Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I just bought a house September 2018. The previous owners had a 65 and over homestead and so the lenders were not able to calculate the property taxes. Our realtor told us to expect a shortage on our escrow come the new year to make up the difference.

We received a check in the mail last month for an escrow surplus of $980. I'm confused as to why I'm receiving this check. Should we save this money to pay taxes next year?

Also, we've been saving $200 extra each month and plan to use it in any property tax increase so that our mortgage doesn't shoot up. My husband is upset that we are going to end up being short $3000 in escrow. Does this sound right? We dont want to have to be saving $200 extra each month if we dont need to.

Please help me understand how and why my mortgage will increase next year (2020)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
A realtor can answer the surplus question better than me, but I know there are some odd accounting that goes on with escrow for taxes and what has already been paid in, etc. I suspect that the 65+ extension is good for the year, though? I don't know how the county handles partial years and changes in exemption status.

And to be pedantic, your mortgage will not change. Your tax bill will change. While those are now usually bundled together by the lender, they are different things. You can very precisely calculate your taxes if you know the 2019 appraise value and then see how much you will owe in taxes.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Call your county tax assessor.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Here is your taxes on a $400k house in the city limits of Austin:
Attached Thumbnails
New homeowners 65 and over homestead shortage-capture.jpg  

Old 05-09-2019, 03:23 PM

206 posts, read 170,815 times
Estimated tax for an Austin property can be found at the Travis CAD website. That can be compared to the house payment to see if it’s going to be enough. Just an example. Each county would have their own info, most likely online.

Travis CAD - Property Search

Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Your thread heading says: New homeowners 65 and over... are you too, also, applying for over 65 homestead exemption? You should have applied for this tax year, I don't remember, it's been 15 years since I dealt with this, I think you can still apply for this year, not sure really.

As I remember, the tax distribution should have been, and likely was, settled at closing, with you paying what you should or you getting credit for what you will pay at the next time taxes are paid on the property you bought. This is a normal expected work of the title company at closing. Someone working for the title company at least, if not your agent, is there was one, should have explained this in detail at the time of closing.

Also, soon after you closed within several months, you should have received a letter from your appraisal district asking you what YOU paid for the property. I don't know how many people tell the appraisal district, you don't HAVE to tell, unless you can prove you paid less than what the district has it valued for, of course, this would be an advantage to you, tell them. Later if they have it appraised at more than you paid, you can easily prove what you RECENTLY paid for the property they would easily reduce their appraisal of you property, I've "been there done that" on all of this paragraph.

Oh of course, you total house payment MAY, only may, go up, if for the first year there is, in fact, a shortage in your escrow account, but the monthly payment would likely stay at the new payment amount, at least until property taxes go up, homeowners insurance goes up. Again, it unlikely, but possible you monthly payment, because of shortages in your escrow could go up a second year, but likely NO more years because of the initial shortages in your escrow, again, it may not go up for the second year, again, "been there done that."

You may be concerned for nothing. Good luck to you, yep, the best bet is to call the appraisal district for most of this, you can have the title company explain what happened at closing for answers to the rest of your questions. Again, best of luck.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 05-09-2019 at 09:58 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 10:22 AM

724 posts, read 529,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I just bought a house September 2018. The previous owners had a 65 and over homestead and so the lenders were not able to calculate the property taxes. Our realtor told us to expect a shortage on our escrow come the new year to make up the difference.

We received a check in the mail last month for an escrow surplus of $980. I'm confused as to why I'm receiving this check. Should we save this money to pay taxes next year?

Also, we've been saving $200 extra each month and plan to use it in any property tax increase so that our mortgage doesn't shoot up. My husband is upset that we are going to end up being short $3000 in escrow. Does this sound right? We dont want to have to be saving $200 extra each month if we dont need to.

Please help me understand how and why my mortgage will increase next year (2020)
There is no way to help you do the math without know the actual numbers.

The $980 was the difference between the projected taxes that they've been impounding, and the actual tax bill, less the statutory amount that needs to be maintained in the escrow account. (I think this is 2 months of reserves for HO Ins and taxes?).

The net tax bill will not have the 65+ exemption, which will means all of a sudden, your escrow account will be way short and they will make you catch up. I don't think it's going to be $3K short though, but it could be if the house is $500-600K I guess.

You really need to compare old tax bill to new tax bill and do the math. It's a good thing you've been stashing the $200/mo aside, add the $980 to that until you can get the actual numbers to do the math with.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
I don't think it's going to be $3K short though, but it could be if the house is $500-600K I guess.
It all depends on how long the school tax has been frozen. Even on a $300k house, that would not be hard to imagine that increase.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 AM

724 posts, read 529,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It all depends on how long the school tax has been frozen. Even on a $300k house, that would not be hard to imagine that increase.
That’s true. But based on the $980 refund, I still don’t think a $3K shortfall would be in place. However, it’s all speculation without knowing what the actual numbers look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: