway, the manager is going around asking my wife and I how are food is. We say its wonderful, excellent, etc.... so he proceeds to say, "great, I look forward to seeing you again." To which I respond, "uh, we aren't from here, so it'll be a while." So he asks where we are from and of course, my wife proudly says, Texas. He proceeds to tell us what a small world it is as he is from El Paso. We tell him we are from Alice, and he knew where it was!!! He has a sister in law from Corpus and drove by Alice when he drove to Laredo. He says, "you know what I really miss about Texas? Whataburger." Ha Ha Ha!!! As we were walking back to our hotel, I told my wife, "Here we are, in Cambridge, Massachusetts...walking around Harvard University, just ate a fancy restaurant and we just had a conversation about Whataburger." I'd like to add, that the manager of the restuarant gave my wife and I champagne on the house after we mentioned we were in Boston for our anniversary.

You're going to love Boston, Lillypad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 9,455,674 times
Yes, a really nice story, SamKen. I will enjoy Boston! Family and friends also will be there. My sister and I already set to do serious shopping!! And sightseeing.

Years ago, when some friends and I were stuck in a subway in Paris without any money, a family from Texas helped us out, gave us some tokens and wished us luck!! They were like our guardian angels.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,616,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I saw this in another Texas thread recently and, as it deals with some Texas mannerisms, it may be worth repeating here. I've added the ones about the Texas High Plains. I could also write a few for east Texas but I've been gone from there for forty years so I'll let someone who still lives there be creative.

You may live in Texas if:

- If someone in a Lowe's store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you may live in Texas.

- If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Texas.

- If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Texas.

- If "Vacation" means going anywhere south of Dallas for the weekend, you may live in Texas.

- If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Texas.

- If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Texas.

- If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both unlocked, you may live in Texas.

- If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Texas.

- If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -- you're going 80 and everybody s passing you, you may live in Texas.

- If you find 60 degrees "a little chilly", you may live in Texas.

You may live on the Texas High Plains if the above apply and if:

- You have wrecked at least one vehicle trying to avoid a tumbleweed you have seen coming at you for thirty minutes.

- The few trees on your property are missing all their limbs on the southwest side.

- You've been so close to a tornado that your ears popped.

- You've had at least one hail ball in your living room floor and it did not come down the chimney like Santa.

- You secretly believe the Earth is flat but with "rounded" edges.

- Everyone on your street has a boat and the nearest lake is 100 miles away.

- You can almost see that lake if you squint hard.

- You mow your lawn with a tractor and a shredder.

- Your local Walmart carries tractor transmission oil.

- You drive a vehicle that takes $150 just to fill the gas tank, and you have two tanks!

- You have three cousins who are truck drivers and at least one of them drives a milk truck.

- You have placed a guitar pick on the grave of Buddy Holley and know why.

- You know that "twin fiddles" does not refer to one of Bill Clinton's social skills.
Sounds 'bout right to me! Enjoyed reading this.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 6 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,312,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
And not just for the "ladies". I keep the door open for whoever is coming behind me, just a common courtesy. I have to go up to YankeeLand (Boston) in a few weeks! It is a beautiful city and look forward to seeing all the historical sites, but wonder about the friendliness factor.
Just a little "reverse mention" concerning the friendliness factor. The Massachusetts girl I mentioned earlier was from Springfield, which I THINK is near Boston (my NE geography is not all that good! LOL) and she once told me, in a wistful mood, a couple of things I never forgot..and that I guess maybe we Texans take for granted.

We were in Tyler and sitting outside in a porch swing on one of those sleepy warm soft Southern nights and she said, "you know the two things that I just love about down here?"

For one, it is just soooo peaceful, she said. Even the cities at night, she explained, are so much more laid back and easy at night that what she was used to, where folks 24 hours a day are honking horns and hollering and rushing hither and tither.

Also? She said, "People down here are just SO down-to-earth friendly! You can't really appreciate that until you lived where I do."

Yeah...I guess sometimes we Texans take for granted things like that.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 AM

I am not sure if this story belongs on this thread or not, or if it might be better put somewhere else, or even on a new one related to "Texas ways."

My great-grandmother (like most of y'alls grannys probably were too) a "hard-shell" Southern Baptist. That ol' timey type who was the epitome of a soft bread bakin and chicken frying huggin' grammaw....but would have easily shot somebody's butt off and the justification "He needed' killin'" be used and then, pray for the poor sumitches soul.

Anyway, like most of the breed, she was absolutely opposed to drinking. THAT was a bigger sin than blastin' some poor jerk with rocksalt who stole watermelons from her patch...

Well, this story was a favorite among some of her sons and son-in-laws (my grandfather and great-uncles) who were not opposed to a snort or two. And I would hear it at family reunions and gatherings when she was not in earshot.

She developed a cough and the doctor advised her to take a shot of whiskey several times a day for as long as it persisted. It was several weeks before she could be convinced to do so. Once she DID try it? She insisted on doing so from a teaspoon. Because THAT way it was "medicinal" and not ("gasp") "drinking"

As the story goes, the teaspoonfull quickly became a tablespoon. Finally to a soup ladle, and this fine elixer becoming a standard of the "medicine cabinet*...which itself was moved, for these purposes, into the closet...

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-22-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 AM

8,642 posts, read 16,407,714 times
Cute story. Excepting the drinking part, we could have the same grandma from the sound of it

Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Cute story. Excepting the drinking part, we could have the same grandma from the sound of it
Probably! LOL I forgot to add that, according to the old family stories, the cough cleared up not long afterwards. However, grandmaw felt it best to keep the "medicine" regularly replinished and available for "preventive and relapse" purposes.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM

10,647 posts, read 6,631,360 times
Here I am entering the thread late, yet this thread holds dear to me.

'Manners maketh the man' my father always said to me, and it's true.

I recall when we- my family- moved to Texas, we were on the bus to pick up the rental car and a big man wearing a lovely Western hat stood up to offer his seat to a lady.

That's how I was brought up and still practice- I was in Italy last week and stood up on a bus despite a crocked foot and was shameful of the young uns sitting down.

I've loved the hospitality shown in Texas.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 704 times
Funnily enough: I'm from Western Australia. In Australia if your from "the country" (as in not the city or a big town) then you tend to be more polite. Having moved to the city in my mid 20's I was shocked at how many people did not take the time of day to even say thankyou. They don't even wave to people driving in the opposite direction!
Us "country folk" heavily identify with how we see Texans more than the people 3 hours down the road: as people who work hard & play hard, who think a gun is a tool (not a weapon) and can be fun if your careful, that think a steak dinner is the best kind of dinner to feed a hungry man, getting dirty can mean actual mud, cars are more than just transport & stopping to help out someone who needs it is "just being neighbourly" (tho they would never say it that way!).
Manners here are to "show respect" & to "not be rude".
The big thing I feel we're missing out on is the way a woman is treated with respect and deference in Texas. I guess it all comes down to most of us Aussie gals doing hard labour right next to the fellas and demanding to be treated like "one of the blokes" rather than being ribbed for being "weaker". We girls also out number the guys in most areas too - so guys dont have to be polite to still be desirable. In the areas where guys out number the girls - you see more of the manners.
That being said - most of us are proud to be Aussies - as I am - even tho I plan to move to Texas within the next few years. It's the only place I know of that my hubby can get a "city job" and I can live like I'm in the country!
See ya'll soon!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM

795 posts, read 703,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Very true, Miss Lily! Along with a casual wave at those in the opposite lane on rural highways, pulling over to the shoulder and letting others go around you, to help them pass, is a staple of Texas driving manners!
Yep, theres a rural highway here (the 67 hwy) that whenever you drive on it people going the other way always wave. I really like that alot. Theres even a sign out there that says something like "Drive friendly-the Texas way."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas